Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Stupid crap we've all done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have NEVER done anything stoopid in my life.

...bless me father for I have sinned..........................

Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #12

Liked 1282 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
We once cut down 17 trees...in the wrong yard.

2 houses with the same numerical address but different streets, a block away from each other. They get each other's mail all the time, pizza, etc.. even a lumber delivery got dropped in the wrong driveway. There was 17 trees marked, the addy matched up so we went to work. When the homeowner came home he acted shocked and upset but we later came to find out he was taking estimates earlier to have those trees removed. Of course he sued and ended up getting 2k per tree from our insurance co, and his trees cut for free...

We made the news and everything...oops

True story...
I have a similar story: In the early 70s our city was going through a construction boom. They were building houses as fast as they could lay out subdivisions. I was sent, with a crew to rough-in the plumbing on a house in one of the new, and poorly marked subdivisions. There were several foundations in a row. I picked the address and went to work. I kept noticing that a contractor that I didn't know kept riding by, eyeballling my crew....

As we were packing up, with the rough completed, inspected and backfilled, he stopped by to thank us for putting the plumbing in the wrong house. Oops.

My boss at that time was the biggest tightwad in the state. Needless to say, he was not a happy camper...... Oh well!

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #13

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Tex, you know you've messed up when you can read, "caution: hot surface" in the burns...
Yeah, I've done that!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I took a chance of being born on this planet. I don't remember the agreement or even the acceptance, but once I realized that I was trapped here I knew I made a very stupid choice. All I can do now is just ride it out.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #15

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Welll....My brother (16) got a new .17 HMR and his trigger finger was really itching. We live in a more rural area but we have neighbors about 50ft away on either side and we live on a busier road. He slides down the bathroom window and puts about 5 rounds into our Dirt Pile/Backstop.

Neighbor 1 called the police, and nothing against em, but 2 police women show up to our house, guns drawn, yelling "WHERE'S THE GUN?!?!?!" etc. etc.

I answer calmly, tell them what transpired, and that while stupid, and breaking the 500ft rule (although we had all of our neighbors' permission) he was being safe. The officers asked us to bring out all of our firearms (Including replicas, airsoft, bb guns, knives, and ammo)

after about 9 trips, all of our stuff is laid out in the living room and they're just staring at our collection...even said "Jesus Christ...what are you kids doing?!"

I went on to explain that we are competetive shooters that help educate local youth about firearms, safety and conservation and that my brother was being a little dumb.

She let us go with a warning instead of confiscating nearly $17,000 worth of guns (Including my competition gun! I would've been PISSED!)

Old 05-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8617 Times on 3734 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

For you youngsters out there- the ones that still have all their teeth- some of us have dentures. In my case, an upper plate.

One of the things you don't think of- the denture covers not only the gums, but the roof of your mouth. With the result that you NEVER burn the roof of your mouth with anything hot- because of the layer of denture material between the molten-lava-cheese-sauce-sticks-to-body-parts-like-napalm and your body.

Until the day you absent-mindedly take a bite of the mac & cheese just out of the oven, forgetting that you have not yet put your upper plate in place.....and run around looking for a putty knife to scrape this incandescent glob off the roof of your mouth, or an ice cube to toss in there and harden the magma.

Compounded by folks asking you what is wrong, and you being unable to respond in any manner except HOCK! HOCK! DOO DAM HOCK!

I would have throughly savaged the daughter for rolling on the kitchen floor laughing, but SHE is probably the one that will pick out my nursing home someday......

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #17

Liked 2378 Times on 1545 Posts

Too funny, c3. My buddies stupid thang...I stumbled out of a bar with a couple buddies (years ago) during an ice storm. One talked me and the other into going to a different bar. The driver wasn't drunk but he is a little on the hyperactive side. He was eager to brag about the electronic all wheel drive in his olds bravada. The next thing I know we are doing 103 mph... on ice. I was waiting for it to start spinning or getting squirrelly but it stayed straight.They never should have quit making those bravadas.
When I was younger and a lot dumber...
I had bought a Taurus 357 with a custom trigger job. Long story short the springs were so light they didn't always strike the primer hard enough to ignite it. I was pi$$&! but I loved the trigger pull... so much I kept pulling it while walking back to the house. I thought for sure I counted six bangs with about 15 trigger pulls when BANG, about small bomb crater three inches from my foot. I broke three of the four gun safety rules and almost wet myself on that one, I wish I had it recorded for a YouTube video.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6956 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

Well, there was the time my brother and I caught a shrub on fire in front of the house on July 4th, around 0700, trying to light a too wet cattail. We decided it would dry if we put some fire to it. My brother dipped it in gasoline from the lawn mower and lit it. It went 'POOF' and my brother got scared and threw the flaming cattail into a shrub. The fire started, he ran to get the garden hose to put it out. He didn't turn it on with enough force and while he was holding the hose to the shrub he told me to go turn the water on to a faster flow. Me, being only about 7, didn't know which way was off and which way would make the water flow faster. Yep, I turned it the wrong way and he had a fit. I turned it the other way and he finally got the fire out. By then, the people across the street had seen our antics in front of the house and called the fire department. Needless to say my Mother was not happy to wake up and find the fire department in front of her house.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #19

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

M1 Garand thumb. Did it several times in my early teens until I got it into my thick head to rip the bolt all the way back. Hurts like a mofo. Done more dumber, dangerous things in my youth and lived, but don't think I should put them on a public forum. Kids might get ideas.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #20

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Just the other day I rode a bicycle down this 50+ foot tall steep hill. Needless to say at the jump at the end of the hill I got a good 4-5 feet of air. Only my bike went one way and I went the other, completely screwing up my back when landing hard on star thistle. Flying through the air at high velocities is not fun without the bike under you.

-Matt