Stupid crap we've all done
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Stupid crap we've all done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Stupid crap we've all done

Let's hear it. I got the idea because I just did something totally idiotic.

I'm reseasoning my great grandmother's cast iron cookware that's been stored for probably 20 years or more...
Heating it up as hot as I can and knocking off the 115 years worth of grease buildup on the outside, and then seasoning it with hot oil...
Anyways, I spilled a little oil, so I switched eyes on the stove so I could clean it up before it catches fire, and I (extremely stupidly) grabbed the grate with my bare hand. Yeah. It smarts a bit. I could smell it cook.

So...share your idiocy, please. Make me feel better about myself.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

This site simply doesn't have the capacity for me to list all the stupid crap I've done in 52 years.

NEVER FORGET

Old 05-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just told this story yesterday.. but its always a good one to share about my stupidity.

Many years ago I had a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder that I purchased as a parts truck for my '91 Nissan pick-up.

I literally bought it off of a guy, driving down the road by my house who was on his way to a scrap yard to junk the truck. He told me it had two blown cylinders and was only running on 4 cylinders, but it still ran. I bought it for $300. The truck was in amazing shape, so I figured I'd go over really well to see if I could save it, instead of ripping it apart.

I started my process of elimination. Checking the fuels lines,oil,battery,spark plugs,air filter,etc...

Next I started the motor to check the spark from the wires to the plugs. Using non-conductive pliers I started pulling each individual wire from the plugs and looking for the spark while the motor was running. So now I'm leaning into the engine bay with my knees pressed against the front bumper (the pathfinder has steel bumpers) I got to cylinder no.4, I lost grip of the sparkwire and it headed toward the fan.

My first instinct is "grab the wire before it gets wrapped in the fan". Big mistake that was. I felt every bit of electricity go through my hands,chest,stomach,legs and then finally out of my knees and into that steel bumper.

I can honestly say... that was nothing like sticking your tongue to a 9v battery.

EDIT: I did at least get that truck running and saved it from its doom. Turns out it had 2 clogged fuel injectors.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #4

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

We once cut down 17 trees...in the wrong yard.

2 houses with the same numerical address but different streets, a block away from each other. They get each other's mail all the time, pizza, etc.. even a lumber delivery got dropped in the wrong driveway. There was 17 trees marked, the addy matched up so we went to work. When the homeowner came home he acted shocked and upset but we later came to find out he was taking estimates earlier to have those trees removed. Of course he sued and ended up getting 2k per tree from our insurance co, and his trees cut for free...

We made the news and everything...oops

True story...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 05-27-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Slow speed crusing the neighborhood, late at night- in a police cruiser. Holding radio mike in right hand, Steering with heel of right hand. Make a low speed left turn- smartly wrapping the microphone cord right around the steering column. Problem was, I ran out of slack on the mike cord, but still had to turn the wheel some more or hit THAT! (Fixed object, property of US Postal Service, painted blue)

Had to buy beer for the guys in the radio shop to get them to quit laughing, had to write report to the boss detailing my SIP (stupid in public) and pay for the damage to the mike cord.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

120mph on gravel in a Hyundai scoupe.

175mph on a R1.

A seven year relationship with a crazy bitch.

Backing into an Infiniti q45 with my fedex truck.

Maintaining employment at my current job.

Those are the easiest to tell

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed
120mph on gravel in a Hyundai scoupe.

175mph on a R1.

A seven year relationship with a crazy bitch.

Backing into an Infiniti q45 with my fedex truck.

Maintaining employment at my current job.

Those are the easiest to tell
You're racking up quite the record. I've done at least one of those.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #8

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1198

i got married

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

BunnyWabbit Likes This 
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1
i got married
Not always a bad thing, depending on who it is.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I never do anything stupid... J/K

I have a habit of not waiting for stuff to cool down before I grab it, so I get burned a lot (most of the time, it doesn't leave a blister). It happens mostly out in the shop. I've been getting better at not doing that though.

Trip, I had a sort of similar experience to yours a while back. I had just taken 4 pot pies out of the oven, and as I was turning to set them down, they all decided to slide to one side of the pan. When they did that, I began to lose my grip on them. Well, reaction happened faster than thought, so I grabbed the other side of the pan with my ungloved hand. The good news is that I saved the pot pies, the bad news is that I had a nice imprint of the pan burned into my hand for awhile.