Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Study Abroad Program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Study Abroad Program

I'm wondering if anyone here has had kids go overseas on a study abroad program. Looking for hints, tips, advice anything you'd care to share.

My daughter is going to Florence, Italy in May and returning in August. Tuition and room will be 7k, food is extra (kitchens in each room), flight right now is $1,300, they will have two guided tours included in the 7k with some extra time to do short tours on their own.

I've checked each airline until I'm blue in the face and they all are within a couple hundred dollars of each other. The flight I'm looking at is the shortest of the bunch and will get her to Florence about the time they will be issuing rooms. A friend from school will be her travel and room mate so at least she'll know someone.

So, any tips or advice?

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #2

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

YES, @ this point in time, think about cancelling!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Too much money would be lost to cancel now. She is in her senior year, with double majors in Italian and French languages, 18 credit hours will be earned so she'll only have 5 more to fulfill the requirements for her majors when she returns.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post

So, any tips or advice?
Watch "Taken" together as a family.
Really though, make sure she knows to keep her passport safe and know where the nearest US military bases, embassy, and consulate are just in case. Aside from that, tell her to have fun and do good, it's a crazy good chance to experience some culture beyond America. Also if she doesn't have one now, get her a decent digital camera and a good SD card.

Oh and I'm assuming the flight is round trip.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
YES, @ this point in time, think about cancelling!
As a father, I have to say that is good advice with what is going on in the world. As a member of the "I should have done....." club, I have to say give her the opportunity if you can afford it.
My sister studied in Spain, Puerto Rico, and Mexico while working on her Spanish major, she also was majoring in Mass Communications. It was a great experience for her. This was in the late 70's, so the world has made some extreme changes. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Watch "Taken" together as a family.
Really though, make sure she knows to keep her passport safe and know where the nearest US military bases, embassy, and consulate are just in case. Aside from that, tell her to have fun and do good, it's a crazy good chance to experience some culture beyond America. Also if she doesn't have one now, get her a decent digital camera and a good SD card.

Oh and I'm assuming the flight is round trip.
Good tip re: embassy and US contacts, I hadn't thought about that.

Yes, round trip flight, one stop each way. I also think that experiencing the culture will coincide with her studies. I am somewhat concerned with the mideast problems maybe flowing over into Europe also.

I bought her a Pentax k-x with two high speed cards. We went to a hockey game last week and she took 345 pictures and burst speeds were about 5-7 frames per second. She's happy with it.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6738 Times on 4071 Posts
Likes Given: 8030

Car54. do you have a passport in case you have to fly out there in an emergency? That would be imperative to me.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Too much money would be lost to cancel now. She is in her senior year, with double majors in Italian and French languages, 18 credit hours will be earned so she'll only have 5 more to fulfill the requirements for her majors when she returns.

GODSPEED brother, and may she be safe in her travels!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me