Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > stubborn dog problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I have had good luck with a squirt bottle filled with water. When they commit the infraction spray them in the face repeatedly. They do not like that, but it certainly does not hurt them.

Really, an insecure dog will try to stay close to the alpha for safety and security. I have a 130# mastiff that WILL NOT spend more than one minute away from my wife. She must be in his view anytime she is home. Once she is in bed for the night, he will settle in and sleep like a log. If she gets up, there he is following her like a lost puppy. He will cry like a little biotch if he gets locked out of the room, but will take a chunk out of anyone that tries to get too close to her. Our dogs are all rescues. We try to take into consideration the mistreatment they must have endured in their pasts. They have it good now and do not want the savior to get away.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw View Post
Close the door with you on the inside and her out. Wait untiil she starts to try to open it, then in a strong voice tall her no. You will have to do this several times, when she stops, reward her with a treat and tell her how good she is. Dogs really want to please their masters, we just are not good at communicating with them. No need to hit her, she will not understand why she is being hit, no matter what you hit her with.
CBW sounds like you know about training pets. You are correct about praising a good behavior.

I had a dog training business for many years. "Have A Heart Kennel".. Y ou must catch your dog thinking about or while doing it if you want a scolding to work. Beating the crap out of a dog after the fact only works if your dog is psychic.. "YOU" will need alot of training if you want your dog to read your mind.

Leave the door cracked open just a little, when you see her starting to come in, yell with athority "NO". You will need to do this many times to get the idea across. Or you can use a colored towel, rag, cloth, ribbon on the door when you do not want her to come in. For the first few times you will need to correct her. Use the rag trick when you say "NO", after a while whe will know the colored rag means no pets. Every dog is different just the same as kids, the same as shooting a gun, no 2 people shoot the same. No 2 dogs train the same.

Good luck with the pooch..

Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #13

I think shes starting to get the hang of it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #14

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
A rolled up newspaper works well. Doesn't hurt the dog but does sound like it would.

If that doesn't work, trade it in.
Because dogs are like shirts, right? If they don't fit, you just take 'em back and get a different one?

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #15

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

ive found that the stubborn ones respond to electricity very well.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think it is too bad that you hafta live in an old refrigerator box

Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Every time the pup is uncooperative, think to yourself "at least i didn't get a cat".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.