stubborn dog problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > stubborn dog problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default stubborn dog problem

Just to put it simply my three year old beagle mix (female, fixed) likes to come into her masters room any time she wants. because i have a folding door it does not take much for her to gain entry, she ruined my old door and i just had a new one put on yesterday (last one had slits from were she had cut it and everything, new one is more heavy duty). if she does get it i tell her "out" and she will leave, though within 5 min. she will attempt to get back in.
I do not care if she comes in while the door is open, just when it is shut i expect her to know to keep out.

any suggestions on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #2

A rolled up newspaper works well. Doesn't hurt the dog but does sound like it would.

If that doesn't work, trade it in.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Accept the fact that she is a sentient being, and only allows you to believe that you're running the house, because it amuses her.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
cbw

Close the door with you on the inside and her out. Wait untiil she starts to try to open it, then in a strong voice tall her no. You will have to do this several times, when she stops, reward her with a treat and tell her how good she is. Dogs really want to please their masters, we just are not good at communicating with them. No need to hit her, she will not understand why she is being hit, no matter what you hit her with.

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw View Post
Close the door with you on the inside and her out. Wait untiil she starts to try to open it, then in a strong voice tall her no. You will have to do this several times, when she stops, reward her with a treat and tell her how good she is. Dogs really want to please their masters, we just are not good at communicating with them. No need to hit her, she will not understand why she is being hit, no matter what you hit her with.
This, and you could try one of those baby gates to block her from getting to the door.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
A rolled up newspaper works well. Doesn't hurt the dog but does sound like it would.

If that doesn't work, trade it in.
Really beat your dog. You haven't trained many dogs have you? I don't care if you think it doesn't hurt. That has been proven over and over again that the use of "Scare" or punishment training doesn't work as good as reward training. Positive reinforcement is the key to training a good dog. I can teach my dog to do thing is as little as 1 or 2 days if I stay on it and I don't need to beat her into submission.

Simple thing is leave the door open. My dog is allowed to go where ever she wants. When we are not home we close doors and use a baby gate.

Sounds like you need to take her to some classes and learn the simple stuff first. I would not go to petsmart but find a facility that offers classes in your area. Sit, stay, heal, come, off, down, bed are what she needs to learn first.

A Lot of people confuse off and down. I tell her down if I want her to lay down I tell her off if i want her off of something or someone.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe the pup is lonely; get it a stuffed animal friend or a companion.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Really beat your dog. You haven't trained many dogs have you? I don't care if you think it doesn't hurt. That has been proven over and over again that the use of "Scare" or punishment training doesn't work as good as reward training. Positive reinforcement is the key to training a good dog. I can teach my dog to do thing is as little as 1 or 2 days if I stay on it and I don't need to beat her into submission.

Simple thing is leave the door open. My dog is allowed to go where ever she wants. When we are not home we close doors and use a baby gate.

Sounds like you need to take her to some classes and learn the simple stuff first. I would not go to petsmart but find a facility that offers classes in your area. Sit, stay, heal, come, off, down, bed are what she needs to learn first.

A Lot of people confuse off and down. I tell her down if I want her to lay down I tell her off if i want her off of something or someone.

Tango has hit it on the head, dogs are basically pack animals who want to please the "Alpha" of the pack (read owner). She wants to be by you to please you. Repetition is the best way, not beating, they do not undertand the use of force against them. Training dogs is alot like training children. Patience and Repetition. Baby gates are great if you have an area where you don't want the dog to go into. They make some that have a framework and swing like a half-door so that you do not have to step over it. The main thing is continuity. If you don't want the dog to go somewhere, or do something, don't let him/her do/go sometimes and then get mad sometimes when they do the same thing.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't know enough to know I am in over my head when it comes to actually "training" a dog - but I have learned a lot of stuff the hard way.

I have two Germans, the boy is about 110# and the girl is growing fast and is probably around 60#.

Needless to say, when they want something, they are a handful until they get it. And it doesn't matter if it's outside, in my lap when I am trying to type on the forum or just dinner. They are VERY persuasive.

Anyways, I was looking for some help in getting them to behave a little better and believe it or not, I found from that Caeser/Dog whisperer fruitloop. I personally can't stand the guy and think he is making gazillions of dollars doing what anybody that surrounded themselves with dogs for 24 hours a day could do.

I was channel surfing and saw he was talking to a guy with a Mastiff and the dog had some traits that were far worse than mine were, so I was intrigued.

He was saying that a lot of times dogs will go against their commands to get attention, even if it's negative attention. One of the ways to counter that is to exercise them regularly, with you, so they get that bonding, but also get tired.

We started a strict regime of every morning we play fetch with the dogs before we leave for work. When I get home first during the week, I play fetch with them. When the lady comes home about 50% of the time she plays with them, then before bed we both play fetch with them.

Every session takes about 10 or 15 minutes, but the dogs are running the whole time and they get exhausted.

We have been doing this for about 2 months now, almost every day, and the dogs have been a lot better. No more chewing on stuff, no more being bad for the sake of being bad. They listen much better than before, though they are hardly ready for any competitions, and they are generally better mannered.

This weekend was a classic example of the opposite. It was raining, cold and miserable, so neither of us wanted to take them out on Saturday morning. We had got up later than normal, fed them and turned on the fireplace. Sure enough, dogs running amock and being a pain in the ass.

20 minutes in the rain later, they were asleep on the foor and happiness was restored.

Odd as it sounds, playing fetch was WAY better for them than nightly walks on the leash and it truly worked for my two.

Good luck.

JD

Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Is the dog getting enough excursive? Field dogs like a beagle need plenty of time running with the pack. (That’s you and your family) Have you done any other training? Sit, stay, come, and heal. Training basic commands like this are the start to getting a dog to understand and obey more complicated behavior modifications. Understand a dog is a social animal that wants to be with it's pack. They do not like to be alone. If they are lonely dogs will misbehave to get your attention even if that attention is anger.

Exercise, discipline (not beating) and affection are the keys to having a well behaved dog.