Strict Dad
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Strict Dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Strict Dad

I'm 16 - my Dad is very against guns and the whole firearms culture. But I've tried to explain to him that this is a part of life in today's society.

Quite simple. The cops have guns, the public should have a similiar right. Dad won't listen, or let me go anywhere near guns.

Is he being unreasonable? Or am I?

Danny

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You're 16, and have to live by his rules while in his house. Once you move out, buy a shotgun! Until then...dream about the arsenal you shall someday own!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

what dave said....

Old 10-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
You're 16, and have to live by his rules while in his house. Once you move out, buy a shotgun! Until then...dream about the arsenal you shall someday own!
Plenty of dreams, yup!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

He's your father, listen to him until you're supporting yourself.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #6

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

I would say to respect your dad until you turn 18 and move out. But do as much research as possible. When you are old enough, take a shooting class and buy a gun.

There are a lot of people like your dad. You may never win him over. Fighting with parents as a teenager is not in your best interest.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #7

I do know what you're saying, and I do try to show respect. Just sometimes I wish he would be a little more flexible and open-minded. I try to see his point of view, and I know it's his house and his rules. But I would like him to make a little more effort to understand my views too.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think we all probably went through the same thing when we were teenagers. It's part of the life cycle. Good luck with it. You seem like a polite, well-spoken young man. You'll be okay.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with everyone here. hang in there and when you're on your own you can buy as many guns as you want.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

Okay, here is a moment of truth. I was like that, too, when my children were younger. I didn't know anything about guns and I worried about my children's safety. I thought guns killed people and they were nothing but trouble. I worried there were guns in their friends house when my children went to play at other's homes. Then I met someone who taught me about gun safety. Of course, this was just a year ago and my children are all adults. He told me my car is more dangerous than a gun. He asked me if I hid the knives from my children when they were in their teens because a knife could be a dangerous thing, too. He explained to me the rules of gun safety and that a gun is NOT for flaunting around and to intimidate people. Then I flew out to California to visit this friend and he took me to a shooting range. He was very kind a patient and let me try several guns. He made sure not to hand me a gun that would possibly scare me with some fierce recoil. I got hooked and within 5 months of being back home, I bought my first gun. (Oddly enough I bought a .357 Magnum revolver that has some 'good' recoil but I kind of like it.) My children were shocked!! That is the last thing they ever would have thought I would do. Oftentimes, people are fearful of things they know little or nothing about. That was definitely my situation. My daughter was appalled as I spend a lot of time with my 4 year old granddaughter at my house. My gun is always locked in a Gun Vault. My family's safety is of utmost importance to me. But as others have said, you must respect your Father. I'm sure he has your best interest and safety at heart. When you get out on your own, buy yourself whatever gun suits your fancy and take him shooting. Teach him the facts about gun safety and show him what a great hobby target shooting can be. Prove yourself to be a responsible young man not only in gun safety but in other aspects of your life, too. My oldest son has gone target shooting with me and we had a great time together. I agree with Rick1967 to research and learn all you can. Also, as Rick said, there are a lot of people like your Dad and I was one of them. I even cringed when they shot water 'guns' at each other. My kids were not allowed any guns as toys but then they started building guns with Lego's and using their index fingers as guns and pointing and shooting bananas at each other. I must say my children have all grown up to be kinds, caring and compassionate adults. None of them have ever shot anyone and they have no violent tendencies despite the fact they 'shot' each other often. I was very, VERY misinformed and I am embarrassed to be revealing this information about me. I'm just saying I understand where your Dad might be coming from, even though he is misinformed. We all grow and learn and change as we go through life. Again, follow his rules and you can do what you want when you get out on your own. Maybe in the future you and your Dad can share some fun times together with a gun. Good luck and be patient. I know your Father loves you and he is looking out for you in the only way he knows how.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 10-10-2010 at 01:49 PM.