Stray cats - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Stray cats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7102 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You were luckier than I was. I never got a drop. He would shut down the flow and beat feet before I ever got close. It became a game to him, too. He was having as much fun as the neighbors were.
I think it's easier to collect a urine specimen from a female dog than a leg lifting male dog.
Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 677 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Best thing you'll be able to do, is not to keep them out while letting him in, but to FEED him where ONLY he can get to the food.

Enclosed back patio was mentioned. This is a good idea.

If you can manage to feed your cat, without feeding the ferals, that would possibly do the trick.

Personally, I'm a fan of doing away with feral cats that become a nuisance.
My place has an area of deep woods, then a housing development on the other side. When I moved here in 2001, I put up bird houses and bluebird houses, my wife feeds the birds, etc.

I started noticing bird feathers every morning around the house, barn and bird feeder. I would see cats out in the field. I started setting out a cage trap every night.
I lost count of the cats I caught at 52 cats. Most of them were black. Apparently sometime in the past the people behind me had turned their cats loose to forage on their own in the woods. These were feral to the extreme.

Cats are hell on wild bird population. Once they discover that there are baby birds in bird nests or bird houses, they will eat every one they find.

I haven’t caught one in a couple of years. But I don’t do catch and release. Once an animal has been caught and released from a cage, it will never be caught again.

Of course I don’t suggest doing this to the neighbors tabby! When I lived in a neighborhood and caught a neighbors cat, I would douse him good with a water hose before I turned him loose. Usually they stayed away after that.

“Too often … we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought,” JFK

Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #23

Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Get a box trap and a garden hose. :-D

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #24

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Every loose cat is a feral cat. If a person cares so little for their pet cat that they let it run loose in the countryside they have no business owning a cat. Cats kill for fun. Cats are excellent killers. Cats very often torture their prey. Cats kill many millions of birds every year. Ohio Game and Fish found the favorite food of cats in one area was pheasant.

Cats are one of the top threats to US wildlife, killing billions of animals each year.................
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My cats like to have food available all day, but they don't NEED it not even to the point that they would seek it out elsewhere. Put out food for your cat for a half-hour each morning and evening, and monitor his feeding, at least in the beginning. It might actually improve the cat's bonding to you and your house.

It is entirely possible that some or all of the other cats are his associates/friends, be they strays or neighborhood pets.

If the other cats attack him or become aggressive, start at airsoft guns (cheap) and work your way up. I have found the smaller box traps work better, as the cat cannot avoid the trigger as easily.

Quote:
I'll play. Where does one buy granulated cougar urine? Also, does it have to be reapplied after it rains?

Okay. One more. How does one harvest cougar pee? I've tried to catch a urine sample from my dog, and that's darn near impossible. They gave me a little french fry tray looking thing and told me to follow the dog when I let him out. That was it. That was the end of the instructions. They failed to mention that a dog can shut it off long before that catch tray is ever in position, let alone the reaction of the neighbors watching me trying to collect a sample. That vet is either a sadist or has one warped sense of humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
ROFL.............I've had to collect a urine specimen from a female Border Collie I had many years ago. It was an adventure, indeed. She would squat, I'd push the tray under her, she'd look at me like I was crazy and walk away. I'd usually get a small amount, though. Then if I tried again, I'd let her out and follow her. She'd be looking at me over her shoulder every few steps. She was on to me. LOL
Quote:
You were luckier than I was. I never got a drop. He would shut down the flow and beat feet before I ever got close. It became a game to him, too. He was having as much fun as the neighbors were.
Did neither of you consider a doggy diaper?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Every loose cat is a feral cat. If a person cares so little for their pet cat that they let it run loose in the countryside they have no business owning a cat. Cats kill for fun. Cats are excellent killers. Cats very often torture their prey. Cats kill many millions of birds every year. Ohio Game and Fish found the favorite food of cats in one area was pheasant.

Cats are one of the top threats to US wildlife, killing billions of animals each year.................
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690
I prefer cats to birds in my wildlife.

If only we could incentivize the ferals to attack bears. What a hellish death that would be for the bear, dozens of scratching, biting cats ripping off its bits and shredding its eyes and testicles......sorry, misting up a bit here.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #27

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Put up no trespassing signs.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

orangello Likes This 
Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #28

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Note my sig line \/ \/ \/

I feel for cats about the same way Orangello feels about bears.
I'm with our Oceania friends about this. It should be a 365 day open season on them.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Did neither of you consider a doggy diaper?
Nope. I did consider a Texas Catheter, but then I fell back on paramedic rule #16. If the doctor wants a sample, let the doctor get the sample.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1590 Times on 1087 Posts
Likes Given: 553

We used to have a lot of quail, whippoorwills and rabbits. Now we don't have any small game or birds that nest on the ground. The dogcatcher put a trap behind my house with no bait. I fixed that error and he ended up catching close to 45 cats in that trap. He put a trap at my neighbors without bait. I told him what the problem was with the trap. The dog catcher caught so many cats there he couldn't keep track of them all.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato