Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Stray cats (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/stray-cats-97495/)

bigbomar4 09-23-2013 03:23 AM

Stray cats

Is there any way to keep stray cats away yet still letting my cat come in the yard? My cat stays outside because I am way to allergic to let him in the house. There are four stray cats that I have seen in the neighborhood and I just caught two of them eating out of my cats food bowl.

Iím thinking maybe trap them and release them outside of town or take them to the shelter but the city had a trap behind my house for awhile and I donít think they ever caught any cats.

Any suggestions?

DrFootball 09-23-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbomar4
Is there any way to keep stray cats away yet still letting my cat come in the yard? My cat stays outside because I am way to allergic to let him in the house. There are four stray cats that I have seen in the neighborhood and I just caught two of them eating out of my cats food bowl.

I’m thinking maybe trap them and release them outside of town or take them to the shelter but the city had a trap behind my house for awhile and I don’t think they ever caught any cats.

Any suggestions?

Granulated Cougar urine. no joke,..it keeps them away....also works on everything from Feral cats up to mtn. lions

bigbomar4 09-23-2013 04:19 AM

Wouldn't that also keep my cat away?

I was hoping for some kinda automatic laser targeting air soft turret that only my cats collar would deactivate or something. I expect better than powdered cat piss from you people. lol

If I was trying to keep ALL of the cats away a thin line of crushed red pepper around the yard will do the trick.

winds-of-change 09-23-2013 04:28 AM

I think it's impossible to keep strays away and let only your cat in the yard. Please don't trap and remove those cats. If you do trap them, please take them to a shelter. Are you sure they're strays and not your neighbor's cats? Is there any enclosed porch or something you can let your cat into that the strays might not enter? Or maybe a basement you can let your cat into yet keeping him from the main house?

TekGreg 09-23-2013 04:33 AM

A thin line of crushed pepper probably wouldn't work as cats don't smell every inch of the ground they walk on. Even knowing it was there, they could jump over it with ease.

Traps are only as good as their bait. I once trapped a dozen feral cars in about eight days and turned them over to animal control (just in case one wasn't feral) by using cans of tuna. Very few cats will turn that down! I also found that it helps to use a larger trap, about medium to large dog size, as the cat isn't as leery of the larger open area in the trap. Covering it with brush and leaves so it didn't look as trap-like also helped. You'll have to keep your cat away (friend or boarding) so he doesn't keep tripping it.

Another effective deterrent is a motion activated Rain Bird reciprocating sprinkler. This turns on and runs for 5-10 minutes every time an animal activates the sensor. We use it for deer on our property to protect the garden and it works. As much as cats hate water, I know it would work on them, but unsure how you could protect your own kitty from getting soaked.

nitestalker 09-23-2013 04:33 AM

Take your cat to a pound and pick up a Pit Bull. The cats won't eat his food.:D

bigbomar4 09-23-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1380578)
I think it's impossible to keep strays away and let only your cat in the yard. Please don't trap and remove those cats. If you do trap them, please take them to a shelter. Are you sure they're strays and not your neighbor's cats? Is there any enclosed porch or something you can let your cat into that the strays might not enter? Or maybe a basement you can let your cat into yet keeping him from the main house?

I know my neighbors cats and I have not seen any of them in my back yard. I don't have any type of enclosed back porch or basement.

rjd3282 09-23-2013 04:48 AM

Seriously? You don't just shoot the damn things?

bigbomar4 09-23-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekGreg (Post 1380582)
A thin line of crushed pepper probably wouldn't work as cats don't smell every inch of the ground they walk on. Even knowing it was there, they could jump over it with ease.

I used that at my old house and it worked 100% of the time... until it rained.

bigbomar4 09-23-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1380583)
Take your cat to a pound and pick up a Pit Bull. The cats won't eat his food.:D

In general I hate cats and they normally hate me but this one is working for my by keeping pests away from the garden and the house and for some reason he likes me.