Straw purchase witnessed today - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Straw purchase witnessed today

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

So... This is different from boyfriends and husbands buying guns for their wives/girlfriends, or parents buying guns for their coming of age children, how?

Does anyone KNOW it wasn't her daughter? Does anyone KNOW it wasn't for her, as the paperwork says, and paid for by the daughter because mom doesn't have the disposable income, or simply as a gift?

Would anyone have a problem if I took my mom into a store, let her pick one out, and then I put it on my own card, as a gift, so long as she does her own paperwork and background check?

Is there really a law regarding payment? I'm pretty sure the law basically states that the gun is owned and in possession of the one the background check is preformed on, disregarding where the payment comes from. I don't know for sure, but if that's not the case, then how do some shops get away with selling gift cards, hmm?

__________________
trip286 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Unless anyone KNOWS for a fact that the gun wasn't really for mom, I don't think anything illegal happened here, unless it was a violation of a local ordnance.

The story as relayed by the OP speaks of a gift purchase IMO, not a straw.

And, if you're witness to a crime, you have a duty to report it.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sonic82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis,Minnesota
Posts: 2,901
Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Unless anyone KNOWS for a fact that the gun wasn't really for mom, I don't think anything illegal happened here, unless it was a violation of a local ordnance.

The story as relayed by the OP speaks of a gift purchase IMO, not a straw.

And, if you're witness to a crime, you have a duty to report it.
Agreed....the gun was registered in Mom's name. Where she gets the funds to pay for it is nobody's busness IMO.
__________________
“He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.”
― Alexander Hamilton

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
Sonic82 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,474
Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Default

I saw a straw purchase couple years ago at a nation wide sporting goods store,I watched the whole transaction happen.

A young male and female are looking at rifles,at the store which was having a big sale on some of their rifles. The young man is asking all the questions about different calibers,models,and doing all the shouldering and physical gun inspections.

The young female finally asked him if that's the one he wanted? The young man nodded and said yes,that's when the female took over and told the clerk they decided on which rifle,I watched her fill out all the paperwork on the rifle along with back ground check.
They paid for it and the young man that didn't do the back ground check took possession of the rifle at the counter and told the female Thanks.
I don't know if the young man wasn't old enough to buy a firearm or if he had something on his record that kept him from passing the back ground check? Either way it didn't look like a legal gun pruchase?

__________________
MOshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

A very common and scarey one that happens every day is the "Wet Back Buys". A male Mexican and an English speaking female shop the guns. The non English speaking male talks to the female who speaks both English and Spainish.
After the male chooses a firearm the female makes the buy. I suspect if a dealer tried to turn down the Spainish speaking female he would end up in court.

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #36
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,164
Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Default

I suspect that in the exact scenario you have just described, the seller could wind up in court if he DID make that sale. And yes, have seen that scenario used to prosecute a dealer.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,155
Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Interesting. I wonder, were they trying to make sure the paperwork was in the mother's name since the firearm would be in her possesion, or were they doing this to avoid a failed background check/NICS call on the daughter?

My dear Mother bought me a pistol for Christmas; she picked it out (wrong model), filled out the 4473, passed the NICS call, and paid for it (TOO DAMN MUCH TO THOSE THIEVIN BASTIDS at GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS). She then wrapped it and put it under the tree. I opened it, praised it highly, and prepared to take the visibly scuffed & shopworn firearm back to those THIEVIN BASTIDS AT GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS. Mom did it correctly. She bought the firearm correctly and legally and THEN gifted it to me. I had to explain this to guess who, those THIEVIN BASTIDS AT GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS, when i took the firearm back to complain about its condition. After being informed on the telephone that they didn't usually do returns on firearms but would in this situation, AND waiting a long ass time for them to get around to checking the firearm's condition upon its return to their DEN OF LIES, they decided that she must have signed their form indicating that she had examined the firearm and was accepting custody of the firearm and that i was stuck with it in its OBVIOUSLY SHOPWORN AND MINORLY SCUFFED CONDITION. I finally harassed them into crediting her card a $50 adjustment due to the PISS POOR condition of the sale.

In short, buy for a close relative, THEN gift the gun. If they want it "in their name" have it transferred to them by your local FFL (why?).

Also, do not shop at those THIEVIN BASTIDS AT GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Interesting. I wonder, were they trying to make sure the paperwork was in the mother's name since the firearm would be in her possesion, or were they doing this to avoid a failed background check/NICS call on the daughter?

My dear Mother bought me a pistol for Christmas; she picked it out (wrong model), filled out the 4473, passed the NICS call, and paid for it (TOO DAMN MUCH TO THOSE THIEVIN BASTIDS at GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS). She then wrapped it and put it under the tree. I opened it, praised it highly, and prepared to take the visibly scuffed & shopworn firearm back to those THIEVIN BASTIDS AT GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS. Mom did it correctly. She bought the firearm correctly and legally and THEN gifted it to me. I had to explain this to guess who, those THIEVIN BASTIDS AT GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS, when i took the firearm back to complain about its condition. After being informed on the telephone that they didn't usually do returns on firearms but would in this situation, AND waiting a long ass time for them to get around to checking the firearm's condition upon its return to their DEN OF LIES, they decided that she must have signed their form indicating that she had examined the firearm and was accepting custody of the firearm and that i was stuck with it in its OBVIOUSLY SHOPWORN AND MINORLY SCUFFED CONDITION. I finally harassed them into crediting her card a $50 adjustment due to the PISS POOR condition of the sale.

In short, buy for a close relative, THEN gift the gun. If they want it "in their name" have it transferred to them by your local FFL (why?).

Also, do not shop at those THIEVIN BASTIDS AT GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS.
I take it you don't care for those THIEVIN BASTIDS AT GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,155
Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I take it you don't care for those THIEVIN BASTIDS AT GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS.
I would like to see them pet some wild grizzlies, and i'm fairly certain i made this abundantly clear to them, ALL of them.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #40
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 6,172
Liked 6896 Times on 3465 Posts
Likes Given: 7489

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
I saw a straw purchase couple years ago at a nation wide sporting goods store,I watched the whole transaction happen.

A young male and female are looking at rifles,at the store which was having a big sale on some of their rifles. The young man is asking all the questions about different calibers,models,and doing all the shouldering and physical gun inspections.

The young female finally asked him if that's the one he wanted? The young man nodded and said yes,that's when the female took over and told the clerk they decided on which rifle,I watched her fill out all the paperwork on the rifle along with back ground check.
They paid for it and the young man that didn't do the back ground check took possession of the rifle at the counter and told the female Thanks.
I don't know if the young man wasn't old enough to buy a firearm or if he had something on his record that kept him from passing the back ground check? Either way it didn't look like a legal gun pruchase?
'


Now that one clearly has questions that deserve reasonable answers before the weapon was sold, while it may have been completely legal, it sounds fishy. There are some grey areas that are less grey than others. I still believe innocent until proven guilty is the best policy, otherwise were chasing too many shadows and seeing ghosts behind every doorway.
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a "Straw Purchase" problem in MD? danf_fl NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 4 01-14-2013 11:32 PM
Straw Purchase? Inkster Legal and Activism 9 06-19-2012 02:20 PM
Is this a straw purchase? MichaelBarton General Handgun Discussion 20 02-01-2012 05:56 AM
Gun show purchase today Cadoll 1911 Forum 28 07-02-2011 04:54 PM