Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Straw purchase witnessed today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6103 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 6908

I think it doesn't matter who paid for it but I believe the background check should have been done on the person who was going to own the gun. Particularly if she were present.

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

Liked 3677 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

How...and why...is that wrong???

I asked for a gun as a gift, once. I went and filled out all the paperwork, a relative of mine paid for it, using a card, exact same scenario...That gun still sits in my safe, that relative is no longer with us. Same scenario you mentioned.

My first gun when I turned 18, was my 17 year old friend said to me "lets go shooting". He had money, so we went to a LGS, and I bought a Remington 597. He paid the lady in cash, we walked out, went in the woods and shot cans all day. Then I took the gun home. I still have that rifle.

I see nothing wrong with what happened, and *GASP!!!! Sometimes I sell my guns to friends....

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #13

Liked 6103 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 6908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
How...and why...is that wrong???

I asked for a gun as a gift, once. I went and filled out all the paperwork, a relative of mine paid for it, using a card, exact same scenario...That gun still sits in my safe, that relative is no longer with us. Same scenario you mentioned.

My first gun when I turned 18, was my 17 year old friend said to me "lets go shooting". He had money, so we went to a LGS, and I bought a Remington 597. He paid the lady in cash, we walked out, went in the woods and shot cans all day. Then I took the gun home. I still have that rifle.

I see nothing wrong with what happened, and *GASP!!!! Sometimes I sell my guns to friends....
I do believe the background check was done on the Mom even thought the daughter was right there. THAT'S what makes it wrong.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #14

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think it doesn't matter who paid for it but I believe the background check should have been done on the person who was going to own the gun. Particularly if she were present.
Exactly ------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #15

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I do believe the background check was done on the Mom even thought the daughter was right there. THAT'S what makes it wrong.
Its wrong IF the daughter was the intended owner -
Whos to say for sure the Mother wasn't & the girl was just paying for it?
Kids do it for parents--parents do it for kids (legal age of course)

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #16

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Legally that is a straw purchase. The background check is suposed to be done on the one paying for the gun. It would have been perfectly legal for the daughter to purchase the gun if the background check had been done on the daughter and then hand the gun to the mother as a gift.

It was probably inocent. But it was still not proper. My wife has gifted me many guns. But she always had to do the background check herself and pay for it herself. It asks on the form if you are the actual purchaser. If someone else is paying for it, you are not the actual purchaser.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #17

Liked 7547 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

While I agree with your sentiments, folks, this may have been an illegal sale.

If YOU buy a gun, and GIVE it to someone as a gift- that is legit, and not a strawman sale. If they give you the MONEY to buy it FOR THEM, that is a strawman sale. And that is illegal. Why? because that is the law.

Case in point- was at LGS, extremely busy, shop owner asked if I had a minute to talk with couple of gents that were shopping for a revolver. Sure (I drink their coffee, eat their brownies, do not mind helping out)

Young man, mid 20s, US Navy. Visiting his father-in-law, had expressed desire to buy a revover, FIL had brought him down to shop. I asked his duty station, home of record. Hmm. Both in another state. Explained that Fed law did not permit him to acquire a handgun in a state not his residence.
l
FIL asked if SIL could give him the money, and HE woud buy the gun, and give it to him. No. That is the classic description of a strawman sale. The ATF has a training video on Strawman Sales for dealers on their website.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I really don't see a problem. Mom wants/needs a gun, daughter buys for her. Under the mom's name.

Is it really any different than any man taking their girlfriend/wife into a gun store, saying "pick out what you want" and then buying it for them? The very same method many of us here have recommended in the past?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #19

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Ok, how's this for you then. What if she just said it was her daughter and it wasn't. How do you know? If it was a gift, why didn't she just buy it and give it to her.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #20

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Isn't there a question on the 4473 form asking you if this purchase is for you or someone else? If this question was answered incorrectly, I do believe there is a criminal act being performed.
earl