Straw purchase witnessed today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Straw purchase witnessed today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

While my wife and I were at a LGS we witnessed a Straw purchase. And African American woman and her daughter in her twenties were checking out in line in front of us. Background check had come back clean on the mother purchasing the gun. She hands her credit card to the dealer and says this is my daughters credit card. Then proceeds to tell her daughter to show her drivers license for ID clarification of card. The dealer looks puzzled at both then proceeds with checkout.
To me that was a red flag right there. I'm not saying it wasn't for the mother, but any question or suspicions arise and they are to reject the sale. That was suspicious to myself, wife, and the two gentlemen standing behind me by observation of their facial expressions.

Last edited by Renegade44; 01-19-2013 at 10:51 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I'm surprised it wasn't questioned. Clerk was not doing his job, let's hope it was for mom.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3110 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Dealer should not have continued with the checkout.

I would advise the manager and never do any business there. Should someone look into it, I would not want my name on any records.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Bigcountry02 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6903 Times on 3471 Posts
Likes Given: 7491

While the transaction could seem suspect by the nature of someone else paying for it, its not seemingly illegal in itself nor is it abnormal. If the daughter had bought her mom a new oven, nobody would think anything of it. Coulda, Mighta, isnt enough for anything but heavy handed guilty until proven innocent tactics of "People Control" FOOG.

No doubt, the clerk should have made the new owner confirm again at that point that the purchase was for her but a credit card transaction is less scary to me than someone handing a strawbuyer $5K in untraceable cash before they entered the shop to pick it up. We should be be careful not to start red Xing people for the possibility of doing bad things without an actual red flag being waved.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1024 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 225

It was a gift

Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Out here in Rural Upstate NY, Guns as gifts arent that strange and not only from relatives. My first gun was an Ithaca 22, single shot lever saddle gun. I was 11 years old and it was a gift from a family friend in Long Island as were all subsequent others gifts or inherited other than my Ithaca FW 12 Gauge, is that such a weird thing? Really, I think its special myself, each and every one of them has a sentimental connection to me that goes deeper than Wood and Cold Steel.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #7

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Families often have indistinct lines of purchase because of gifting, who has a card, who has a job, who made a previous purchase and was "owed", etc.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44 View Post
While my wife and I were at a LGS we witnessed a Straw purchase. And African American woman and her daughter in her twenties were checking out in line in front of us. Background check had come back clean on the mother purchasing the gun. She hands her credit card to the dealer and says this is my daughters credit card. Then proceeds to tell her daughter to show her drivers license for ID clarification of card. The dealer looks puzzled at both then proceeds with checkout.
To me that was a red flag right there. I'm not saying it wasn't for the mother, but any question or suspicions arise and they are to reject the sale. That was suspicious to myself, wife, and the two gentlemen standing behind me by observation of their facial expressions.
Hell my wife has paid like that on 90% of my guns

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

Hell my wife has paid like that on 90% of my guns
My ex wife would steal my guns
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Families often have indistinct lines of purchase because of gifting, who has a card, who has a job, who made a previous purchase and was "owed", etc.
Gotcha, I ust think the onus is on the owner not the legal vendor. Firearm Responsibility is that of the owner not someone selling a firearm who has been given no legal reason to question the purchase.

She nor the clerk likely didnt think twice about it because it alone isnt cause for concern, the background check is more than enough legal basis to transfer ownership.

Thats not saying background checks are effective, Im guessing most people that have things in their background that would prevent purchase know it, they wont buy one legally or they will do a private purchase that doesnt really need one. Gun Control is ineffective at doing anything but preventing Unfettered access to Firearms for Legal Citizens.