Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Straw purchase witnessed today (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/straw-purchase-witnessed-today-81829/)

Renegade44 01-19-2013 10:33 AM

While my wife and I were at a LGS we witnessed a Straw purchase. And African American woman and her daughter in her twenties were checking out in line in front of us. Background check had come back clean on the mother purchasing the gun. She hands her credit card to the dealer and says this is my daughters credit card. Then proceeds to tell her daughter to show her drivers license for ID clarification of card. The dealer looks puzzled at both then proceeds with checkout.
To me that was a red flag right there. I'm not saying it wasn't for the mother, but any question or suspicions arise and they are to reject the sale. That was suspicious to myself, wife, and the two gentlemen standing behind me by observation of their facial expressions.

sparky80 01-19-2013 10:44 AM

I'm surprised it wasn't questioned. Clerk was not doing his job, let's hope it was for mom.:rolleyes:

danf_fl 01-19-2013 10:45 AM

Dealer should not have continued with the checkout.

I would advise the manager and never do any business there. Should someone look into it, I would not want my name on any records.

WebleyFosbery38 01-19-2013 11:05 AM

While the transaction could seem suspect by the nature of someone else paying for it, its not seemingly illegal in itself nor is it abnormal. If the daughter had bought her mom a new oven, nobody would think anything of it. Coulda, Mighta, isnt enough for anything but heavy handed guilty until proven innocent tactics of "People Control" FOOG.

No doubt, the clerk should have made the new owner confirm again at that point that the purchase was for her but a credit card transaction is less scary to me than someone handing a strawbuyer $5K in untraceable cash before they entered the shop to pick it up. We should be be careful not to start red Xing people for the possibility of doing bad things without an actual red flag being waved.

partdeux 01-19-2013 11:24 AM

It was a gift

WebleyFosbery38 01-19-2013 11:56 AM

Out here in Rural Upstate NY, Guns as gifts arent that strange and not only from relatives. My first gun was an Ithaca 22, single shot lever saddle gun. I was 11 years old and it was a gift from a family friend in Long Island as were all subsequent others gifts or inherited other than my Ithaca FW 12 Gauge, is that such a weird thing? Really, I think its special myself, each and every one of them has a sentimental connection to me that goes deeper than Wood and Cold Steel.

Colby 01-19-2013 12:29 PM

Families often have indistinct lines of purchase because of gifting, who has a card, who has a job, who made a previous purchase and was "owed", etc.

HOSSFLY 01-19-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade44 (Post 1100423)
While my wife and I were at a LGS we witnessed a Straw purchase. And African American woman and her daughter in her twenties were checking out in line in front of us. Background check had come back clean on the mother purchasing the gun. She hands her credit card to the dealer and says this is my daughters credit card. Then proceeds to tell her daughter to show her drivers license for ID clarification of card. The dealer looks puzzled at both then proceeds with checkout.
To me that was a red flag right there. I'm not saying it wasn't for the mother, but any question or suspicions arise and they are to reject the sale. That was suspicious to myself, wife, and the two gentlemen standing behind me by observation of their facial expressions.

Hell my wife has paid like that on 90% of my guns :p

Muliemaster 01-19-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1100487)

Hell my wife has paid like that on 90% of my guns :p

My ex wife would steal my guns

WebleyFosbery38 01-19-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colby (Post 1100459)
Families often have indistinct lines of purchase because of gifting, who has a card, who has a job, who made a previous purchase and was "owed", etc.

Gotcha, I ust think the onus is on the owner not the legal vendor. Firearm Responsibility is that of the owner not someone selling a firearm who has been given no legal reason to question the purchase.

She nor the clerk likely didnt think twice about it because it alone isnt cause for concern, the background check is more than enough legal basis to transfer ownership.

Thats not saying background checks are effective, Im guessing most people that have things in their background that would prevent purchase know it, they wont buy one legally or they will do a private purchase that doesnt really need one. Gun Control is ineffective at doing anything but preventing Unfettered access to Firearms for Legal Citizens.