Storm of the Century for VA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Storm of the Century for VA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default Storm of the Century for VA

Well boys I just shoveled the drive real fast in the snow. WHAT yes I don't want to be shoveling 30+" of snow in the morning. It was 8" deep and it didn't start sticking till around 4 pm. So in a little under 5 house it has dumped 8+" of snow and it is still going strong. Wind in my area is got to be 15 to 20mph steady with gusts up to 25+MPH.

I have people in my area without power but thankfully none close by. Tango still has power duh right I am still posting on FTF.

I will keep the updates going till I pass out.

Tango OUT

Not gonna Argue.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

nice! I love the snow, we are having a good bit of it also here in ohio, have a level 3 snow warning, which is the highest ohio hands out! Keep safe and warm over there!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hunker down, Bro, and be safe.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Balmy 79º at 10:00 PM.

Is this #2 or #3 this winter? Sorry, I can't relate!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-06-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

When I lived in the Sierra's it wasn't at all unusual to get several feet of snow during a storm. You just stay prepared and handle it. No big deal.

Tango, you have too many weenies in your state. Tell 'em to man up or move to Arizona.

I wonder if Al Gore has power? I hope he's freezing his fat a$$ off.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I wonder if Al Gore has power? I hope he's freezing his fat a$$ off.
Tango, hold on. Spotted Al Gore and his global warming is headed your way!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-06-2010, 03:27 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Tango - Stay warm and dry bro, that is the best advice I can offer.

IF your power goes out, get on the phone IMMEDIATELY with your power provider and call in to get your name on the list. That doesn't mean you will be the first one back on, but I can tell you from experience that people that call get their power on MUCH faster than people that assume the power company knows they are out of power.

Let me explain a "wide spread power outage" to you folks. Consider this an "inside the industry" peak at what goes on with the power SHTF.

The first thing that happens is the power company starts fielding calls from customers. They immediately determine if they need multiple crews, or if this is an isolated incident.

Once they determine that they need multiple crews, they bring people to "Damage Assess" prior to rolling a crew.

Why?

No sense rolling a crew at $6K-$8K an 8-hr shift if there is nothing they can do, or there is gear they need that they don't have.

That is why calls are important. Your whole sub-division could merely have a small limb across 2 phases on a 3 phase line. That is an immediate outage, and it's SO easy to fix. It takes one of my crews, not including travel time, about 20-25 minutes to "safely" fix this problem and re-heat an entire neighborhood.

Now, the power company has to report ALL outages to the Feds. Every minute that paying customers are out of power is reportable and it MUST be reported. It's the law.

So, if you have an outage on your power, even if you have a generator, please call and let the power company know. They might be able to fix your power in just a small period of time that could make A LOT of people more comfortable and warm.

JD

Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Balmy 79º at 10:00 PM.

Is this #2 or #3 this winter? Sorry, I can't relate!

I'll be abusing those figures next Thursday, Cane.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #9

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
So, if you have an outage on your power, even if you have a generator, please call and let the power company know. They might be able to fix your power in just a small period of time that could make A LOT of people more comfortable and warm.

JD
And make damn sure you aren't back feeding the grid......

Last major ice storm we had here the local utility had something like 300,000 customers without power. My generator ran for 4 days straight and every one of my neighbors hated me. Don't know why?
I was nice and I left my porch light on for 'em......

Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

JD been there done that. My father ran a line crew for PG&E for 30 some years.

They always sent a troubleman out first. He was a lineman/ trouble shooter. He would check to see what was wrong fix it if he could if not he called in and said what was wrong and what the needed to fix it.

I tell you my dad brought home some rather hefty checks working storm damage. There was one december he was home maybe 3 days. worked 18 hours a day the rest of the time.

For him and BG&E was a union shop. He got a mean every 8 hours and after the first 40 it went to double time then if you put in another 4 or 8 hours it went to double time and a half. So if he was making $30 an hour he was getting double that or $60 an hour then he went to $75 an hour with $25 every 8 hours of work for a meal. I seen a meal check once that was $10k+ for one month.