Store etiquette ? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Store etiquette ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I worked retail for several years and grew to hate certain types of customers. In no particular order:
1. Blocking an aisle.
2. Demanding special treatment because you're the customer.
3. False shopper type 1 - window shoppers.
4. False shopper type 2 - those who come in for help to find what product is best for their needs and wants and then leaves to purchase from either a competitor (usually online).
5. Anyone who cannot control his or her kids.
Many more to list.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #32

Liked 2026 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

I agree Drum.
I love the look on the employees faces when they try try to corall me into the self check out lane...

"Sir this lane is open!"

"Are you giving me a 20% discount for doing your job? I thought not. I'll just wait here, thank you."

If the store is paying you to stand there with your thumb up your butt, why don't they just open another freaking register?

Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
If she got in line ahead of you and has established her place in line, then it's OK to wave her mom over. If she left the line to go get her mom, then she lost her place in line... I believe this would stand up anywhere as proper line etiquette.

One person can get in line and establish a place hold for their party.
I respectfully disagree. Supposing the mom was lugging a train of overflowing carts, and you have 16 items. It is right for the kid to let Mom in front of you? After all, if Mom had that train of carts there to start with you wouldn't have chosen that line. When choosing a check out lane it's not about the number of people in front of you, it's about how full the carts are.

Okay, there is an exception to my last statement. If you see a coupon portfolio it's time to choose another line.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #34

Liked 2608 Times on 1178 Posts
Likes Given: 2527

If the kid ain't payin she ain't stayin. Mommy wants a short line let her get it herself. You were right Zombie.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #35
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3282 Times on 2232 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I have to agree ZG you did the right thing here. We hate our Wal Mart but we need to save everywhere we can for now...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #36

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98
I agree Drum.
I love the look on the employees faces when they try try to corall me into the self check out lane...

"Sir this lane is open!"

"Are you giving me a 20% discount for doing your job? I thought not. I'll just wait here, thank you."

If the store is paying you to stand there with your thumb up your butt, why don't they just open another freaking register?
Cheaper to run. Those stupid machines have to have someone monitor them but one person can monitor multiple machines. Different companies have different rules as to how many one person can monitor (e.g., Sam's Club is four machines to one monitor).

I knew one manager so out of touch with reality that he wanted to get rid of the traditional cash registers and go with all sept check. "I can cut three-quarters of the front end payroll that way." (His words). Thankfully he no longer runs anything.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #37

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 54

If the girl's mother was in one line and having her daughter scout other checkout lanes, it was because she knew if she left where she was at, she would lose her place.
FYI-The next contagious viral outbreak (see SHTF scenarios) will probably originate on the push bar of a walmart shopping cart.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
So the other day my wife & I are in the grocery store (not WalMart) in line behind an extreme couponer. So Ms. Coupon sees some canned item pop up at full price on the register display and starts griping and arguing with the gal scanning the merchandise. They argue for 5 - 10 minutes. Finally I speak up and ask Ms. Coupon how much money is involved, I will give it to her out of my pocket to get the line moving. Ms. Coupon looked at me as if I had tried to snatch her purse, then she saw my wife busting a gut laughing and turned sugar beet red in the face.

Finally they took the items out of her bags and deducted them off the tab, and Ms. Coupon stormed off in a huff.

Man that felt good.
I actually saw an extreme couponer with a sign on the back of her cart: "Coupon Checkout = Long Time. You want a different line."

THANK YOU! Thank you for realizing it inconveniences others and thank you for taking 30 seconds to make a sign and consider others.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #39
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Hey Woah there Pal! some folks like me are disabled and Need those carts to shop. Not everyone who uses one or has their own is an Azz hat...
Same here, Dr.! I also had a cast and a cane and had a gigantic woman say something in a complaintive tone. My response was...less than gracious.

ZG, my compliments. You definitely did the right thing.

These social interactions do not have to be a big deal and we don't have to complain about them forever. BUT, I think we should all stand up for courtesy and definitely force it on those that have pushed it much too far. Those that have an overly developed sense of entitlement should be knocked down a few pegs and taught that good people do stand up for their rights and won't simply step aside to their every whim. Those using children to do their dirty work deserve their own circle of Hell.

Also, do NOT fail to talk directly to the clerks and managers that do not enforce their lane rules. Being handicapped, a NON-BUSY clerk has called me into her lane before - no one was being stepped on or inconvenienced - I would've never taken it by choice. But the clerks have to be taught that good people will make their lives difficult if they don't do their job.

"All that isnecessary for the triumph of Evil is that good me do nothing."

We don't think of this as "Evil," but think what the child is learning whose mother has her standing in front of traffic for a parking spot or carts for a checkout lane. If ZG made the girl feel bad, then maybe she'll tell her mother next time that she won't do it because its wrong. Life lesson learned and good accomplished. It's encounters like these that can change the World for the better.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-08-2013 at 10:19 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #40
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3282 Times on 2232 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

Same here, Dr.! I also had a cast and a cane and had a gigantic woman say something in a complaintive tone. My response was...less than gracious.

ZG, my compliments. You definitely did the right thing.

These social interactions do not have to be a big deal and we don't have to complain about them forever. BUT, I think we should all stand up for courtesy and definitely force it on those that have pushed it much too far. Those that have an overly developed sense of entitlement should be knocked down a few pegs and taught that good people do stand up for their rights and won't simply step aside to their every whim. Those using children to do their dirty work deserve their own circle of Hell.

Also, do NOT fail to talk directly to the clerks and managers that do not enforce their lane rules. Being handicapped, a NON-BUSY clerk has called me into her lane before - no one was being stepped on or inconvenienced - I would've never taken it by choice. But the clerks have to be taught that good people will make their lives difficult if they don't do their job.

"All that isnecessary for the triumph of Evil is that good me do nothing."

We don't think of this as "Evil," but think what the child is learning whose mother has her standing in front of traffic for a parking spot or carts for a checkout lane. If ZG made the girl feel bad, then maybe she'll tell her mother next time that she won't do it because its wrong. Life lesson learned and good accomplished. It's encounters like these that can change the World for the better.
And that the parent has the Nerve to actually get in your face because you were there and she sent her kid there. I don't care if they have 3 carts full of stuff. My wife & I will, once a month fill up both a regular cart and the basket in the Disabled Cart,..and on the off weeks one basket+. Usually we know which line to go to,..because we know who packs better. In the Frye's we let the learning delayed adults pack,..even if they do it "wrong" and we just repack it when we're in the lot...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This