Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > stop ruining your reputation/making yourself look... dumb -_-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default stop ruining your reputation/making yourself look... dumb -_-

I have been to many forums and this one is the most laid back of all of them.
I did learn lessons from those stricter forums and to name one of them is, "Don't make a thread about something that will start a one sided argument (everyone against you)." Think about how people will react to your thread/post BEFORE you post it. Read it over from a different view point to make sure that the message you are trying to convey isn't easily taken the wrong way.
If you do make a post and it goes the wrong way, walk away from it. Don't keep on posting trying to salvage it. People will just take it as one of those times were you done something stupid and then forget it. If you draw it out it is, "Boy that dude is a bitch."

Yeah I know, I make dumb mistakes too and some of my posts or threads have made me look like a retard. I, however, look back at them and go, "Oi, you kinda looked dumb" and then not say something along those lines again.

Just trying to help. The intent of this was not to "bash" anyone. I just figured since we have had two posts along these lines here recently we would get a "third time charm" thing goin on.

-short version
If you think it will cause an argument, do not post it.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 08-02-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I rush in where angels fear to tread.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

cool_story_bro_interesante_historia_ese.jpg  

Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Good points.

You are, of course, presuming we might have had any kind of decent reputation to ruin in the first place though. Speaking personally

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't need the internet to make me look stupid.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #6

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I look dumb naturally

Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
-short version
Glock and 1911 would be banned words if everyone followed that.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8308 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Personal rules of internet conduct- (subject to change at my whim)

1. Remember, it is only the internet.
2. Just because he is a freaking idiot, it is not necesary that YOU tell him he is a freaking idiot. If he is, others will draw the same conclusion.
3. There is a reason there are different flavors of ice cream. Some like chocolate, some like strawberry, and some like Glocks. ( Ewww! )
4. It takes no more effort to make a civil reply that a smart assed reply. If the newbie asks what his RG .22 is worth, tell him- but don't go out of your way to make him feel bad about buying it.
5. Do not ask a question if you are not prepared for the possible answers.
6. If I ask for someone's opinion on something, there must be a reason I asked for their opinion. Does not mean I have the right to pick a fight with them because our opinions vary.
7. A little cute goes a long way.
8. If a planned activity is illegal or physically dangerous, tell the person- then shut up. If you are not a LEO, or the action is not where you will be spattered with human body fluid, not your problem.
9. Be willing to learn from others. Everyone you meet will know SOMETHING you don't. Catalogue that so you will know who to ask when the time comes.
10. It ain't worth getting heartburn over.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 09-12-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I don't need the internet to make me look stupid.
I don't need it, but it is helpful.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
Just trying to help. The intent of this was not to "bash" anyone. I just figured since we have had two posts along these lines here recently we would get a "third time charm" thing goin on.

-short version
Mmmkay? As the originator of one of the threads "along these lines", i feel the need to say a couple of things in response. First, informed discussion & debate is one of the most successful & well-regarded methods of expanding group knowledge and has been since, at least, the time of Plato.

Second, I think that one of us may be misunderstanding the purpose(s) for posting a thread on a forum; i have started forum threads (here & elsewhere) to give others a "heads-up" on an emerging issue, to seek help with a technical question, to seek input on an idea i'm having, to vent frustration at a situation (rants usually go better as a post rather than an entire thread), sometimes to attempt to persuade others that my opinion has merit, and occaisionally, to amuse myself and others. I don't remember starting a thread to insure that my opinions are in-line with those of my fellow forumites, though i have certainly made many posts to express my agreement with another's post/opinion.

If i didn't think a thread would draw commentary, discussion, or even some arguing, i doubt i would start the thread on that topic.

If others think me daft based on the epinions i express in a thread, then they should state their thoughts on why i seem to be a moron or ill-informed to educate me. After all, if i am completely wrong about something, i'd rather be told by people whose opinions i respect.

As for dipping out completely on a thread in which my opinion appears to be in the VAST minority, that seems like a wussy way to leave a discussion. It would seem more appropriate to simply state that my opinion seems to be in the minority and that it appears i should evaluate my stand on this issue. I've been wrong about MANY things in my life, and i've grown a good bit by learning i was wrong and why AND by learning that, though i may not be "wrong," i may hold the minority opinion for a given group.

Not trying to bash your opinion, just letting you know why I post & what i post, not why & what everyone absolutely must post. It is a free country (more or less) and you guys can post for whatever reason you wish, IMO.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-03-2010 at 06:35 PM.