Stolen identity

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Stolen identity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default Stolen identity

Two days ago they had a real story on 60 Minutes of a lady whos identity was stolen. She worked for 5 years trying to get someone to listen to her and didnt get any help.

We will call her Mrs. Jones (her real name).

Her bogus name Mrs. Smith.

I wonder if Mrs. Smith went out and robbed a bank or committed some other crime how long it would take them (the law enforcement) to identify her as Mrs. Jones?

I could see the headlines now by the LE: "Mrs. Jones you are under arrest".

Mrs. Jones replies, "Im not Mrs. Jones, Im Mrs. Smith. Mrs. Jones is over there (pointing to the one whom stole her identity)".

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

It's one of the under appreciate crimes which is odd considering the amount of attention it gets.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Not "under appreciated" it's just hard to deal with. Identity theft is hard to stop hard to solve and hard to prosecute. Just making the arrest usually requires extradition from another state, sometimes its impossible to arrest them because they commit the crime from another country. Large agencies usually have entire divisiosn dedicated to financial crimes and they are always backed up with cases because they take so much time to work.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

As a income tax and payroll tax preparer, I can tell you I see more and more income tax returns rejected from electronic filing each year with the "duplicate SSN" error. It is my strong suspicion that a lot of uninvited immigrants of the illegalo persuasion are filing fraudulent tax returns under SS numbers they have bought or stolen for the purpose of getting a job. The feds are trying to track it with a program (E-Verify) that checks I-9 forms and W-2 forms submitted to the feds against a federal database, but i'm not seeing much in the way of activity/invetigations. I think the applicants know more about the process than the employers in many cases.

What is really aggravating is the lack of a standard process for people whose returns are rejected as "duplicates" to pursue their imitators in the courts. IRS tells the taxpayer to notify their local LEO's, but here, the Sheriff's department had no idea how to respond other than to recommend the taxpayer contact the state attorney general's office for further disappointment.

"Oh, you were counting on a big tax refund due to your hard work, numerous offspring, and over-withholding? Sorry, Juan Doe needed your SSN to get a job at the chicken rendering plant and has already filed for HIS refund. You will have to paper file and wait for it to be reviewed and approved." IOW "TS, suck it."

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Liked 493 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 108

As a victim of identity theft I can tell you it would be relatively easy to crack down on if it weren't for how we tend to ID people.

Your SSN is considered the ultimate identifier, yet places that have no use for it ask for it all the time. You don't need a SSN to APPLY for a job, you just need it to verify you are a resident. There is no reason you should be writing that down. I know that is how my wife's identity was stolen and could even identify where it happened (and you could probably narrow down who the likely suspects where) yet the cops just kind of shrugged the whole thing off.

Doctor's offices don't really need it. You have my insurance and my credit card. What more do you need. Treat me already.

Credit reports should not be so damn easy to pull. This is a major source of identity theft. There are so many different ways your credit can be pulled and sometimes without your consent. Once those reports are pulled, anyone who can get to it has access to all kinds of personal information including your finances, job history, residency history, etc. If I wanted to pose as someone the first thing I would do is try and pull their credit history.

What do I wish I had known before my identity was stolen?

1. Be paranoid. Don't give out personal information unless absolutely necessary. Guard your SSN with your life. If there is not a legal requirement to turn over identifying documents, don't do it. Potential employers don't need to see your passport or your SSN until they are ready to make an offer.

2. If you suspect even for a second someone might have personal information they shouldn't, get a fraud alert placed on your credit history. It will make your profile much less appealing to a thief.

3. Never ever give personal information over the phone to someone you can't verify. Same with email. Check return email addresses. When in doubt, find the company website and get official contact information. If it is a company you don't recognize, do some research. Your good name may depend on it.

4. Lock down all public profiles. Have LinkedIn? Great, keep your contact info to your first level contacts only. Lock down Facebook to friends only. Remember that everything on Twitter can be used against you. Don't broadcast crucial information to the whole world.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #6

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Great comments!

My original post was directed more toward the fact the lady could not get help getting her identity back.

I just thought - What if she committed a crime? How quickly would someone jump in to clearly identify her by her right name, SS, address and every other detail.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
orangello Likes This 
Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #7

Liked 493 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Great comments!

My original post was directed more toward the fact the lady could not get help getting her identity back.

I just thought - What if she committed a crime? How quickly would someone jump in to clearly identify her by her right name, SS, address and every other detail.
I have a whole stack of documents to deal with this. Unfortunately, whoever stole my identity has indeed committed all kinds of theft and fraud. That has made it difficult sometimes when applying for jobs.

When debt collectors call though, I offer to email them the information, which includes police reports, FCC complaints, all kinds of stuff I have collected to protect my name. For some reason, despite being 2013, they still want to fax it.

Ok, hope you just put more paper in it!

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba
Great comments!

Not very quickly. Unless there were fingerprints on file already. And even if they did, in all official documents they would in most instances list her under whatever name was used in the official arrest report and booking documents with her other identities as "aliases" to tie her to crimes committed under other identities.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-30-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Not very quickly. Unless there were fingerprints on file already. And even if they did, in all official documents they would in most instances list her under whatever name was used in the official arrest report and booking documents with her other identities as "aliases" to tie her to crimes committed under other identities.
Who was the comedian aka "tater salad"?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Who was the comedian aka "tater salad"?
LOL! Ron White!!!