Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Steve Fossit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Steve Fossit

Well here in Nevada we just had another search for Steve Fossit. Again they still didn't find the millionaire adventurer much like the first time when his plane went missing after taking off from some fancy air ranch outside of Minden Nevada. Almost a million dollars was spent in the first search and what was found was the remains of six other crash sites that hadn't been discovered in the last 40 years. No remains of any of the people were found though some people in New York were informed about the fate of their family member lost in 1964. The widow of Mr. Fossit has not volunteered to repay any expenses of the search. So in our state if you are a famous well known rich guy, they really go all out to find you , if not you 're coyote food or what ever hungry creepy crawly comes out when the sun goes down. I found this rather telling on how elitist even our local goverment can be. For some of us who spend time on the ground rather than flying over it its easy to see how a small plane could be swallowed up without a trace. Beware of getting lost in Nevada!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Maybe Nevada is a good SHTF location. Sounds like someone could disappear in Nevada!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Seedy, you are so cynical. Where's your faith in your fellow man?

What happened to Fossit could not be more clear. He was captured in the "tractor beam" of a passing UFO, and taken to Area 51 where he's involved in a secret government experiment.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 687 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Why should his wife repay the cost and not Joe Blow poor man who would have to make payments? Don't see the logic.

Man goes missing, so they look for him, regardless of class and without a desire for repayment for the costs. That's what we do here in this Great Nation. If Mr. Poor had gone trekking you would see the exact same rescue situation.

Class envy is an ugly color.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are right, I was being overly cynical. Mr. Fossett circled the world in a balloon. Thats quite an achievement, comparible to Linberg's crossing the Atlantic. I am sorry that he disappeared leaving behind a grieving family. Nevada's population is concentrated in maybe 3 counties with the rest of the state still being sparcely populated. Some times our urban majority don't seem to have a realistic view of how it is here in rural Nevada. When he first was declared missing our news channels (Reno) confidently predicted that he would be quickly found most likely waiting by his plane waiting to get back before dinner. I am very familiar with the Pine Nut, Desert and Dead Camel mountains where they were searching and know that the terraine is very rough. If you spent any amount of time in it you would realize that its easy for a small plane to disappear forever. This disconnect between growing urban populations and rural ones is common all over our country. You can see it on tv and academia. CD

Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Maybe Nevada is a good SHTF location. Sounds like someone could disappear in Nevada!
Actually, we want you to come here and lose, not get lost.....

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Actually, we want you to come here and lose, not get lost.....
LOL - If I had the money to lose I would have lost it long ago - The one time in my life I set out to go gambling (Atlantic City in 1979) I was on leave, and I wrecked my car on the way down...I took that to be an omen on par with "don't try crack', and have done neither!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #8

notdku I do believe you're wrong thinking that the exact same efforts would be made for a poor man as a rich one especially if this last search seedy is speaking of was publicly funded .

Fossett was declared legally dead February 15, 2008 .

Now if this last one was done completely with private funds thats entirely different .

I just don't see them spending money on the average "Joe Blow" 5 months after they are declared dead , but a guy like Fossett , Yes I can see them wasting more money .

What I want to know is if the filthy rich Fossett even had the sense to take one of those emergency locater devices with him , they cost less than a grand which would be pocket change for him .

Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the second search was privately funded. When they found all these other crash sites it was obvious that their search was more vigilent than in the past. I don't know if it was because of his wealth because poeple who fly in private planes are generally are not poor. It was because of fossitt's fame that the media started making a big deal out of his being lost. With this the local goverment jumped in expounding their seach capabilities with lots of interviews and video spots. It was so public that they couln't stop even when it became apparent that he didn't survive. He did have a gps location device in the plane. I'm sorry if it sounded like I have class envy but I am one of many who pay the taxes for this dog and pony show.CD