Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Stereo Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/stereo-question-27421/)

cpttango30 05-21-2010 11:40 PM

Stereo Question

I have a Technics SA-AX540 reciever and a Technics SL-PD8 5 disk cd changer. They are hooked together with a Monster Cables RCA patch cable (Red and White plugs).

Ok so you know the set up here is the problem. For a while now I can listen to movies from my Sony BD-350 Blu-ray player fine, tv will play fine, radio plays fine. When I go to play CD's though the sound varies from low to high in a almost constent wave low to high to low to high ect........ Anyone out there know my problem. I think I may need to crack the case on both and do a good cleaning. Seeing as these are 8 years old.

dunerunner 05-22-2010 12:16 AM

Where do you have the CD connected? What input? It sounds like you are overdriving the input of the Amplifier.

cpttango30 05-22-2010 12:43 AM

It is hooked into the CD input.

dunerunner 05-22-2010 12:47 AM

I would try the AUX input if the Amp has one, just to see if it is the pre-amp that is either bad or the CD player itself.

lonyaeger 05-22-2010 12:49 AM

For the price of that Monster cable, you probably could have bought a normal wire and gotten a NEW receiver and CD player! I know this is no help, but I think Monster is a huge rip for anything other than maybe HDMI cables.

Speaking of HDMI....if you're not using one, you're not getting the most out of your BD player....provided your receiver and TV have HDMI inputs/outputs...just sayin'

cpttango30 05-22-2010 01:26 AM

HDMI is used for the blu-ray and the directv box. Both are on high quality HDMI Cables. My wife about craped a cow when I told her I spend $200 on 2 cables. LOL......

I think I may need a new amp and if I do that I am going for a new changer as well.....

SO far here is the new receiver I like. Mainly because it offers HDMI Switching My tv has 3 HDMI ports and I have 4 HDMI devices (Blu-ray, Directv, Computer, Xbox 360) So this would simplify my life big time. Denon AVR-1910 Home theater receiver with HDMI switching and video upconversion at Crutchfield.com

Connect that with this Denon DCM-290 5-disc CD changer at Crutchfield.com

hunter Joe 05-22-2010 11:07 PM

Tango, if your going to buy a new CD player, look at the Bose Wave Radio. These freak'n things are incredible. I gave my 200 watt amp and speakers to one of the kids, bought the concert wave radio and not one regret. I can turn that unit all the way up without any distortion except what I get from the wife "it's too loud, turn it down". Kind of reminds me of Joe's Garage.

TheDaggle 05-23-2010 06:21 AM

In the market for a new amp, eh? I have a 750x2 watt magnetic field amp I'd let go for a fraction of it's value, but I take no responsibility for the fate of your ears or your relationships with your neighbors :D.

Bigcountry02 05-23-2010 07:22 AM

My Yamaha A-1020 Integrated Amp was doing that for awhile. I do not have the diagnostic tools, need to sent to local shop, currently the A-1020 is in the garage awaiting check-up. Poor thing purchased in 1986 dual voltage. She has served will of all the moves and storage. :(

I fear the worst!

I picked up a Yamaha receiver from the military exchange online, saved $300 and almost $500 from what best buy was offering. Need to re-adjust the speaker layout. Not easy with Infinity SM series in the living room!

spook 05-24-2010 06:31 AM

I have a Denon receiver, 7.1 channels. Very good sound and flexible. They also make a very good CD player. The last one I had I wore out and couldn't afford to replace it. I think you can beat Crutchfield's prices with a little research.