Stay Overnight At Fallingwater
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Stay Overnight At Fallingwater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Stay Overnight At Fallingwater

I've long been a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture. Now Fallingwater will be available to rent and stay in overnight. If I had the surplus cash, I'd definitely stay there.

Fallingwater offers exclusive access to famed home

Reuters

By Mark Egan Mark Egan – Thu Sep 24, 10:16 am ET

MILL RUN, Pennsylvania (Reuters Life!) – Fans of Frank Lloyd Wright's house Fallingwater have long been able to visit the architect's modernist masterpiece as a museum, but soon they can enjoy the house almost as if they were living in it.

In the coming months, curators of the house built amid a waterfall in the leafy Laurel Highlands of western Pennsylvania will offer a new program, Insight Onsite at Fallingwater, where visitors will spend one full day and two evenings at the residence, enjoying the house as it was intended.

While regular visitors are whisked through the iconic house in guided tours lasting about one hour, those at the Insight Onsite program can lounge about reading, engage in interesting conversations on the terraces, have a cocktail by the fireplace, write a personal letter at a desk and enjoy a lively dinner party.

Regular visitors pay $18 admission but the more intimate experience comes with a more exclusive price tag -- $1,195.

"It's a different experience of the house when you are here by yourself than when you are with a group of people," Fallingwater Director Lynda Waggoner said in her office, nestled at the back of the house.

"We'd like to be able to share that."

Up to eight people will arrive in the evening and be given an in-depth tour and then sleep overnight, not in Fallingwater itself but in a newer four-bedroom home built on the grounds for the accountant of the family which owned the property.

The next morning visitors have the morning to lounge around the house and grounds, have lunch on the terraces, have more time alone to do as you wish and then have a dinner party at the house with curators and a guest, perhaps a leading figure in the architecture community.

Waggoner said the program would appeal to those with a passion for architecture.

"It's a compete experience of nature and art. This is the tree house you always wanted to live it," she said. "The goal here is to provide the best experience we can of the house without sleeping in the house."

Curators unsuccessfully attempted to launch the program earlier this year as a mid-week program since the house is normally closed on Wednesdays.

But those who expressed an interest said they wanted to attend on the weekend rather than midweek. Now curators are finalizing weekend dates for the debut program, perhaps in December or in early March when the house is normally closed.

Fallingwater was built for Pittsburgh department store owner Edgar Kaufmann Sr., whose son briefly studied architecture under Wright.

More than 4 million people have visited the house, about 90 minutes from Pittsburgh, where leaders of the Group of 20 leading rich and developing countries were meeting at a summit Thursday and Friday.

The house features an innovative cantilevered design, with terraces and floors extending over the waterfall, meaning that while the sound of water can be heard throughout the house, you have to go outside to actually see the waterfall.

Built in the 1930s at the height of the Great Depression, the house cost $155,000, or about $2.3 million when adjusted for inflation.

(Editing by Patricia Reaney)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A beautiful setting!!

cid_1126975139_fallingwater9-1-.jpg

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Also Minutes From Fallingwater

Cucumber Falls @Ohiopyle State Park

----------------------
Ohiopyle Falls Youghiogheny River

-----------------

Maybe do some kayaking :-D

Only about 15-20 minutes from where I live. I bear hunt the laurel covered mountains surrounding Ohiopyle and I flyfish the Yough River and tributaries, but Ive never been to Fallingwater yet.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'd be having to get up to pee like every half hour with all that water noise.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I'd be having to get up to pee like every half hour with all that water noise.
Only you jello would come out with that. But hey you could pee right off the balcony and you would be good to go. That would be good.

I would have to read the book Spots on the Sheets by Mr. Completely

Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
But hey you could pee right off the balcony and you would be good to go. That would be good.

I would have to read the book Spots on the Sheets by Mr. Completely
Cool! It would be just like the back porch.

It is a beautiful building.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My first brush with Wright's architecture came when I was thirteen and still in NYC. My H.S. freshman art teacher suggested we go to the Guggenheim for an exhibit there. So I went.

What was the exhibit? Vincent Van Gogh. It was an amazing experience for a kid from Brooklyn. Van Gogh paintings in a Frank Lloyd Wright building.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You didn't know I gots culture, didja'?