Which state would you move to? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Which state would you move to?

View Poll Results: If you HAD to chose one of these two states, which would it be?
Vermont 16 48.48%
New Hampshire 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
So if you rented in New Hampshire would you avoid taxes all together?
Technically, maybe. If you do avoid property tax by renting, I'm sure the landlord would calculate that into the rent.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #12

Vermont definitely. Not just because I live there either (currently at Ft. Sill, OK). The liberal hippies are mostly imports from Mass, Connecticut and New Jersey, and are by and large clustered in Chittenden County and Windsor County. With the vast majority of the state being rural, it's easy to stay clear of anyone you don't care to associate with.

The very loose gun control laws have never, in my memory, been challenged on a state level either. It seems there are still some things sacred there.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #13

I would be a little nervous moving to NH! A lot of MA-holes move over the boarder to NH. Then they start b**ching about how loose the gun laws are, and start voting their mind. NH has a very real chance of going the way of MA/ME in its gun laws. VT has soooo few gun laws, that they have a whole lot farther of a way to go. I would suspect that 10 years from now, VT will still be a whole lot less restrictive than NH.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #14

Default Nh?vt

noo. I lost my way to NH and landed in south carolina.you want to hunt?
sep 1 to jan 1,unlimited bucks,no game stations,just load the truck and go to processor or do it yourself.you really need to have your own land.I have 90 acres,$70,000.shoot out mu front door.have(had) 4 deer in freezer.after 65
$50,000 of assed value.my taxes $200 land house and garage,fishing in the lakes all year.gun laws liberal.toss pistol in glove compartment,to buy just the federal check.every one has a shotgun in the truck all the time.you may have to filther the naborhood.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Been there, done that with both states - 2 years in VT and 12 in NH. Moved to Georgia 18 years ago and will never (willingly) move back North.

I suppose if you put a gun to my head and made me choose I would have to say VT because there is a lot of truth to what biff is saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff44 View Post
I would be a little nervous moving to NH! A lot of MA-holes move over the boarder to NH. Then they start b**ching about how loose the gun laws are, and start voting their mind. NH has a very real chance of going the way of MA/ME in its gun laws. VT has soooo few gun laws, that they have a whole lot farther of a way to go. I would suspect that 10 years from now, VT will still be a whole lot less restrictive than NH.
...and on top of that its too freakin' cold! Battleship gray skies overhead for months at a time.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #16

I have a similar dilemma. I'm in Western MA. the taxes here suck. starting wages for what I do are about 5 to 8 dollars an hour more anywhere else. The gun laws are made to be confusing to scare people away from firearm ownership. My girlfriend wants to move to florida (born again christian in-laws). I told her we should move to VT. She put her foot down fast; "Winters are cold enough in MA, do you really want to move further north?" I told her about their very lax gun laws. She could care less.

She wants to be able to have her mom watch our two little ones (for free) as opposed to $600+ a month for daycare. Plus we would both make a ton more money any where else. I just want out of MA.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I think I have decided on moving north. Arises the problem of which state to move to, VT or NH. Both are literally a 20 minute drive from where I sit right now so staying in touch with my family won't be a problem. Here are my positives and negatives I am debating.

VT
Negatives - Unfortunately, my wife is from VT. So I would be kicking MA laws and gaining in-laws. There are way too many hippies and rednecks for my taste. Everyone would hate me because I'm another Ma$$hole invading their state.

Positives - It is a very beautiful state and the hunting is out of this world. My grandmother-in-law lives on the side of a mountain called Deer Hill, guess why. If she would let me, I could bag a deer from her living room every time I visit. There are practically no gun laws so I can finally get cool stuff like Nighthawks and high capacity magazines. The only license you need is a hunting license. VT is number 49 on a list of highest crime rates involving a firearm.

NH
Negatives - Taxes suck. Even though there are "no taxes" on any goods and there is no income tax, they make up for it with property tax. And I want to buy enough land to hunt on. NH has more gun laws than VT. Their state monument fell down

Positives - NH is also a beautiful state with great hunting. Five star beaches. No taxes. Less gun laws than MA. Fireworks are legal. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f13/new-hampshire-preparing-put-feds-notice-10605/

All joking aside, PLEASE add any positives or negatives you think would help in my decision. SERIOUSLY canebrake, this NOT a time to joke around!
But, but it snows in both of them :-) My wife and I are planning a move to Savannah at the end of this year.
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #18

I found another reason to leave mass. Our governor Devil Patrick wants to raise our tax on gasoline to $.51 per gallon. making it the highest gas tax in America.
WOW. I don't know what to say.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #19

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by altmf View Post
I found another reason to leave mass. Our governor Devil Patrick wants to raise our tax on gasoline to $.51 per gallon. making it the highest gas tax in America.
WOW. I don't know what to say.
Kennedy would be reason enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't any desire to move to either state. I'm actually considering the planet Mercury. Less wages, better fellow workers.