Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Which state would you move to? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/state-would-you-move-10613/)

dnthmn2004 02-05-2009 01:13 PM

Which state would you move to?

I think I have decided on moving north. Arises the problem of which state to move to, VT or NH. Both are literally a 20 minute drive from where I sit right now so staying in touch with my family won't be a problem. Here are my positives and negatives I am debating.

VT
Negatives - Unfortunately, my wife is from VT. So I would be kicking MA laws and gaining in-laws. There are way too many hippies and rednecks for my taste. Everyone would hate me because I'm another Ma$$hole invading their state.

Positives - It is a very beautiful state and the hunting is out of this world. My grandmother-in-law lives on the side of a mountain called Deer Hill, guess why. If she would let me, I could bag a deer from her living room every time I visit. :cool: There are practically no gun laws so I can finally get cool stuff like Nighthawks and high capacity magazines. The only license you need is a hunting license. VT is number 49 on a list of highest crime rates involving a firearm.

NH
Negatives - Taxes suck. Even though there are "no taxes" on any goods and there is no income tax, they make up for it with property tax. And I want to buy enough land to hunt on. NH has more gun laws than VT. Their state monument fell down :rolleyes:

Positives - NH is also a beautiful state with great hunting. Five star beaches. No taxes. Less gun laws than MA. Fireworks are legal. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f13/new-hampshire-preparing-put-feds-notice-10605/

All joking aside, PLEASE add any positives or negatives you think would help in my decision. SERIOUSLY canebrake, this NOT a time to joke around! :p

Scrapper 02-05-2009 02:32 PM

I am seriously considering a move to NH as we speak.

user4 02-05-2009 03:16 PM

Go with your heart on this one. I would have chosen NH on the pure basis that there is a large libertarian base there intent on showing the federal government that you can govern without bureaucracy and punitive laws. Small gov't is good.

Dillinger 02-05-2009 03:19 PM

If I HAD to choose, I got to go with Vermont. Better gun laws, less crime versus In-Laws? Hardly a choice. Man up and set dates when the in laws can and can't come over - then use that time for family time so that when the in laws DO come over, you can be off hunting. :D

New Hampshire? Sorry Bro - anything that involves MORE TAXES I am TOTALLY against....

JD

Cnynrat 02-05-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004
Negatives - Taxes suck. Even though there are "no taxes" on any goods and there is no income tax, they make up for it with property tax. And I want to buy enough land to hunt on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger
New Hampshire? Sorry Bro - anything that involves MORE TAXES I am TOTALLY against....

Are the total taxes really higher, or are they just paid through different means? Here's a link to a table that camparing total tax burden by state: Tax Burden By State.

It lists NH as one of the most tax friendly at 49/50, and Vermont near the top of the list (highest tax per capita) at 6/50. The list claims to include property taxes, but of course they had to make some assumptions about average income and property tax levels. If your income or property value was far from the average you may not fit the average very well.

Also, if you're thinking about a large piece of land you may be looking at a more rural area where land values might be lower than near one of the bigger towns, so the property tax burden may not be all that bad. Something to think about anyway.

There is also this to consider about NH: Free State Project

Overall, either would be an improvement over MA, but I'd lean towards NH.

rfield 02-05-2009 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=Cnynrat;68618] Vermont near the top of the list (highest tax per capita) at 6/50. [QUOTE]

I live in VT and that sounds about right. Property tax, income tax, sales tax, rooms and meals tax, local sales tax in certain towns. But it will depend heavily on where in VT you're looking at. Chittenden county, where the majority of the population lives is more expensive than some of the other more rural counties.

But, property taxes in Vt are just on your house and land. Not like some other states that tax you every year on your car, boat, motorhome, snowmobile, etc.... Don't know if NH is that way or not.

You should look seriously at NH, we've already exceeded our quota of Ma$$holes for the year:D

canebrake 02-05-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 68572)
SERIOUSLY canebrake, this NOT a time to joke around!

***OUCH!***

dnthmn2004 02-05-2009 05:53 PM

Im just messin with ya cane.

Regarding the taxes in NH. My uncle used to live in MA but has moved to NH. He has a slightly above average home and land, and he says after everything is said and done, he pays just a LITTLE less in taxes in NH. The property tax is what gets him the most.

bkt 02-05-2009 06:06 PM

New Hampshire for me. Gun laws are way less strict than in New York and it's nowhere near as bad with the commie-hippie contingent as Vermont. Besides, if you want to visit Vermont, it's not like it's a long drive....

Bighead 02-08-2009 05:43 AM

So if you rented in New Hampshire would you avoid taxes all together?