State Mythology Series: Washington State ( Nod to Benning )
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > State Mythology Series: Washington State ( Nod to Benning )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default State Mythology Series: Washington State ( Nod to Benning )

1) Best indigenous food - I would have to say that our salmon and our coffee are really well known. Having said that, we have a lot of Pacific Rim influence and we have some great Asian food here. We have some of the best Mom and Pop Teriyaki chicken places I have found around the country.

2) Biggest plus to living there - Well, it's not Kalifornia, there is no state income tax ( yet ) and depending on where you live in the Puget Sound region, you are never more than 1.5 hours from doing just about anything. Want to go sea fishing? Short drive and you can charter a boat. Want to go skiing or snow boarding? Short drive to one of three or four really good resorts. Want to go hunting? We have an entire mountain range full of game. Want to go trail riding or hiking? We got a ton of State maintained trails and tons more than are part of the national Parks.

3) Biggest minus - Traffic. We have terrible traffic in and around the cities. We have NO public transportation that is worth a damn. The "monorail" that everyone talks about is a joke and a maintenence nightmare. The ferry system is about 20 years overdue for being completely overhauled. The "Sounder" train is a good step forward, and if you want to go to Seattle, it's great, but it does not take you anywhere else that is useful. And we got 3 counties of Democrats that vote the state Blue because of the population density.

4) Weirdest wildlife - Geoduck. Look it up.

5) A word or phrase that an outsider wouldn't understand - "Eastside", which basically means the Eastside of Lake Washington, where all the money and high end folks live. "Passive Aggressive" - No one here says it, everyone here practices it. What a bunch of quiet, take it and plot behind your back bunch of girly men we have here. "Sounder" - It's the light rail system that cost a ton of money and helped reduce about 1% of our traffic problems. "The Troll" & "Freemont" - No self respecting FTF member would be caught dead in Freemont, unless it was to photograph the Troll and leave. Yes, we have a big assed Troll that lives under a bridge and it's a "landmark". The "Soft" or The "Dark Empire" = Microsoft.

6) Local boy or girl who made good. - Bill Gates ( born here ). Paul Allen ( born here ). Kasey Kahne ( some Nascar driver or something ). A bunch of worthless artists from the "Grunge" era. Steve Largent was a wide receiver here and became a US Senator, but I think he was from Oklahoma though.

7) Gun laws - Good, but confusing. I can buy any pistol over the counter with my state carry permit. No waiting required. I can buy any sound suppressor with the proper paperwork. I CAN NOT shoot said sound suppressor, ever, inside the state. We have a lot of Class III, private, firearms owners here and the local PD does not frown on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Obtaining gun permits and carry licenses is very easy and without red tape.

8) Biggest misconception the rest of us might have about your state - That is rains all the time. It does. Stay away. We don't need any more of you transplants that can't drive in the rain... LOL! Actaully our rainy season is less than New York and several other places around the country. Our winters are never too cold and our summers, though increasing in temp, are never heat waves. Few homes have A/C. Most homes have gas burning fireplaces that are more show than actually used to heat the house.

9) The thing an outsider should never do - I don't know about this one. Visit Hill Top in Tacoma unarmed. Or Parkland. Wear rubber rain boots ( or galoshes ) to work. Wear flannel to anywhere that isn't REI or work. Drink Starbuck's Coffee and assume it's the best we have to offer. Actually go and throw a fish at The Market. This will tell everyone how much of a tourist you are.

10) Restaurant - The Metropolitan Bar & Grill. Go and have the ( assumed ) best steak in Seattle, rub elbows with the local semi famous and any traveling, visiting celebrities or high ranking mucky-mucks.

El Gaucho - Go and have the best steak in Seattle no one knows about. And expect to get there EARLY. Expect to wait for a table. Expect to wait for the meal. Expect to enjoy the evening. Just don't expect all this to happen in a 2 hour time frame, because only the locals know about it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Geoduck. Look it up.

LOL that is the oddest dam thing I have ever seen. Some say it tastes great but for one reason and one reason alone I am not putting that thing in my mouth.

Once you nonknowers looks that thing up you will know why......

Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You ever look at something, and some primal force inside you wants to destroy it for no good reason? No?

Look up the geoduck, and you will.

Good thread, J.D., I'm understanding more already, if you were to compare the vibe to some other place, what would it be?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #4

geoducks rock, nothing like a giant phallic animal...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
geoducks rock, nothing like a giant phallic animal...
For what???

Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For what!? Dude, it's Jess......

Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
4) Weirdest wildlife - Geoduck. Look it up.
LOL! That was a great episode on "dirty jobs".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Okay, and he wasn't kidding about the Freemont Troll, either.

fremont_troll.jpg  

Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Good stuff JD. I'd do one for Georgia but we're just a bunch of laid back rednecks down here - nothing special at all...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Good stuff JD. I'd do one for Georgia but we're just a bunch of laid back rednecks down here - nothing special at all...
Georgia was the first time I left home. I loved that place, except for the f*****g red clay.