State Mythology Series: Texas - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > State Mythology Series: Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1) Best indigenous food
BBQ

2) Biggest plus to living there
professional sports (all of them) great restraunts

3) Biggest minus
scenery, Not a pretty state (at least in the DFW area)

4) Weirdest wildlife
bugs!

5) A word or phrase that an outsider wouldn't understand
Im not a native. Can't help you there.

6) Local boy or girl who made good.
Everyone from Texas is considered to be a more vualuable person than those outside of Texas. This includes the president.

7) Gun laws
mixed bag. No waiting period, but you have to practically have a degree to get a CWP. No open carry laws.

8) Biggest misconception the rest of us might have about your state
Most people are smarter than they sound. There are a ton of liberals, but they are just more conservative than the DC crowd.

9) The thing an outsider should never do
Don't smack talk Texas. Texas ranks slightly less than heaven, and right above the rest of the USof A in places to live, grow up, and be from.

10) Restaurant
Too many to list. But the best "chain" is Saltgrass. Butt kicking steak, yet it's considered to be the McDonald's of steak houses. This makes Outback the Salvation Army of steak houses.

Last edited by user4; 01-05-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #22

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I lived in San Antone for 9 years and I loved the place. I would not have ever left Texas but like most folks I followed my job. I'd go back in a heartbeat...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #23
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
We measure distance in hours and minutes, not miles. Austin to Houston is about 2 1/2 hours. Austin to SA is about an hour and a half. Austin to Dallas is about 3 1/2 hours. Austin to El Paso is all day. Beaumont to El Paso is a two day drive.
I was going to mention that too.
I love meeting people that move here from another state. A couple of friends of mine are from Cali. and it's priceless to hear them say how when they got to El Paso they thought they were almost here, only to have to drive at least 10 more hours to get anywhere resembling civilization.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #24

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

M'kay, my .02:

1) Best indigenous food - barbeque, because Tex Mex sucks, remember I am an Arizona native.

2) Biggest plus to living there - the people. This place is like it's own country...just ask Governor Perry.

3) Biggest minus - summer humid weather.

4) Weirdest wildlife - armadillos are plentiful where I am, and delicious I am told.

5) A word or phrase that an outsider wouldn't understand - everything is "I'm fixin' to do this" or "I'm fixin' to do that."

6) Local boy or girl who made good. - uhhhh....Nolan Ryan? My ultimate sports hero.

7) Gun laws - no open carry, but Texans love them some guns.

8) Biggest misconception the rest of us might have about your state - that everything is bigger here. I've lived here for ten years and mine has not grown at all, if anything it's gotten smaller.

9) The thing an outsider should never do - say "Viva Santa Ana!"

10) Restaurant - too many to mention. Houston has the highest ratio per capita than anywhere in the country. It's also one of the fattest cities in the country. True story.

Look, if you ever want to see my part of Texas, just come. I manage a 460-acre conference center/executive retreat/working ranch in north Texas and you're always welcome.

And my son lives in Austin, which is a fantastic town. Talk about restaurants, bars, and music, Austin has it all, and the Hill Country is probably the prettiest part of the state. It IS a liberal hotbed, but it's also a huge university town...don't they go hand-in-hand?

Last edited by lonyaeger; 01-05-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #25

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
What is employment like, and cost of living?
Cost of living is low, IMO. Labor situation depends on what you do for a living, but TX is probably no worse for unemployment than any other state.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #26

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'll get in on this since I'm a born and raised Texas boy.

1) Best indigenous food
Gonna have to agree with the other replies and say BBQ. Other than that, we can chicken fry damn near anything...

Cost of living is great compared to most other states in the US.
Texas women are gorgeous!!

3) Biggest minus
People keep talking about the liberals, and while we do have plenty of them, the liberals here would be more likely to defend themselves with a firearm than the ones in California

4) Weirdest wildlife
Horny Toad & Armadillo

just watch any Jeff Foxworthy stand up, he's got plenty of em.

First one that always comes to mind is Buddy Holly. Probably cause he's from Lubbock.

7) Gun laws
No open carry - permit to conceal

I always get a kick out of people that think we still ride horses on dirt roads.

Never correct a Texan when he/she says "ya'll". We know the proper way to say it is "you all", but then we'd be just like everyone else up north if we said it that way.

10) Restaurant
Texas Roadhouse is always good

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
Alright Benning. You’ve just hit on one thing that any native Texan would be more than happy to tell you about, and while it difficult to name things like the best of anything, I’ll do MY best here.

1) Best indigenous food
-Texas smoked BBQ (brisket, ribs, sausage…)
-Tex-Mex (fajitas, …)

-Umm, it’s Texas!? But seriously, we’ve got every kind of geography here, coastal plains, hill country, deep piney woods, mountains, canyons, flat land prairies…. did I miss anything?

3) Biggest minus
-I’ll have to get back to you on this one.

4) Weirdest wildlife
-Either the Ocelot or Jaguarundi, which are both of the cat family. Bigger than a house cat but smaller than a Mountain Lion.

-fixinta (verb) meaning - getting ready. “Hey, we’re fixinta go to the store. Need anything?”
-A soft drink is a “coke”. It’s not soda or pop.

-Too many to list really. Actors, musicians, sports, businessmen

7) Gun laws
-No open carry. After that, pretty much everything else goes (except for the federal stuff).

-Not everyone has oil wells or cattle or a ranch. We’re not all truck driving, red necks.

-Absolutely, under no circumstances should you ever correct a Texan on the pronunciation of anything local (place, someone’s name, food, ect…)
-It is also extremely unadvisable to bring up how you did it (whatever it is) where you come from. We really don’t care how you do it “up north”. We aren’t “up north”. You’re here now, and this is how we do it here.

10) Restaurant
-Every place has “THE” place to go. Where I live there is The Roadhouse, a tiny little hamburger place that makes their own sweet sourdough buns. And just down the road is the Winchester Steakhouse in (where else) Winchester.

But I could never tell it as good as this: written by Bum Phillips, head coach of the Houston Oilers

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A TEXAN by Bum Phillips
Troy, you forgot the "It's a dry heat" high desert of far west Texas.

One of the neat things about Texas is that it is made up of so many different areas and climates. But then again, the rest of Texas practically thinks that Texas stops at the Midland-Odessa area. Depending what you want to do for recreation, and or work, you can find most anything here. Like Troy said, not all of Texas has oilwells, horses, and cattle, but they aren't too hard to find. If you like to ski, Ruidoso/Cloudcroft, or even Northern New Mexico and Colorado, aren't too far away. Scuba is close, you can try the Gulf of Mexico, the Sea of Cortez (a short drive through NM and AZ) or even CA. Hunting is available practically anywhere. If you fly sail planes, the thermals out here are spectacular. Out here, it is nothing to drive an hour or more "just to go to dinner." That's just down the road a piece. That was one of the hardest things for me to adapt to when I emmigrated from Maine. Another thing was the "coke" as already mentioned. When you ask for a coke, they ask what kind. Even if they only serve Pepsi products, they still consider them "cokes" and if you can't take Pepsi, you have to ask to make sure that you are getting "coke" or "Diet Coke" and not Pepsi. I've been here 30 years and don't have any desire to leave. Yes it gets hot here, regularly 100+ in the summer, but here (El Paso) there are no tornados, no hurricanes, and no earthquakes. The humidity in the rest of Texas is usually pretty high (by El Paso standards) but having the "dry heat" does make a difference it is more bearable and you get used to it.

You can find pretty much anything here, you just have to look for it.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #28

1) Best indigenous food
As said already, BBQ

It's Texas, everyday is a plus

3) Biggest minus
Humidity (I'm south of houston) and fire ants

4) Weirdest wildlife
not sure, don't really know of any weird animals

"The Great State" it's used by absolutely everyone, the weatherman on the 10 oclock news says "the front sweeping across the great state" and what not.

Vince Young, George Strait, Willie Nelson, Jessica Simpson

7) Gun laws
CHL is simple to get, no open carry, can carry in auto with no permit

We are all bass ackwards and slow
Also met a few people that thought all of Texas was a desert

Saying something bad about Texas, when you're not from around here, is probably not the wisest thing you could do.

10) Restaurant
There is a place south of houston called La Brisa, best Tex-Mex ever