State Mythology Series: Texas - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > State Mythology Series: Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So if I wanted an actual Coke, what would I order? "Coke coke"? This has been troubling me for a long time, thankfully I've never actually needed to order something in the south.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pretty much anywhere in the pan handle is flat. Lubbock or Amarillo are the two biggest towns up that way. There is also a smaller town up there named Levelland. Any guesses why?

Winter are pretty mild in most of the state, except again in the pan handle where the wind ALWAYS blows.

Cactus is pretty much everywhere in the western half of the state.

And if you want an actual Coke, the conversation goes something like this.
"What can I get you to drink hun?"
"Can I get a coke?"
"Sure, what would you like?"
"A coke."

And yes, while Austin/Travis County is definitely the most liberal place here. Texas Liberals aren't that much different than California Conservatives.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What is employment like, and cost of living?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My liberal PhD. sister lived in Austin for a few years & loved it; it is pretty there. I think i would have difficulty fitting in there, and i'm not the most conservative person i know by a stretch.

I did find the ever-present Lone Star decorations rather ironic; how "lone" can a star be if there is one on every other door, gate, rest stop, cow, pickup, and paving stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
So what are the winters like in Texas, I'm guessing snow is rarer than a vegetarian at a BBQ cook off?
I've been to multiple BBQ cook offs. I've had french fries & BBQ sauces from the better BBQ places in Memphis, TN. One BBQ place even offered a BBQ portobella sandwich for the vegetarians, not bad actually (slaw on, please). You want odd BBQ, try a pulled pork BBQ pizza from Colleta's in Memphis, TN. Of course, i am not a complete vegetarian; i eat sushi and oysters occasionally (i don't recommend the Octopus Nigiri with BBQ sauce at Sekisui).

I understand there is a bit of snow in parts of TX at this very moment.

Anybody heard the joke about the yankee chick who mistook all the snuff can rings on jean pockets for condom rings?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

They do have some goooooooooooood Beer.

Shiner Tx is the one city I would loved to move to in Texas.

Shiner.com

Old 01-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for a great read Troy. Where are the piney woods?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Thanks for a great read Troy. Where are the piney woods?
Thanks. And the piney woods are in the Eastern part of the state. I believe the "official" term is East Texas Piney Woods. That's mainly where the Texas version of Hillbillies live.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #18

Likes Given: 2

Piney Woods are in East Texas where I grew up.
Can't really make a call on best food. If you kill you grill it. Did have a Mom and Pop grill that had the "Bubba Burger." If you could eat it in one sitting it was free. Never met anyone who actually ate one.
Strangest animal: horney toad. You gotta take a step back when a little lizard start shooting blood at you from it eyeballs.
Actual snow is pretty rare. You get alot of slush and freezing rain in East Texas.
Biggest minus: Texas is becoming Northern Mexico. I can see where the line has shifted every time I go back home to visit.
Another big misconception: we don't ride horses to school.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
What is employment like, and cost of living?
It depends. Texas is really big with different kinds of industry in different regions. The Gulf Coast (Houston) is heavy in oil and petrochemicals. The Rio Grande Valley (just called "The Valley) is a rich agricultural region. Fruits and vegetables. The pan handle is Cotton and Cattle. Central Texas (Austin/San Antonio) is Silicon Alley, UT and State Government. North Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth) is heavily into banking. Far west Texas is pretty desolate and the chief product is deer leases.

Depending on your marketable skills you can find a market for it in Texas. It has been said that Texas is the only state that can be self sufficient. We make our own food, gasoline, electricity, clothes, cars. We produce our own sea food, meat and milk. We have some fine wineries and breweries. We have Army bases (FT. Hood), Navy bases (Ingleside) and Air Force bases (pretty much all of San Antonio as well as Dyess for strategic work). We can travel to the Moon (Houston Space Center) we just sub contract the actual launches to Florida. We have 2 NFL teams, 3 NBA teams and 2 MLB teams and one HUGE NASCAR track. I even think we have a hockey team or two but that is for the transplants. We have Astroworld and Fiesta Texas amusement parks. We have Sea World and South Padre Island. All the past times you could ever want except snow skiing, we sub that out to the rocky mountain states. Texas could split off from the US, become a protectionist, closed society and survive quite well.

Cost of living varies. Austin is high by Texas standards. Houston is pretty low. Houston housing market is in a major slump right now. I am not sure about Dallas/Ft. Worth. San Antonio is fairly high if you want to stay away from the Chollos. If you can Habla, SA is great!

We measure distance in hours and minutes, not miles. Austin to Houston is about 2 1/2 hours. Austin to SA is about an hour and a half. Austin to Dallas is about 3 1/2 hours. Austin to El Paso is all day. Beaumont to El Paso is a two day drive.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What's remarkable to me is that other than the invasion by a foreign power, nobody has anything bad to say about Texas.

I think that says alot.