Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   State Mythology series: Ohio (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/state-mythology-series-ohio-21892/)

skullcrusher 01-06-2010 09:43 PM

State Mythology series: Ohio

Best indigenous food: Cinci style chili or Tony Packo's (the same hungarian hot dog place Klinger on MASH always talked about)

Biggest plus: No more than a few hours drive from several cool places.

Biggest minus: The big 3 cities make policy for the rest of the state.

Weirdest wildlife: Not much weird, but the buckeye tree and nuts are real.

Word or phrase outsiders won't understand: If you hear someone shout O-H, it is mandatory to reply I-O

Locals who made good: Lots and lots of people, including 8 Presidents. John Glenn. Everything from Bob Hope to Marilyn Manson and plenty of pro athletes.

Gun laws: Open carry state with restrictions. That means each municipality or county can restrict legal areas of open carry. No wait period for gun purchases and CCL's are easily attainable. Mag cap is limited to 30 rounds max :mad:

Biggest Misconception: Ohio is not all flat farm land.

Ousider should not do: Bad mouth the Buckeyes anytime near last call.

Restaurant: Depends on the city, but my favorite is Massimo de Milano in Cleveland.

orangello 01-06-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 209294)
Weirdest wildlife: Not much weird, but the buckeye tree and nuts are real.

A former coworker had a buckeye on her desk for years. An ancient relative told her they would prevent hemmorhoids if carried in the pocket.........must've meant the back pocket to prevent sitting.

lonyaeger 01-06-2010 10:27 PM

Used to have a Cincy chili place in the mall when I lived in New Mexico....served over spaghetti! It was fantastic.

colmustard 01-06-2010 11:07 PM

GO BUCKS !!!! Man i do love some cnici chili:D

lonyaeger 01-06-2010 11:57 PM

Is it called "Skyline Chili," Skull?

skullcrusher 01-07-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 209329)
Is it called "Skyline Chili," Skull?

It is, well for the best. Skyline is not state wide, but the best of the options. There are some poser copycats out there.

cpttango30 01-07-2010 12:22 AM

In North Western Ohio The grass between the sidewalk and the street that belongs to the county but you are required to take care of is called "The Devil Strip" no place else is it called that.

So that is one thing an outside wouldn't understand being an outsider.

skullcrusher 01-07-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 209337)
In North Western Ohio The grass between the sidewalk and the street that belongs to the county but you are required to take care of is called "The Devil Strip" no place else is it called that.

So that is one thing an outside wouldn't understand being an outsider.

Actually, that is "tree lawn" outside of any part other than Copley.

Copley is NE. Never heard that even though I lived in NW Ohio for years. BG and Toledo.