Starting a collection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Starting a collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Starting a collection

Two weeks ago I bought my first firearm (Ruger 10/22) and I'm already hooked. My question is where do I go from here? Part of me thinks I should go with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with some interchangeable barrels for versatility and another part of me thinks I should pick up a .22 pistol to acclimate myself to a handgun.

If you are just starting out like me, how do you plan to build your collection OR if you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do? (for those of you with large collections)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just to clarify, this is for planning and budget purposes. It'll be at least a couple months before I do anything. I'm just looking to build a roadmap for future reference.

Thanks guys...

Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Here's a good place to start...

http://nrvoutdoors.com/WHAT%20TO%20HAVE/WHAT%20EVERYONE%20SHOULD%20HAVE.htm

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 336 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I assume you don't hunt and don't have an interest? And, you haven't worried about home defense in the past.

If it were me and I was starting over and had only the gun you have already purchased, this is what I would likely do:

Gun #1- Either semi or revolver .22. Keeps you in the same caliber and very affordable. You could get one of each because they both are fun to shoot.

Gun #2- Bolt action .22 w/good scope. For target shooting. I recommend Savage for this.

Gun #3- Either 12 or 20 gauge pump shotgun. Either Mossberg or Remington.

This will take care of some range trips and pistol skills. The shotgun can be used for clay pigeons and home defense.

Next I would move into what interests me. At this point the only limiting factor is your pocketbook.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
I assume you don't hunt and don't have an interest? And, you haven't worried about home defense in the past.

If it were me and I was starting over and had only the gun you have already purchased, this is what I would likely do:

Gun #1- Either semi or revolver .22. Keeps you in the same caliber and very affordable. You could get one of each because they both are fun to shoot.

Gun #2- Bolt action .22 w/good scope. For target shooting. I recommend Savage for this.

Gun #3- Either 12 or 20 gauge pump shotgun. Either Mossberg or Remington.

This will take care of some range trips and pistol skills. The shotgun can be used for clay pigeons and home defense.

Next I would move into what interests me. At this point the only limiting factor is your pocketbook.
I don't currently hunt, but plan to grow into it. My motivation for becoming involved in the gun "hobby" is very broad. From hunting, to protection to fun/plinking in no particular order. I like your list, but might reorder it to 3, 1, 2 to offer the protection and hunting opportunities earlier in the process.

But I could see the order you suggested if I put off the hunting. Protection where I live isn't a major concern right now, but it's growing everywhere with the direction our economy/country is headed.

Thanks for your $.02

Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

Liked 636 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 1892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadiloroadkil
Two weeks ago I bought my first firearm (Ruger 10/22) and I'm already hooked. My question is where do I go from here? Part of me thinks I should go with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with some interchangeable barrels for versatility and another part of me thinks I should pick up a .22 pistol to acclimate myself to a handgun.

If you are just starting out like me, how do you plan to build your collection OR if you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do? (for those of you with large collections)
My next step would be to get a mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel for home defense and a 28" barrel for shooting trap, hunting, etc. If you are on a small budget and want a full sized pistol look into a new high point cf 9mm. I have one and it shoots great. It only weighs 29oz fully loaded and has a lifetime warranty.

Someone will deffenatly string me up in a moment lol

Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

my PERSONAL OPINION and what I would do in your shoes, is pick up the Remington 870 combo next....they can normally be had in the $500 range new. You get the 20" rifled barrel with sights for slug hunting (deer) and a 26" smooth bore barrel for birds/clays/ etc.

Then maybe move into the handgun world next with a Ruger Mark II or some such. They are great .22 cals. and great for plinking. a great compliment to your 10/22.

or step into a Smith 686 .357 or step up to the 1911 world, or a Ruger Redhawk...another compliment for the 10/22.

The choices are infinite, limited only by your imagination and income.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMO, interchangeable barrels are more a headache than they are a help. Rather than spend the money on an extra barrel, save that money up and use it to buy a fully functional firearm at a later date.

Since you have a 22 LR Semi Auto rifle, consider a 22 LR handgun next for round compatibility. The Ruger SP101 in 22 LR is a sweet revolver, and the Buckmarks are nice semi-auto 22 pistols.

The 22s will let you hunt squirrels and very small game, like rabbits.

After that, the big decision will be a rifle or shotgun. The shotgun will be fun at the range and for bird hunting. There's a wide variety of affordable options out there - 12 gauge is readily available in a wide variety of loads, and in pump, over/under, and semi-auto versions. Or, go with a rifle in a caliber that matches the game you might chase - 30-06 will take pretty much anything in North America that most people will hunt, but if the ammo price and kick concern you, there's other choices with 0.223 and 0.243 and 30-30 being popular and pretty well rounded choices.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #9

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I am currently rebuilding my collection, I sold most of it of after college. I still had my old .22 Marlin rifle, my Mossberg 500 12ga and my Hawkin .50 black powder. Those are three guns that I would never sell. I would add the shotgun next if I were in your shoes. You can never go wrong with having a .22 rifle and 12ga pump. After the 12ga I would go for a .22 handgun of some kind (I am partial to the Single Six and Single Ten from Ruger, but that's just me). After that, the sky is the limit. So far in the past year I have bought a Ruger P95, a Ruger Single Ten, a RIA 1911, an 1858 New Army .44 black powder and a Mosin Nagant. My collection is getting back to near where it was, I need an AK, Hipower 9mm and maybe an 1851 Navy to bring it back to near what it once was. Once you buy one, you find that they tend to multiply like rabbits.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
I am currently rebuilding my collection, I sold most of it of after college. I still had my old .22 Marlin rifle, my Mossberg 500 12ga and my Hawkin .50 black powder. Those are three guns that I would never sell. I would add the shotgun next if I were in your shoes. You can never go wrong with having a .22 rifle and 12ga pump. After the 12ga I would go for a .22 handgun of some kind (I am partial to the Single Six and Single Ten from Ruger, but that's just me). After that, the sky is the limit. So far in the past year I have bought a Ruger P95, a Ruger Single Ten, a RIA 1911, an 1858 New Army .44 black powder and a Mosin Nagant. My collection is getting back to near where it was, I need an AK, Hipower 9mm and maybe an 1851 Navy to bring it back to near what it once was. Once you buy one, you find that they tend to multiply like rabbits.
I have a saying...."guns are like kids, easy to aquire but HARD to keep fed!"

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!