Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Start'em young

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 851 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Default Start'em young

OK so as some of you may know I have 19month old twins , 1 boy - 1 girl , Gods humorous blessing . At what age have some of you started them shooting ?
I take the remmy mod 34 and let him pull the trigger and he absolutely loves it , as does my girl . I know I have a few years before I can turn them loose but its kinda like getting a new hunting dog puppy and cant wait to get him trained , but then you miss them being little .

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
Blessed is the man who's quiver is full
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 892 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 685

8 or 9 is a good age.

My dad started me at 6 kind of like you're doing: he would get into a kneeling position with the rifle and I would stand behind him. He would aim and control the safety but I would get to pull the trigger. It was a good introduction for a little kid. Then around 8 he got me going with a BB gun for a year or two, all gun safety rules strictly enforced. I got my first .22 when I turned 10 but did not get to use it unsupervised until I was 12 or 13. I had pretty much the same technique with my boys

You got some cute lil younguns there...

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Last edited by 7point62; 12-13-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 687 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I had a BB gun and pocket knife by five, I was allowed to keep them on me when I went adventuring by 10.

A good five years to learn what not to do.

Only lost my knife once, got it taken away while whittling I cut towards me and nicked my thumb. Lost it for a couple of weeks.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Got my bb gun at age five and my first pocket knife at the same time. Very strict safety rules for a good amount of time. I was finally aloud to shoot on my own at age eight. (started shooting .22s and .410 s at 8ish also)

Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

As i have said before, it depends on the maturity level of the child. I have worked with kids just starting out around 5....wouldnt work some until the 10-11 age range. (really peeved off those parents when i told them "Your son doesnt have the capacity to listen well enough to basic instruction for me to start, when i see hes matured a bit more, we can get going on this.") I have met some folks in their late 30's that dont have the maturity to handle a firearm safely.

ANYWHO, depending on the maturity level, i think 5- 6 is a good place to start. I started all my kids in that age range.

My youngest @ 5-6 y/o...

Then in just a few short years (7 in this case) you can swell with pride when your seeing stuff like this....

2 between the eyes one in the mouth...(3 just bit to the left)

SLOW DOWN, dad!! The time will come all too soon.

It may not seem like it, but it wont be long and they will be in college! It sounds cliche' but its the fact. The time difference between the pics and the video seem like yesterday and light years.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 12-13-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A BB gun at age 5 or 6. Move up to a 22 LR as a reward for passing their Hunters Safety Class at maybe 10.

In the meantime, protect their ears while at the range.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #7

Liked 851 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Quote:
In the meantime, protect their ears while at the range.
Huh ? Whats ear protection ? You have to speak into my other ear , the 7mag ruined one of em
Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
Blessed is the man who's quiver is full
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.