Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Stage 3: Commencing Countdown (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/stage-3-commencing-countdown-30332/)

zhuk 08-12-2010 11:58 AM

Stage 3: Commencing Countdown

Well, bugger me! (figuratively speaking). My PTA arrived in the post today :eek:

(that's Permit to Acquire, for the must be very few here now who I haven't yet driven to distraction rabbitting on about our bureaucratic firearm-quagmire)

I waited a short 5 weeks for it, what's more (yes, hard to believe, but that is considered pretty short here, for a handgun).

NOW comes the fun part - deciding! (MP standard 9L or Pro, in my case). Ringing the importer! Hoping he can source a left-handed holster! Waiting for however long he takes to send it to the gun shop of your choice! Travel out to the far suburbs, heart in mouth, carrying lots of $$! Flash yer licence at them and commence filling out copious amounts (yes more including a new form = notice of purchase & registration this time) of paperwork! After - god has it really been more than a year? - take possession of said gun in your sweaty palm! Hurriedly buying a cleaning kit etc & trigger lock on the way out so you can legally transport it home, unmolested by the pursuing SWAT team! Wondering "holy sh*t I should have really studied those cleaning vids on youtube more closely" before now!

At least that's how I'm predicting it will probably go :p

Feel like time is conspiring against me though - the PTA last for 3 months until it expires and you must re-apply all over again, but that's not what's concerning me. Its the friggin election on Aug 21...the truly horrifying prospect of Green control of the federal Senate after that date (a very strong possibility).

A few things the prospective NSW Green Senator Lee Rhiannon, has said in the past:

My first task will be to look at a total handgun ban.

Law-abiding gun owners need their guns taken away from them.

We do not support recreational hunting by any method, by any person, including farmers.

Oh yeah, she thinks that banning farming would be a good idea into the bargain. Let the animals run wild n free and all that lol

What is especially chilling about her background is that her family were prominent Stalinists who supported Moscow through Russia's 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia and the killing of the striking Polish workers...which was way too an extreme position for the rest of the Australian Communist Party, and the movement then split. Bit of a worry that someone like that might get some REAL power in about a week. Be afraid...she is a total nutjob.

So I really hope i can get my gun and at least hold it before it gets snatched back, heh.

BUT>>All you can do is forge ahead and hope for the best though...I'm not going to let any possible future problems trash my happiness for today...f*ck them all, atm. I have to admit that when I got the letter inside and ripped it open, I was giggling like the proverbial schoolgirl. Woohoo! :D

c3shooter 08-12-2010 12:44 PM

Zhuk- you need to do some reading- about boating accidents, and how it always seems that your firearm was aboard the boat at the time of the horrid accident. DEEP water. As I recall, it was about 9:40 PM. Wednesday. Of next week.

Congrats on having made it thru the paper quagmire- and enjoy your gun. We also have politicians here that are proof that an animal CAN live with no brain.

I just picked up a very nice older Colt Officer's Model Target .38 Special last week from my local dealer. I also had to do a lot of paperwork- I took a copy of my Collector's FFL out of my wallet, signed it, and handed it to him with the cash. He handed me my Colt. :p

zhuk 08-12-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 330405)
Zhuk- you need to do some reading- about boating accidents, and how it always seems that your firearm was aboard the boat at the time of the horrid accident. DEEP water. As I recall, it was about 9:40 PM. Wednesday. Of next week.

Congrats on having made it thru the paper quagmire- and enjoy your gun. We also have politicians here that are proof that an animal CAN live with no brain.

I just picked up a very nice older Colt Officer's Model Target .38 Special last week from my local dealer. I also had to do a lot of paperwork- I took a copy of my Collector's FFL out of my wallet, signed it, and handed it to him with the cash. He handed me my Colt.

Thanks :) It's all I can do to stop myself ringing the importer at 9.01am tomorrow morning and saying "I haven't decided, dammit I'm going to get both!"

Going to have to have the choice down by next week...just in case. After so long waiting I can hardly believe its this close, finally. Its a real 'pinch yerself' moment :p

If any time has called for one of these, I think it's probably now heh http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance005.gif

Quote:

politicians here [that] are proof that an animal CAN live with no brain
Wouldn't that go down a treat chiseled on the front of Parliament House, lol. At this fag-end stage of the campaign I think there would be millions of takers for that job.

I understand about the ever-present and constant danger of these tragic boating accidents, c3. Sadly, I don't that would be considered a valid reason for your safe suddenly becoming rather emptier than usual when the police decide on one of their "keeping the population safe" snap inspections...

Bureaucracy just has no understanding of how easily boats capsize do they :rolleyes:

orangello 08-12-2010 08:31 PM

Congrats Z!

Maybe they won't actually take your gun; maybe they will just equip you with a satellite tracking device or something. ;)

zhuk 08-13-2010 02:39 AM

Wouldn't an embedded chip be easier? They could fit us all with one on the way into the polling booths (hey another plus for compulsory voting lol)

Hmm, better not give the Greens any ideas :rolleyes:

In any case, my patience will have to last a bit longer - the importer is going down to Melbourne for a month, so I get to do a bit more teeth-gnashing in the meantime (lucky the PTA lasts until Nov!). Also get to see how the election result will pan out...

TheDaggle 08-13-2010 04:40 AM

Man, Zhuk, what a PITFA. I feel for you :(.

Hats off to your determination! :D

AusLach 08-13-2010 05:05 AM

WooHoo!

Congrats man, the long process almost seems worth it now, doesn't it?!

CA357 08-13-2010 05:14 AM

Congratulations Zhuk! Just get that pistol fast.

zhuk 08-18-2010 02:30 AM

Thanks guys :)

Heh yeah getting a bit uh toey now...so near, yet so far. Weird, but after all this time the process suddenly feels so slow lol

Going to have to content myself with getting some accessories/hunting for somewhere which will sell me a holster & mag pouches (no mean feat since I can't import). Should keep me occupied in the meantime...and performing anti-Green incantations for the election Saturday (bet you're doing this too, Aus :p)

AusLach 08-18-2010 03:04 AM

Shifty bastards... :D
My vote's just going to go to the lesser of two evils I think... Only problem is, I can't figure out who's less evil!!!