Stage 2: Ignition!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Stage 2: Ignition!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Stage 2: Ignition!

Things are moving along (well as far as is bureaucratically possible). Rang up the gunshop where I bought the safes to ask about the HS2000 (XD) which was supposed to be ordered last Nov to arrive by March; guy checked out with the importer and apparently 80 are now coming into the country, hopefully soon. The March shipment didn't show because as he explained, "Springfield asks for 50,000, Australia orders 80...and our order gets absorbed" by the overwhelmingly greater US one, and have to wait for the next year's lot

Making a tedious story not all that much shorter...I put my name down for a 9mm Tactical (min legal barrel length being 5"), deposit to be lodged Friday. Don't know when they'll clear Customs...but Woot!

Had a bit of a OMFG-moment...my 1st firearm Hard to believe after all this time really...after a year of saving.

Yes it will take a while; have trawled through the dense bureaucratese and figured out the steps. Well I think so, heh:

1) Request PTA from Firearms Registry
2) Personalised application form will be sent out
3) Fill out form with:

name

firearms licence no.

safe keeping address details

type of handgun:

*business/employment
*collector
*sport/target
*high calibre permit sporting (yes that's the restricted "evil" .45 category lol)
*probationary sporting >>I'm in this category as my 'full' handgun licence doesn't kick in until Oct 1

genuine reason declaration (Only above categories applicable)

club confirmation of genuine reason/club officials' signature

4) Return form
5) Receive certified PTA after mandatory 28-day waiting period has passed
6) PTA in force for 90 days before expiry (ie you have 90 days to pick up the gun otherwise you must start all over again...so tough sh1t if something goes wrong at the importation-stage lol)
7) When received, you may acquire the particular firearm specified on presentation of issued PTA to dealer

Then sit back & wait for the cops to call on you to check out your safe, I guess (which gives you yet another form - "certificate of inspection" or something like that)

So yeah...its a longish road yet. But hey, last week I didn't even have a safe...

And I hereby thank you guys for not "absorbing" my country's order this time lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

WooHoo! Making progress there Z, congratulations. Time to start stocking up on target ammo & maybe a few snap caps.

If you get the "XD gear" with the plastic carrying case, mag loader, bore brush, and loop "holster", make very sure that you run your finger around the inside of the loop "holster" to make sure it is clean & sand-free. A buddy got some scratches on his slide from a gritty loop, although mine was fine & scratch-free. Oh, my XD45 is the 5" barrel; it doesn't feel much different in length than my buddy's XD9 in 4". It does look a bit different though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #3

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Well

Mine was in reverse did all that. Kept my guns for 22 years and the had to surrener prized possessions

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
WooHoo! Making progress there Z, congratulations. Time to start stocking up on target ammo & maybe a few snap caps.

If you get the "XD gear" with the plastic carrying case, mag loader, bore brush, and loop "holster", make very sure that you run your finger around the inside of the loop "holster" to make sure it is clean & sand-free. A buddy got some scratches on his slide from a gritty loop, although mine was fine & scratch-free. Oh, my XD45 is the 5" barrel; it doesn't feel much different in length than my buddy's XD9 in 4". It does look a bit different though.

Dunno if it will come 'cased' or not, orange...they may be able to tell me at the shop tomorrow. I have no timeframe on actual delivery either - none of the 80 are actually 'in country' as yet. God knows how long Customs takes to clear such obviously evilly dangerous goods

By 'loop' holster, do you mean the belt holster? Just guessing here - if so, I'm going to have to source a LH one anyway; if the importer can't get a hold of one I found a site that ships internationally - which is pretty damn rare from what I've been able to tell. Unsure if its LH though. As I'm using a double IPSC belt it really has to be a belt not paddle version.

Thanks for the advice though, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Mine was in reverse did all that. Kept my guns for 22 years and the had to surrener prized possessions

You were obviously a grave law-abiding danger to society, goddammit...

Hey have the bastards made any noises about taking your shotguns, yet Davy? any more action on the knee-jerk-inspections you mentioned recently?

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 719 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 1702

These assinine restrictions have removed any remaining shred of desire I might have ever had to move DownUnder.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Concrats, zhuk!
The XD (HS2000) is a very good gun, you will not be disappointed.
It's a shame that you have to go through so much bs to be able to own that gun.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
Concrats, zhuk!
The XD (HS2000) is a very good gun, you will not be disappointed.
It's a shame that you have to go through so much bs to be able to own that gun.
It was a toss-up really between the HS and the M&P9 (which the shop DID have in stock). The S&W felt good in the hand, but couldn't get past that insane overtravel (and yes I know the pronounced trigger-grittiness evens out with time...but it really sets your teeth on edge in the meantime lol). Didn't really want to have to get a trigger job done on the travel problem straight away - presuming I could easily find a smith to do it which is doubtful. Only 2-3% of firearm owners own pistols at all here, so to say we are a distinctly under-resourced minority is putting it lightly...

So, the HS wins

Imagine having to go through that same proceedure every time you want to get a new firearm...I'm sure that legislation was written to separate the truly determined from those more apathetic

Now if only I could shoot whenever I wanted! Ahh well, have to be thankful that we still have handguns at all, unlike the oppressed citizens of Her Majesty

Quote:

Old 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Dunno if it will come 'cased' or not, orange...they may be able to tell me at the shop tomorrow.

By 'loop' holster, do you mean the belt holster? Just guessing here - if so, I'm going to have to source a LH one anyway; if the importer can't get a hold of one I found a site that ships internationally - which is pretty damn rare from what I've been able to tell. Unsure if its LH though. As I'm using a double IPSC belt it really has to be a belt not paddle version.
I hope you get the plastic case & what Springfield calls the "XD gear" i believe. I use the case for transport to the "range" & such, and the mag loader is VERY helpful with the XD45, though my friend's XD9 is not as difficult to load.

The "loop" holster is the belt holster. It doesn't look like much, but it does hold the pistol on your belt and put it at a nice angle and cover the trigger area. Mine is right-handed.

Post us some pics when you get it.

edit* This is a pic of somebody else's XD tactical/5" in the same kind of holster. Not bad for a freebie holster, IMO.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-24-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Nice pic

Thanks for the qualification re 'loop' holster - national terminological differences, heh. Pretty much everyone uses belt holsters in my club; I think they do a better job of holding firm when you're running/moving a lot etc. That one looks very much like the H&K holster I've been using.

Don't know if you get the case here, since it's not Springfield therefore not branded 'XD'...but there will very definately be pics when the time comes!

Going to the shop today, place deposit & find out when the import might be likely. Next stop the PTA

Quote:

Old 06-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Good luck zhuk!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello