Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Stage 1: Initiated (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/stage-1-initiated-28514/)

zhuk 06-19-2010 10:58 AM

Stage 1: Initiated

FINALLY! got off my arse today and managed to get a couple of safes...about time since I'll be licensed one year by October.

One small rifle safe, one pistol. As per our insanely detailed regulations; "3mm or 6mm diameter steel minimum, fully rebated, with concealed/sealed end hinges of not more than 1mm clearance" lol

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_j99tuk1BEXI/TB...12/A-B%204.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_j99tuk1BEXI/TB...12/A-B%205.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_j99tuk1BEXI/TB...s640/H%201.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_j99tuk1BEXI/TB...s640/H%202.jpg

I know, yeah, it's only a couple of safes. Hardly the tactical AR or (be still my beating heart!) the AK I *wish* I could show off here...lol

but I've been waiting so long to buy something more substantially firearm-related than just a gun bag or a pair of sling swivels...so humour me...

But its a start!

spittinfire 06-19-2010 01:19 PM

Zhuk, I may have asked you this before but what do you need to have to legally store firearms in your crazy country? They can do inspections can't they?

CA357 06-19-2010 03:29 PM

Congratulations for small miracles. ;)

Gojubrian 06-19-2010 06:51 PM

Congratulations!! Now, I bet you can't wait to fill em' up!

General_lee 06-19-2010 07:16 PM

Congrats!
Once you get what those cases are designed to hold, my friend, you will be one happy camper:D

orangello 06-19-2010 08:32 PM

Nice! I need to get a safe of some type for my firearms. Generally i like to have my XD45 & Mossy within reach & loaded, but the others would be safer from theft in a safe. Cool old-school key there, i gotta say.

AusLach 06-20-2010 02:37 AM

Nice work! Im going to have to get one for myself as well because between him and me, dad's will be well and truely full by the time I get my new rifle!
This might sound stupid but do you use the pistol safe for an actual pistol or for the bolt and ammo of your rifle? I just noticed the rifle safe doesn't have an ammo safe.. Is this route cheaper than getting a rifle safe with inbuilt ammo locker?

lonyaeger 06-20-2010 02:51 AM

Good job there, zhuk.

CHLChris 06-20-2010 03:55 AM

Watch out! Now you've got to fill them. And remember, ammo is like ice cream, there always room for a little more!

zhuk 06-20-2010 05:11 AM

Thanks for sharing in my rather over-the-top joy, guys :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 302662)
Zhuk, I may have asked you this before but what do you need to have to legally store firearms in your crazy country? They can do inspections can't they?

The laws vary slightly State by state, but in NSW for all bolt action rimfire/centrefire rifle/non-pump action shotgun (ie A/B Category) combinations the requirements are (and I'm quoting from the police website, which explains the meticulous detail lol):

*Minimum 3mm structural grade mild 250 steel door and body, continuous welding on all edges
*solid metal locks min width 40mm with min 100 key changes
*be bolted to dwelling foundations by min 4 points if safe weighs less empty than 150kg
*be mounted onto brick/stone/masonry by at least 4 masonry anchors 90mm length 10mm diameter or wall studs/bearers by 4 galvanized hexagon head coach screws not less than 65mm length 8mm diameter.

Restricted-Prohibited Weapons (semi-auto centrefires, pump-action shotguns/deactivated or replicas of these)/and Handguns (ie C/D/H Category) requirements are a bit more onerous.

As well as the basic above, there is additionally for this Category:

*Minimum 6mm structural grade mild 250 steel door and body, continuous welding on all edges
*door swung on either concealed pivots, or externally mounted sealed end hinges welded to the door and body of the safe, with a clearance round the door of not more than 1mm
*if hinged, have a locking bar or dogging bolts welded to the inside face of the door near the hinge edge, which engages in a rebate in the container body when the door is closed
*be fitted with a 6-lever key, pick resistant, deadbolt locking system (2 locks required for longarms). The lock should be securely fixed to the rear face of the door and a metal strap overlapping the lock case with each end welded to hardened steel anti-drill plates (3mm mild case hardened to 60 Rockwell C0, which will be in turn welded to the door).
*be constructed with a full length rebate welded to the side of the container body. Locking edge to receive the deadbolt of the locking mechanism.
*a pistol safe should be constructed to leave a 10mm skirt formed by the recessing of the back plate from the outer edges of the sides, top and bottom wall plates to prevent jemmying.

Inspections of Storage Facilities

Owners of firearms must allow a police officer to inspect facilities at a mutually agreeable time.

In the case of a Firearms Dealer and Security Firms, inpections may take place at any reasonable time.

Penalties

Failure to comply with the storage requirements of the Firearms Act 1996 is an offence and may be subject to a maximum of 14 years imprisonment for prohibited firearms & pistols and 5 years for any other firearm. A police officer may seize any firearm or ammunition that is not being stored correctly and the firearm is forfeited on a finding of guilty by the court.

Detailed enough for you spittin hehe? :D

You can also have your safe inspected pretty much anytime they decide to - but ought to be contacted for a suitable time first. I have no idea if this warning always happens in real life though.

If I understand the legislation correctly (and getting thru it can do your head in lol), after you apply for a PTA (permit to accquire, takes about 4-6 wks) then the Firearms registry notify your local police who call to arrange to inspect your safe. Then you are given a certificate or some such which states you are complying with regulations...then you can get your PTA processed by the firearms dealer....and eventually pick up your gun (after a "28-day cooling off period" if its your first gun).

I have this scenario in my head of bells/red lights flashing/sirens wailing whenever a PTA gets logged into the cops' system...but maybe that's just my paranoia lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 302857)
Congrats!
Once you get what those cases are designed to hold, my friend, you will be one happy camper

Ha too right! There are ALL sorts of possibilities now (even if I do have to stick to bolt actions)

Have to track down a HS2000 too (XD Tactical to you - barrel must be 5" to be legal) which looks like it won't be easy...the shop which was meant to be getting one in last March still hasn't been able squeeze it out of HS-Arms. Somehow I think we are way down their customer list - 50 000 imported/yr US vs possibly 30/yr Aust.

May have to go for the used-gun route on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusLach (Post 302989)
Nice work! Im going to have to get one for myself as well because between him and me, dad's will be well and truely full by the time I get my new rifle!
This might sound stupid but do you use the pistol safe for an actual pistol or for the bolt and ammo of your rifle? I just noticed the rifle safe doesn't have an ammo safe.. Is this route cheaper than getting a rifle safe with inbuilt ammo locker?

No I'm going to use the pistol one for the handgun I mentioned above - when I can find one (which is debatable atm heh). Its also 6mm door & body, so over what is needed for ammo - that can be any "not easily penetrated and lockable container." In NSW you don't have to store the bolt separately, as far as I'm aware - just the ammo. Yes, Much cheaper to get a rifle safe without an ammo compartment Aus; I already had this aluminium lockable cabinet which contains the rather small amount of 9mm ammo I have now, plus half a box of .22 and some shotgun shells from a comp that got unexpectedly cut short. I also have a plastic tradies' tool box with a hasp-and-staple padlock inside the cabinet, just for overkill :p

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_j99tuk1BEXI/TB...%20cabinet.jpg