Spree Killing, but with NO GUNS ?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Spree Killing, but with NO GUNS ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
May happen here someday.
Oh, I don't know. Try wandering into any town in Texas, or Tennessee, or Arizona and make an announcement like that....

JD

Old 06-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Oh, I don't know. Try wandering into any town in Texas, or Tennessee, or Arizona and make an announcement like that....

JD
Oh, I didn't say it would be voluntary!
Hell, even if it happened here (NY) , my guns wouldn't be in the pile! That much I can assure you...but your point is well taken, that's why I believe I will be living elsewhere in the near future.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-12-2008 at 01:46 AM.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Oh, I didn't say it would be voluntary!
Hell, even if it happened here (NY) , my guns wouldn't be in the pile! That much I can assure you...but your point is well taken, that's why I believe I will be living elsewhere in the near future.
Understood. Understood my friend and ally. You always have a pillow and a place to put it here at my place.

JD

Old 06-12-2008, 02:18 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Understood. Understood my friend and ally. You always have a pillow and a place to put it here at my place.

JD
Thanks buddy - and where do you live? I've been doing a rather extensive search in mid-western amd western states as far as demographics, hunting and gun laws. Sick and tired of the east coast, mid-atlantic states and their repressive political BS.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks buddy - and where do you live? I've been doing a rather extensive search in mid-western amd western states as far as demographics, hunting and gun laws. Sick and tired of the east coast, mid-atlantic states and their repressive political BS.
Pacific Northwest Area. I live outside of Seattle, but I can whole heartedly recommend Idaho as one hell of a friendly state for the firearms owner. I might be retiring there, or a tad to the East of it, when the time comes.

JD

Old 06-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, Idaho got my attention during the Randy Weaver debacle. Beautiful country and decent, hardworking Americans. I wonder how affordable it is these days? Washington state was another of my possibles. I guess depending on what part of the state you reside, you may even see some sunshine for half the year? lol

Old 06-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #17

Don't worry, an awful lot of 3' lentghs of 8" PVC sewer pipe were sold during 1997, and most people seemed to want two screw on end cap fittings with them.
But, most shooters in Australia are decent law abiding people, and many of them, bless them in their naivety, trusted our government and feared the consequences of resisting and so went along with it. ( 7 years imprisonment and a $14,000 fine as a possible outcome of having an unregistered firearm is a pretty good inducement to go along with it).
I must say though, the public rally in Melbourne against the laws was bigger than anything seen since the Vietnam War protests, and at one protest rally our Fearless Leader fronted the crowd wearing a bulletproof vest which outraged the protesters and caused quite a stir afterwards.....

Idaho is a bit far away for me, and you fellas drive on the wrong side of the road too but if things get any tighter, and maybe if they don't then I am going to New Zealand.
No registration except for assault rifles and handguns
No ban on semi auto longarms
No ban on pump shotguns
No ban on silencers
No 28 day waiting period to buy a gun
No taking a gun to a dealer to transfer ownership, the seller just has to sight your licence
No restrictions on adults owning, buying or selling airguns of any type, you only need a licence for them if you are under 18
You can buy a gun mail order if the local cop signs the order form to say you do have a licence
No stupid laws mandating a minimum thickness for your gunsafe or a minimum number of tumblers inthe lock or any such crap, just a requirement to keep your guns secure and you get in trouble if youdon't and someone gets them that shouldn't
Heaps more.

Man that is freedom to me!!!!
the government there will also let me build a hotrod from scratch without having to use an engine made in the last 5 years, unlike the ones here.

Bloody hell, I think I might go there anyway, they seem like a much friendlier bunch that the ****heads we have in power in Australia ( and I am not talking any particular party here, but a general political attitude and beauracracy).

Old 06-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I hear what you're saying Carnut, and I sympathize with you and all Australians. When they passed the ban I couldn't believe it. The Brits attempted the same thing in Canada, and came damned close too. American's going hunting in Canada have to jump through hurdles and pay ridiculous fee's to bring their hunting firearms into the country, and then must hire a guide. I heard that even the RCMP have to keep their long guns locked in the trunks of their cruisers, and call for permission from a shift Supervisor before they can retrieve them! This is all in line with UN Global Gun Disarmament - and any country that allows the UN's Socia-list agenda to become law of the land is in deep, deep trouble as far as freedoms and civil rights go. I had no idea how Australia went so far as to dictate Gun Safe wall thickness and amount of tumblers! And restrictions on car engines??? New Zealand does sound like a nice place!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #19

Yeah, a gunsafe for a longarm must be a minimum of 3/4"hardwood with no screws visible from the outside.
It can be made from reinforced concrete with steel mesh inside.
It can be made of steel but musth be minimum 1/16" (actually this is all in metric equivalents, I'm just converting)
The safe must be a minimum of 150kg ( around 300lb) or must be bolted down.
If it is for handguns or for the rare person with a semi-auto longarm licence ( mostly farmers with a minimum size of land and profesional pest exterminators) the safe must be of steel minimum 1/4" and MUST be bolted down, even if it weighs tons.
The ammunition must be in a seperate locked box, and teh bolts and magazines must be in a seperate locked box. The lock on the safe is 4 lever or more.
Combination locks are ok though.

As for the cars, if you modify a car with the non standard engine, the emmissions and all other safety gear must be rigiht for the motor or car, whichever is newer, and in most states if you modify a car at all you need an engineer's certificate and if the power of engie capacity go up by 25% or more then all of the safety gear must be upgraded, eg. heater with demister, 2 speed wipers with intermittent, retractable seatbelts etc in a 1950s car.
If you build a car from scratch, then the engine and all other mandated equipment including all emmisions and safety gear must comply with the current regulations for new cars, so you must use an engine from the last couple of years ( 2003 at the moment I think) complete with its emmissions gear as certified by the car maker, or get the engine emmission tested at a cost of between $2-5,000.
If you build a hotrod using an original chassis witih a 19970s motor, it must run all 1970s emmissions and safety gear.

Also a driver who has been licenced for less than a year inmost states is banned from driving a car with 8 or more cylinders or with any kind of forced induction, so they can drive a Porsche 911 non-turbo with 400hp but can't drive a '32 ford flathead with about 100hp, and they can't drive a Smart with its 700cc turbo engine or any turbo diesels......crazy.
Only one state has a sensible policy on this, and that is a limit on the power to weight ratio that new drivers can drive in their first year. A couple of states hav a similar policy on motorbikes you new riders, but most just limit you to 250cc for the first 2years.

I could go on typing for hours on the nasty crap we are saddled with here that others are not, but I wouldn't get my work done if I did, and I have several drawing revisions piling up on my desk to get through so I must leave it there for now.......

Last edited by CARNUT1100; 06-13-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:29 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My God, you have my sympathy! And I thought things were bad here...well they are, it's just that in comparison you have it much worse.