Spirits (alcohol, not boo) - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Spirits (alcohol, not boo)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I love any and all rum, except for that pineapple flavored stuff. I don't know why anybody would have that.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #82
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2558 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

Gentleman Jack from Tennessee~

One drink in the evening!

3 Shots in a 4" (Glass) Glass on the Rocks (only!)

Nectar of the Gods!!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #83

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You know, I was thinking about it and I remember a local radio station re-did some test that was on TV, or on the news/Interwebz.

It was about taking a cheap vodka and running it through charcoal like from a fish tank filter and it was supposed to help with the taste.

They took some rock gut vodka, ran it through this layered, charcoal filter system and then through some sort of "ice sculture/ice covered hose thing" to chill it so they could sip it at roughly the same temp you would get it served from the bar.

The final results were postive, that the rock gut COULD be better distilled through charcoal to improve taste and "flavor" of the vodka, but the cost of all the charcoal and the set up was far more than the cost of good vodka to begin with.

So, by that line of thinking, I suppose if you got yourself set up with this charcoal distillery in advance, and ran a bunch of cheap vodka through at a time before the charcoal lost it's filtering abilities, than maybe you could get the price point down to make it tolerable. *shrug*

Or you could just buy some Zyr and shoot it with an orange slice for a good buzz and the least amount of calories by volume.

JD
I tried a similar experiment with some cheaper single malt and a Brita water pitcher/filter. It did take away some of the nasty metallic taste of the cheap scotch, but it also took a lot of flavor away. IMO, save your pennies and buy the good stuff.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #84

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah, sipping vodka is hard to find as most people use it to shoot or mix. a 3 times or 5 times distilled is still going to take the air out of your lungs if you try to sip it. Not to mention some of the lower end ( I think it's the ryes ) can really play havoc on your system.
Are you talking rye whiskey, or vodka distilled from rye? If the former, I respectfully disagree, I've never had a problem with rye whiskey. If the later, ultimately with vodka(or other distilled beverages) it isn't the source of the fermentables but the distillation process. For your typical low end vodka they toss out the first and last 10% of the distillate because that is mostly the higher(ex. propanol)/lower(ex. methanol) alcohols other than ethanol produced from the fermentation of the mash. In higher end vodkas they might throw out the first and last 25%. with Joss they throw out the first 40% and the last 25%! I think the whole 3-5-whatever times distilled stuff is basically the same idea, to get rid of as much of the non ethanol fermentation products as possible by repeatedly removing the leads and tails from multiple distillations. That is also why higher end vodkas cost so much, more energy involved in distilling, less product at the end.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 05-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #85

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Are you talking rye whiskey, or vodka distilled from rye?
Vodka. I was not certain, hence the question marks.

I know not a hell of a lot about whiskey to be honest. Haven't acquired that taste as of yet.

JD

Old 05-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Don't take the SHTF comment too seriously. We will all devolve pretty rapidly as it is without adding pure rottgut like Everclear to your digestive system. Discerning gentlemen will rule this world after the zombie apocalypse if only because they didn't put liquid crap into their bodies.
Whats the point of generators and refrigeration without jello shots, though?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #87
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been following this thread and have only now had any real time to comment.

I don't claim to be ANY sort of expert on adult beverages. But I do believe that, like finding the right firearm to fit you, the same goes for scotch, tequila, vodka or whatever.

Now with that being said, my favorite tequila bar none is Pueblo Viejo Tequila Pueblo Viejo 100% de Agave.

I was first introduced to this fine sipping tequila by a professor from the University in Mexico City. He and his wife had just finished the school year and were camping their way up to New England somewhere. One evening he walked into our camp site with this bottle of Reposado and two blue enamel coffee cups. We sat next to the fire for a time listening to the river and night birds sing.

Good times those.

pb250088.jpg  

Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #88

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
I've been following this thread and have only now had any real time to comment.

I don't claim to be ANY sort of expert on adult beverages. But I do believe that, like finding the right firearm to fit you, the same goes for scotch, tequila, vodka or whatever.

Now with that being said, my favorite tequila bar none is Pueblo Viejo Tequila Pueblo Viejo 100% de Agave.

I was first introduced to this fine sipping tequila by a professor from the University in Mexico City. He and his wife had just finished the school year and were camping their way up to New England somewhere. One evening he walked into our camp site with this bottle of Reposado and two blue enamel coffee cups. We sat next to the fire for a time listening to the river and night birds sing.

Good times those.
Very nice.

But you forgot to add that you were really drunk.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #89

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Knob Creek is probably the best affordable single malt. Got that smoky flavor as well.

Vodka? Stoli is a multi-filtered affordable brand.

Two-fingers is a good tequilla, but you can never go wrong with the average agave mix. Most can't tell from a margarita made with 40% versus 90%. YMMV
Yeah, the only problem with that is that Knob Creek is not a single-malt!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #90

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a lot of choices (thanks for the ideas) but I decided to give Titos a try based on Lon's recommendation. Lon has a taste for the finer things and he KNOWS excellence. I was not disappointed. If you are a vodka man, try Titos. It's my new label, for sure.

For tequila, I opted for El Jimador. a colorless, 100% blue agave that is quite delicious straight. I like it quite a bit.