Spirits (alcohol, not boo) - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Spirits (alcohol, not boo)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I guess what hangs me up about vodka is that I have had a good vodka ONCE. It was nutty and flavorful. A real joy. But every brand i have had since, has tasted like disinfectant. I can't ask the person who had the good stuff, because that was my mom and she passed on nearly 4 years ago.
Did you sip it, mix it or shoot it?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #72

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I have been told that the Costco house brand (Kirkland) vodka is Grey Goose.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #73

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bear in mind that with four beers on tap in the garage I don't go to the hard stuff that often.

Bourbon:

• Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (aged 13 years, very smooth, bottled once a year, selected from a single batch each year has a somewhat different character, I save this for special occasions)
  • Woodford Reserve (20% rye in the mash bill lends a nice spiciness, official bourbon of the KY Derby)
  • Knob Creek (aged 9 years, my regular sipping whiskey, if a beer drinker can be said to have a regular sipping whiskey Edit: I serve this over ice cubes shaped like knob creek bottles)

Vodka:
  • Joss (made locally, Water trucked in from the Nebraska Sandhills, organic Nebraska wheat)
  • Monopolowa

Scotch:
  • Glenfiddich Solara Reserve 15yr
  • Macallen 18 year
  • Balvenie Double Wood
Don't drink any others types enough to express a preference, Jaeger burns when it exits through the nose.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Last edited by camiller; 05-23-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #74

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Did you sip it, mix it or shoot it?
Sip. It was quite good.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Vodka: Grey Goose or Stoli. Both stored in the freezer, served on the rocks, with an olive or two.

Scotch: If you're looking for single malt, do not spend less than $30/bottle. It will taste like metal, and leave you with a nasty hangover. You can get the Glenlevit 12yr for $32 at the liquor store up the street from me (and Schnucks grocery stores are around that price as well). The best scotch I ever had was a $15/glass at some wine bar next to the restaurant we were going to with a group of friends. I'm going to have to go find the name of that crap, because it was absolutely fantastic.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #76

Quote:
Sip. It was quite good.
Yeah, sipping vodka is hard to find as most people use it to shoot or mix. a 3 times or 5 times distilled is still going to take the air out of your lungs if you try to sip it. Not to mention some of the lower end ( I think it's the ryes ) can really play havoc on your system.

I remember a bad case of night tremors/terrors I had after drinking some cheap, black label vodka. Felt like my heart was going to explode and I was a nervous, over-excited wreck. Not a good experience.

Anything in your lower categories is NOT sipping vodka. You really need a premium vodka like Jewel of Russia Ultra or one of those real high end vodkas to really just sit, sip and appreciate it.

I can't just sit and sip Stoli Elite unless it's ice cold, but it's too damn good and expensive to mix, so I line up a couple of shots, get an orange wedge and I am good to go.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

There is a nice vodka called VOX, but its price is probably inflated to cover the pretty bottle (bought my first bottle with a gift certificate from my night class kids). I like Two Fingers tequila for mixing & will do some shots occaisionally. Smirnoff blue cap isn't bad with a bit of cranberry juice. I freakin LOVE Tres Generacions for shooters, though (lick, shake, lick, shoot, bite for the wussies).

Of course, if you are talking SHTF preparedness, Everclear has to be on the list; you can burn it, disinfect, mix for drinking, probably even strip some paint or clean a gunky gun.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #78

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

Of course, if you are talking SHTF preparedness, Everclear has to be on the list; you can burn it, disinfect, mix for drinking, probably even strip some paint or clean a gunky gun.
Don't take the SHTF comment too seriously. We will all devolve pretty rapidly as it is without adding pure rottgut like Everclear to your digestive system. Discerning gentlemen will rule this world after the zombie apocalypse if only because they didn't put liquid crap into their bodies.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #79

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah, sipping vodka is hard to find as most people use it to shoot or mix. a 3 times or 5 times distilled is still going to take the air out of your lungs if you try to sip it. Not to mention some of the lower end ( I think it's the ryes ) can really play havoc on your system.

I remember a bad case of night tremors/terrors I had after drinking some cheap, black label vodka. Felt like my heart was going to explode and I was a nervous, over-excited wreck. Not a good experience.

Anything in your lower categories is NOT sipping vodka. You really need a premium vodka like Jewel of Russia Ultra or one of those real high end vodkas to really just sit, sip and appreciate it.

I can't just sit and sip Stoli Elite unless it's ice cold, but it's too damn good and expensive to mix, so I line up a couple of shots, get an orange wedge and I am good to go.
Sounds to me that there just aint no way of getting out of paying for the good stuff. There just isn't any short cuts for quality.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #80

Quote:
Sounds to me that there just aint no way of getting out of paying for the good stuff. There just isn't any short cuts for quality.
You know, I was thinking about it and I remember a local radio station re-did some test that was on TV, or on the news/Interwebz.

It was about taking a cheap vodka and running it through charcoal like from a fish tank filter and it was supposed to help with the taste.

They took some rock gut vodka, ran it through this layered, charcoal filter system and then through some sort of "ice sculture/ice covered hose thing" to chill it so they could sip it at roughly the same temp you would get it served from the bar.

The final results were postive, that the rock gut COULD be better distilled through charcoal to improve taste and "flavor" of the vodka, but the cost of all the charcoal and the set up was far more than the cost of good vodka to begin with.

So, by that line of thinking, I suppose if you got yourself set up with this charcoal distillery in advance, and ran a bunch of cheap vodka through at a time before the charcoal lost it's filtering abilities, than maybe you could get the price point down to make it tolerable. *shrug*

Or you could just buy some Zyr and shoot it with an orange slice for a good buzz and the least amount of calories by volume.

JD