Speaking of children...Child shoots intruder during home break-in
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Speaking of children...Child shoots intruder during home break-in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default Speaking of children...Child shoots intruder during home break-in

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=10741492&nav=menu57_2

Child shoots intruder during home break-in
Posted: July 16, 2009 08:15 PM
Updated: July 17, 2009 10:06 AM
Child shoots intruder during home break-in

Dean Favron (Picture source: West Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)

By David Spunt - email

PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - A ten-year-old boy left home alone with his sister used his mother's gun to shoot an intruder in the face, police said.

Late Tuesday, West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputies received a call to a Port Allen apartment complex after several shots rang out from inside one of the apartments. "You are out here trying to work and for someone to come and do that and invade your home is very hard," the children's mother said. She asked to not be identified.

Deputies say Dean Favron and Roderick Porter knocked several times on the apartment door. The two young children, a ten-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl, stood on the other side, terrified. "He told his sister to be quiet and seconds later, they started kicking on the door and finally kicked the door in," said Sheriff Mike Cazes. The two children ran to their mother's bedroom closet.

In a panic, the ten-year-old grabbed his mother's gun for protection. "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun, but thank God he did," she said. Once the two suspects opened the door, threatening the kids, deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter. The two men were taken to the hospital, where they were later arrested. "It's just hard. I don't understand why they would do that. I know they have little brothers and sisters and they wouldn't want anyone to break into their house," said the mother.

Each man is held on $150,000 bond. A third suspect, a juvenile, was taken to a local detention center. One of the suspects, Dean Favron, just finished serving almost seven years in prison for aggravated assault on a Baton Rouge police officer and two carjacking charges. He was released on June 6th.

Both men will appear before a judge next month.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 07-17-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think there is more to this story.

But, I'm really of mixed minds on this whole issue. Kids (8 & 10) left home alone?? Loaded gun accessible to them???

I would be hard pressed to find a victim in this mess! I do however, think the LEO could run out of citation pads at this scene.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Obviously the boy didn't use enough gun.

8 & 10 year olds shouldn't be left home alone.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with cane.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Indeed, when I read this I was thinking the age of the kids were too young to be latch key kids.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A properly taught 10 year old boy should have, at least, a single shot shotgun, if not a small pumpgun, IMO. We're talking about Baton Rouge, not L.A.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do agree that the kids should not have been alone. I have a 9y/o and a 12 y/o and i do not leave them at home alone but i bet that when our wonderful justice system lets them out of jail again they will think twice before they kick that door in again.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
A properly taught 10 year old boy should have, at least, a single shot shotgun, if not a small pumpgun, IMO. We're talking about Baton Rouge, not L.A.
I completely agree and belive that the boy did whats right, the only problem I see with this is that our legal system does not have enough common sense to know he did what was right.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm happy with the result of the break in but kids that young shouldn't be left alone and the mother shouldn't of had a loaded pistol where the kids could access it. I think we have all read too many stories about young kids playing with parents loaded firearms with tragic results.

At least this time the gun was pointed at a bad guy. The kid did a great job but the parent has issues.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #10

The 10yr old knew where the loaded gun was, and that he could use it to protect his sister? I think the mom is holding something back; maybe she did train him to use it. How does a 10yr old put rounds in two guys, but not just any shot a head shot. The kid must be Dirty Harry's son or something.