South Carolina Teen Arrested for Alleged High School Bomb Plot

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > South Carolina Teen Arrested for Alleged High School Bomb Plot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default South Carolina Teen Arrested for Alleged High School Bomb Plot

South Carolina Teen Arrested for Alleged High School Bomb Plot
Sunday , April 20, 2008

COLUMBIA, S.C. —

A high school senior collected enough supplies to carry out a bomb attack on his school and detailed the plot in a hate-filled diary that included maps of the building and admiring notations about the Columbine killers, authorities said Sunday.

Ryan Schallenberger, 18, was arrested Saturday after his parents called police when 10 pounds of ammonium nitrate was delivered to their home in Chesterfield and they discovered the journal, said the town's police chief, Randall Lear.

The teen planned to make several bombs and had all the supplies needed to kill dozens at Chesterfield High School, depending on where the devices were placed and whether they included shrapnel, Lear said. Ammonium nitrate was used in the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 that killed 168 people.

"The only thing left was delivering the bombs," the police chief said.

Schallenberger kept a journal for more than a year that detailed his plans for a suicide attack and included maps of the school, police said. The writings did not include a specific time for the attack or the intended targets.

He also left an audio tape to be played after he died explaining why he wanted to bomb his school. Lear wouldn't detail what was on the tape except to say Schallenberger was an angry young man.

"He seemed to hate the world. He hated people different from him — the rich boys with good-looking girlfriends," Lear said.

In his writings, Schallenberger said he admired the two teens who killed 13 people at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999 before committing suicide, Lear said. The attack happened nine years ago Sunday, but Lear said investigators do not know whether there was any link between the anniversary and Schallenberger's plans.

Schallenberger was one of the top students at the high school of about 580 students and had not caused any serious problems before his arrest, principal Scott Radkin said.

The teen was in the Chesterfield County jail Sunday night, charged with possessing materials to make bombs, the police chief said. A bond hearing was scheduled for Monday. Other than the bomb-making material, no other weapons were found at his home, Lear said.

Lear said Schallenberger did not have an attorney. His parents could not immediately be located Sunday by The Associated Press.

Security will be tightened at the school when students return Monday. Students will walk through metal detectors borrowed from a courthouse, and bomb and drug sniffing dogs have been called in. Lear said he does not expect any problems.

Chesterfield is a town of about 1,500 people in northeastern South Carolina near the North Carolina line.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351894,00.html

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, thats what happens when the media plays up the Cho's and the two jackasses that hit Columbine. Even though the media casts a negative light, they still "glorify" them by doing in depth media pieces about the idiots. It speaks volumes when the potential criminal says he "admired" them. Let them all be forgotten IMO, focus on the victims only.
I would bet a paycheck that a lot of us (including myself) can't remember a single victim from VT, OKC, or Columbine but we know who Cho, Clebold and McVeigh are.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ That is a true story. I can't name one victim with looking them up, nor I can I tell you if anyone from any of those tragedy's went on to service in public office, take a sabatical to a foreign land, win a Pulitzer or even graduate. The media focus is on the criminal in the thirst for more knowledge and that becomes the defining character of the event.

Very tragic that these morons become the modern day "anti heros" for the youth of the nation.

D

Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #4

Just some more misguided whackos looking for a way celebrate Hitlers birthday.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 06-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Ryan Schallenberger, 18, was arrested Saturday after his parents called police when 10 pounds of ammonium nitrate was delivered to their home in Chesterfield and they discovered the journal, said the town's police chief, Randall Lear.
My deepest thanks and sympathies go out to the parents. This has got to be one of the hardest things they have ever done.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7136 Times on 4295 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
My deepest thanks and sympathies go out to the parents. This has got to be one of the hardest things they have ever done.

4 year old thread.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Liked 2525 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

Really? 18 years of living with this "angry young man" and this is the first time they noticed anything? They sound like dipsticks to me. This is what we get when we teach our kids there is no God and if it feels good do it. This is what we get when we aren't allowed to discipline children. This is what we get when we tell kids what a fine job they did even when they completely screwed it up. This is what we get when we don't keep score at competitions and teach kids that winning doesn't matter. Then when they get out in the real world and find out doing things correctly does matter and they really are competing, they can't cope. They get angry because in the real world people aren't patting them on the back for being a screw up. The reason the media is to blame is for constantly spewing the liberal lies.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Then scandal mongers in hollywood making movies about them don't help matters.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #9

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Wow, I think doc may have set a record with the zombie threads. This is the oldest I've seen.

Where's the cake?

Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Preposterous!