Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Sometimes you have to take the Good with the Bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Default Sometimes you have to take the Good with the Bad

Ok, the bad first....

I've been sitting on my ass for the last 5 1/2 weeks nursing a broken ankle. It's been 22 years since the last serious accident (fractured knee, foot, wrist, and road rash from motorcycle wreck) where I was unable to walk for an extended period of time without issue. Now that sucked! But I was young and bounced back pretty damned fast with no recurring issues. Fast foward to early Aug 2012 - while working on the "money pit" I fell off 8 foot stepladder and landed very badly. From what the doc says, its going to be a while before I will be really mobile. It kills me because I've been a free lance IT guy for awhile now, picking/choosing what work I want. It has allowed my to re-hab my new house as well as do other work as I please. Now I cannot do any of that, which sucks, because "no work...no money...no new toys!

Now, the good....

While sitting around bored out of my gourd, I decided I would get back to some my old hobbies/interests. I found this site/forum and I'm glad I did. There is a wealth of information here and the discussions are current and enlightening. You guys/gals have been great and I really enjoy being on here - it has really helped to pass the time. Like a bad rash, I plan to be here a long time...

btw- if anyone is looking or knows someone who is looking for a house in Mount Juliet,TN area, PM me... I've got one for sale... CHEAP!

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #2

Liked 1339 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 655

Astroman, I've got one for sale 30 mi. East of yours!
15 acres on a lake, deer, turkey, 'yots, and coons for the taking.
I'm moving to the big city-Cookeville.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #3

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Astroman, your should get Mr. Wray to tell you his recent story of falling off a ladder...

Old 09-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #4

Liked 855 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Congrads , you are now addicted to this site

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
Blessed is the man who's quiver is full
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Congrads , you are now addicted to this site

I believe you are right....lets see...I got up around 7:30am this morning and other than getting something to eat and a couple trips to the bathroom, its now 10:30pm or so and I am still on here! I might need an intervention!

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 09-22-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Astroman, your should get Mr. Wray to tell you his recent story of falling off a ladder...
Ok Mr Wray - spill the beans? Were you working on your porch roof too?

If I could have missed the cement landing by 3 inches I wouldnt be here now - Thank you concrete for ruining my ankle... Damn You Sakrete!!! Damn You!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman View Post
Ok, the bad first....

I've been sitting on my ass for the last 5 1/2 weeks nursing a broken ankle. It's been 22 years since the last serious accident (fractured knee, foot, wrist, and road rash from motorcycle wreck) where I was unable to walk for an extended period of time without issue. Now that sucked! But I was young and bounced back pretty damned fast with no recurring issues. Fast foward to early Aug 2012 - while working on the "money pit" I fell off 8 foot stepladder and landed very badly. From what the doc says, its going to be a while before I will be really mobile. It kills me because I've been a free lance IT guy for awhile now, picking/choosing what work I want. It has allowed my to re-hab my new house as well as do other work as I please. Now I cannot do any of that, which sucks, because "no work...no money...no new toys!

Now, the good....

While sitting around bored out of my gourd, I decided I would get back to some my old hobbies/interests. I found this site/forum and I'm glad I did. There is a wealth of information here and the discussions are current and enlightening. You guys/gals have been great and I really enjoy being on here - it has really helped to pass the time. Like a bad rash, I plan to be here a long time...

btw- if anyone is looking or knows someone who is looking for a house in Mount Juliet,TN area, PM me... I've got one for sale... CHEAP!

One bit of advise: Like you said, old bones don't heal as quickly as they used to. Don't try to cheat on what the doctor tells you about getting back on your feet. Had a friend break bones in his foot in a car accident. He didn't do like the doctor advised him & had bad trouble with it. Ended up having to re-break & re-set them!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

gollygee - good advice - thanks. Its driving me nutz to be sitting around, but hey, thats the hand I was recently dealt. Today I spent most of my time reading a new book - got kinda tired of watching FOX news and surfing the web - took a good nap too...hehe I almost feel like a retiree! Cant wait for Friday when I go back to the doctor and find out what my progress has been. What is worrying me lately is the pain Im getting in the calf of my leg and down into the ankle/foot area - its a real strong dull ache that only a painkiller seems to help with. Its strange. I took 1 pill the night I broke it (lortab) and none since until this last Saturday(6 weeks later) when all of a sudden this damn aching pain has been affecting me and i have had to take approx 1 pill each day - the pain is like when you either slam a finger in the car door or a firecracker blows up in your hand...that kind of pain - and it sucks!

I cant imagine having to have my ankle reset....Lord no!!