Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > some would call it "price gouging"...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8043 Times on 4639 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Care should be taken in selling ammo. I would suggest that you check the federal and state laws. And don't forget about sales tax and zoning.
As long as you aren't manufacturing the ammo yourself I am not aware of any ammo sales restrictions here in CA. Are there places that do currently have restrictions?

Oh, and yeah, make sure that you pay the sales tax and report the sale on your returns.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
In my opinion there is a lot of price gouging going on right now. So how do I define price gouging? Let me tell you how we see it here in Florida. If gas is normally $3.00 a gallon, and a hurricane is coming, having the gas stations along the evacuation route raise their prices to $5.00 a gallon is price gouging. After the electricity goes off charging $5.00 for a $1.00 bag of ice is price gouging. Following that logic, selling a $30 magazine for $75 because the demand is there is price gouging.
I am in agreement with hawkguy. I don't consider it price gouging on something that is not a life necessity. The things you mention in the quote above are in an extreme situation and at that time are for sustaining life. Big difference IMHO. I don't have a problem with anyone including retailers charging what they can get for a product. On the retailer side of it, I see it as short sighted. They can do as they please but consumers know when they are being taken advantage of, or at least I do. There are certain gun related retailers that I refuse to do business with because they took advantage the first time BHO was elected. These same retailers have had some smoking deals when the prices leveled back off but I did not do business with them because of their previous decision to take advantage of the people that keep them in business.

The private seller is a different matter to me. As a private seller, you should get what the market will bear. You have no obligation to a consistent consumer base that has kept you in business. If I had been smarter and dome some long term thinking I would have bought this stuff when prices were good and waited until a time like now to sell at a ridiculous profit. I have found that after talking to a good majority of the people complaining about prices, these are the people who did nothing to prepare and are now running around like chickens with their heads cut off paying through the nose for their lack of foresight.

Let's be honest here. Every time the liberals get majorities they want to take away guns. Simple, easy enough to follow. I personally don't think they will be able to get anything passed and this will fade over the next year. If that happens, I will take advantage of the smoking deals on lowers and high capacity mags. These items can be had at decent prices when the panic subsides and sold easily for what you paid for them in non panic times and for great profit when panic sets in. Make no mistake, if they are not able to pass anything now, this will be an issue in the future. Do yourself a favor and prepare. If you have what you need for yourself and immediate family, prepare to make money. If you need to prepare for yourself and immediate family, do so when times are right. Take personal responsibility and prepare rather than blame others for your short sightedness.

PREPERATION - I have said this before and it bears repeating. Take a look at our current financial situation in this country. Do you honestly think the politicians on either side are going to quit spending our money until things crash and they have no choice but to put austerity measures in place only because they have to. I personally don't. When that time comes and it will come, what have you done to prepare for that? I am no tin foil hat guy but the writing is on the wall and if you don't see it, that is because you don't want to. You want to stay safe in you comfort bubble. I suggest you do some modest preparation for you and your immediate family. Beans, rice and 25 year shelf life foods can be bought at reasonable prices right now and stored easily. Right now the panic is about guns. What happens when it is a life necessity like food. Don't be that guy who is empty handed when that time comes. Prepare for yourself and immediate family. Don't tell others what you are doing so as not to become a target when times get rough. Personal responsibility now when it makes sense or have it forced on you when hunger sets in. Worst case if we pull out of our financial crisis, that stuff can be donated to the needy and everybody wins.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #13

Liked 1279 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 308

There is a difference in making a fair profit and gouging. Most retailers base their prices on what it cost them to replace their invenories. Fair enough. When you double your prices on stuff in stock, that is gouging. For those of us who buy gun and ammo and related items, we need to write down the businesses that have been involved in gouging. Right now it is a seller's market, later it will become a buyer's market. That will be the time to tell the sellers, "remember your practices at the first of the year?", well, I am buying elsewhere; have a nice day.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #14

Liked 4789 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

We were at a gun show yesterday and will be today. I think there were as many Walk in selling guns as dealers. Most of the AR-15 being offered for sales were results of these AR-15 Kitchen Builds.
I have never seen so many screwed up firearms in my life. We bought several of these so called builds. We are stripping them and reselling them as parts. One rifle had a mix of illegal parts.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #15

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Lets take this as a for instance. I am sitting on 3 AR's that I bought strictly because I gambled on the assault weapon ban coming back into existence. I paid about $500 each for them and I would sell them today for $1700-$2500 each. Would I be considered a price gouger, or an investor? It's a sellers market, make what you can, while you can.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I recently sold a DPMS BCG and a M&P complete lower for $600. Total cost for me was about $400. If you can get people to pay, it's not gouging.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #17

Liked 675 Times on 526 Posts

just remember, the same people with high prices scalping you now, will be begging you to feel sorry for them when it passes. then its your turn to let them know how you felt. dont buy anything.
ying/yang.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #18

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13 View Post
Lets take this as a for instance. I am sitting on 3 AR's that I bought strictly because I gambled on the assault weapon ban coming back into existence. I paid about $500 each for them and I would sell them today for $1700-$2500 each. Would I be considered a price gouger, or an investor? It's a sellers market, make what you can, while you can.
No, you're fine. By beef is by businesses. And to add, here's why. A lot of businesses have inside deals with manufacturers. Some manufactureres are only selling to authorized dealers right now.
Plus businesses have more money than the average gun owner. Who cares if you have 20-30 mags you want to sell.

Now a business goes right to the manufacturer, orders 1000 mags, at wholesale, or reduced cost. They dry up the supply, and sell for $60 bucks each?

I mean, there ARE price gouging laws on the books....

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #19

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

List of states with anti-price gouging laws...

http://knowledgeproblem.com/2012/11/03/list-of-price-gouging-laws/

Me wonders if CTD has broken the law.... hmmmmmmmmm.....

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #20

Liked 675 Times on 526 Posts

gouging laws are for things like emergency situations, not buying novelty or recreational items like guns.(toys)
when someone charges 250.00 a sheet for plywood for hurricane victims, trying to comply with insurance rules or damaged property, thats what the law is intended for.

the way i view this hype over guns being banned, i tend to side with dealers....if the guys buying it are stupid enough to buy it, let them. let the market ride.
why?
because its everywhere, not just near one area.
everyones going crazy.

and as its said, a fool and his money shall soon part.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 01-13-2013 at 04:18 PM.