Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > some would call it "price gouging"...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2656 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 1672

Default some would call it "price gouging"...

...others might call it "investments."

seriously, why are some so openly hostile when others are asking prices on firearms "that the market will bear?"

example....if i bought gold at "X" cheap price when the market was down, and then sold it it at "X" high price when the market is up.....is this "price gouging?" how about those that turn a profit this way with real estate? stocks anyone?

i have some high cap mags i will soon try to dump at a stupidly high price so i can fund other projects. if someone is willing to pay...why would i be the bad guy? to judge this process as price gouging almost seems like calling capitalism "price gouging." this is simply turning a profit by taking advantage of a booming market imo. if you don't like it, don't buy while business is booming.

just my opinion of course, let me hear yours.

Last edited by hawkguy; 01-13-2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: typo
NitroxAZ Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #2

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Here's how I see it.

You can do whatever you want. It's your property, I fully agree. Sell it for $10,000 a mag if you can get it.
I don't know you.

But a company is like, "Hey...I'm here for you..we're in this together. Well fight for our second amendment together, since it affects us all. We all have a dog in this fight."

Then times get rough and the company says "Okay, pay me $60 bucks a mag...for no reason other than, that's what I can get right now."

Are they right? I don't know, I guess so. They can charge whatever they want, but it feels like being stabbed in the back.

They will NOT get my business in the future.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

If someone is dumb enough to pay triple that's their business... And when the market levels out and is flooded with 50 Million black rifles, all these guys will lose big. I'll buy a couple then for about $500 each.

With that being said, I don't think you are the bad guy, I get ticked off at the prices, but the buyer determines those, not the seller.

Now this is speaking of the private sales, when a company triples their prices overnight, it's inexcusable. I understand that distributors prices rise too, but not the next day, not at that level anyway.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Last edited by sputnik1988; 01-13-2013 at 04:49 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #4

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Here's how I see it.

You can do whatever you want. It's your property, I fully agree. Sell it for $10,000 a mag if you can get it.
I don't know you.

But a company is like, "Hey...I'm here for you..we're in this together. Well fight for our second amendment together, since it affects us all. We all have a dog in this fight."

Then times get rough and the company says "Okay, pay me $60 bucks a mag...for no reason other than, that's what I can get right now."

Are they right? I don't know, I guess so. They can charge whatever they want, but it feels like being stabbed in the back.

I know what ya mean and i did find "dirt" cheaper somewhere else
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #5

Liked 2656 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Here's how I see it.

I don't know you.

i see your point. it makes more sense to keep a customer happy for a lifetime vs sticking it to him to get a few extra bucks now.....but, sadly....very few companies see the logic in this.

but i still think if people are paying these prices, it is what the market will bear. if they won't pay, prices come down....

Last edited by hawkguy; 01-13-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Mosin Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8055 Times on 4649 Posts
Likes Given: 10397

I'm selling off surplus ammo right now and getting market prices for it. Those prices are wel and above what I would even think of paying to anyone, but I am not buying right now. If prices come down in a few weeks or months, I may re-invest in some more ammo for the next run on it.

I totally agree with you though, it is frustrating. I would like to get some powder right now, but the prices are too elevated to justify it. I just pray that they don't stay this high for long, as I will eventually run out of what I do have in stock. It is the law of supply and demand more so than what the market will bear. Unfortunately there are people out there who are willing to pay the exorbitant prices so there you go.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

In my opinion there is a lot of price gouging going on right now. So how do I define price gouging? Let me tell you how we see it here in Florida. If gas is normally $3.00 a gallon, and a hurricane is coming, having the gas stations along the evacuation route raise their prices to $5.00 a gallon is price gouging. After the electricity goes off charging $5.00 for a $1.00 bag of ice is price gouging. Following that logic, selling a $30 magazine for $75 because the demand is there is price gouging.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 514

I have a good stash of ammo. People want to buy 22 ammo in this area. I have been selling CCI mini mags $10 for 100 rounds. One guy said I was price gouging. I replied "you don't have to buy the ammo." I am making a 20% profit on the ammo. The LGS is charging $35 for 500 rounds of CCI Blazer 22 ammo. He can go there next time he needs ammo.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

I agree cheaper than dirt is messed up for charging more than double for ammo.
It 's price gouging if only a few people are doing it. Not everyone has been taking advantage of people. I found a company that didn't raise there prices at at all. So if your taking advantage, then it's price gouging in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have a good stash of ammo. People want to buy 22 ammo in this area. I have been selling CCI mini mags $10 for 100 rounds. One guy said I was price gouging. I replied "you don't have to buy the ammo." I am making a 20% profit on the ammo. The LGS is charging $35 for 500 rounds of CCI Blazer 22 ammo. He can go there next time he needs ammo.
Care should be taken in selling ammo. I would suggest that you check the federal and state laws. And don't forget about sales tax and zoning.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)