Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   some would call it "price gouging"... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/some-would-call-price-gouging-81166/)

hawkguy 01-13-2013 04:27 AM

some would call it "price gouging"...

...others might call it "investments." :p

seriously, why are some so openly hostile when others are asking prices on firearms "that the market will bear?"

example....if i bought gold at "X" cheap price when the market was down, and then sold it it at "X" high price when the market is up.....is this "price gouging?" how about those that turn a profit this way with real estate? stocks anyone?

i have some high cap mags i will soon try to dump at a stupidly high price so i can fund other projects. if someone is willing to pay...why would i be the bad guy? to judge this process as price gouging almost seems like calling capitalism "price gouging." this is simply turning a profit by taking advantage of a booming market imo. if you don't like it, don't buy while business is booming.

just my opinion of course, let me hear yours.

Mosin 01-13-2013 04:32 AM

Here's how I see it.

You can do whatever you want. It's your property, I fully agree. Sell it for $10,000 a mag if you can get it.
I don't know you.

But a company is like, "Hey...I'm here for you..we're in this together. Well fight for our second amendment together, since it affects us all. We all have a dog in this fight."

Then times get rough and the company says "Okay, pay me $60 bucks a mag...for no reason other than, that's what I can get right now."

Are they right? I don't know, I guess so. They can charge whatever they want, but it feels like being stabbed in the back.

They will NOT get my business in the future.

sputnik1988 01-13-2013 04:33 AM

If someone is dumb enough to pay triple that's their business... And when the market levels out and is flooded with 50 Million black rifles, all these guys will lose big. I'll buy a couple then for about $500 each.:rolleyes:

With that being said, I don't think you are the bad guy, I get ticked off at the prices, but the buyer determines those, not the seller.

Now this is speaking of the private sales, when a company triples their prices overnight, it's inexcusable. I understand that distributors prices rise too, but not the next day, not at that level anyway.

Ultimate_sig 01-13-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 1091451)
Here's how I see it.

You can do whatever you want. It's your property, I fully agree. Sell it for $10,000 a mag if you can get it.
I don't know you.

But a company is like, "Hey...I'm here for you..we're in this together. Well fight for our second amendment together, since it affects us all. We all have a dog in this fight."

Then times get rough and the company says "Okay, pay me $60 bucks a mag...for no reason other than, that's what I can get right now."

Are they right? I don't know, I guess so. They can charge whatever they want, but it feels like being stabbed in the back.

I know what ya mean and i did find "dirt" cheaper somewhere else

hawkguy 01-13-2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 1091451)
Here's how I see it.

I don't know you.

i see your point. it makes more sense to keep a customer happy for a lifetime vs sticking it to him to get a few extra bucks now.....but, sadly....very few companies see the logic in this.

but i still think if people are paying these prices, it is what the market will bear. if they won't pay, prices come down....

Vikingdad 01-13-2013 05:09 AM

I'm selling off surplus ammo right now and getting market prices for it. Those prices are wel and above what I would even think of paying to anyone, but I am not buying right now. If prices come down in a few weeks or months, I may re-invest in some more ammo for the next run on it.

I totally agree with you though, it is frustrating. I would like to get some powder right now, but the prices are too elevated to justify it. I just pray that they don't stay this high for long, as I will eventually run out of what I do have in stock. It is the law of supply and demand more so than what the market will bear. Unfortunately there are people out there who are willing to pay the exorbitant prices so there you go.

Doc3402 01-13-2013 09:47 AM

In my opinion there is a lot of price gouging going on right now. So how do I define price gouging? Let me tell you how we see it here in Florida. If gas is normally $3.00 a gallon, and a hurricane is coming, having the gas stations along the evacuation route raise their prices to $5.00 a gallon is price gouging. After the electricity goes off charging $5.00 for a $1.00 bag of ice is price gouging. Following that logic, selling a $30 magazine for $75 because the demand is there is price gouging.

John_Deer 01-13-2013 10:29 AM

I have a good stash of ammo. People want to buy 22 ammo in this area. I have been selling CCI mini mags $10 for 100 rounds. One guy said I was price gouging. I replied "you don't have to buy the ammo." I am making a 20% profit on the ammo. The LGS is charging $35 for 500 rounds of CCI Blazer 22 ammo. He can go there next time he needs ammo.

lopequa 01-13-2013 10:41 AM

I agree cheaper than dirt is messed up for charging more than double for ammo.
It 's price gouging if only a few people are doing it. Not everyone has been taking advantage of people. I found a company that didn't raise there prices at at all. So if your taking advantage, then it's price gouging in my opinion.

danf_fl 01-13-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1091630)
I have a good stash of ammo. People want to buy 22 ammo in this area. I have been selling CCI mini mags $10 for 100 rounds. One guy said I was price gouging. I replied "you don't have to buy the ammo." I am making a 20% profit on the ammo. The LGS is charging $35 for 500 rounds of CCI Blazer 22 ammo. He can go there next time he needs ammo.

Care should be taken in selling ammo. I would suggest that you check the federal and state laws. And don't forget about sales tax and zoning.