some times it just seems they dont understand - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > some times it just seems they dont understand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Regular Folks & Guns

The message sent out by America's leadership reaches very far and wide, and touches nearly everyone who ever hears or sees a newscast.

The message is that You, the people, are safer in an environment containing no guns. It COULD be true, if such a place existed, but rest assured, "they" are working on that, cleverly excising one after another of our gun rights, mostly unconstitutionally.

My in-laws truly believed they were safer in their home gunless, that an intruder would not hurt them if they were not armed, but would likely maim or kill them if they were! Such logic totally escaped me, and I told them so. My father in law served in WW II, and was not a stranger to guns; somehow he caved in to the nation-wide belief that guns must go.

The other side of the coin is where individuals having widespread followings of people, such as Ann Landers had, perpetuate the anti-gun propaganda; these same persons are usually protected by armed guards themselves, but continually speak out against gun ownership. Needless to say, Ms. Landers, and any of the others such as Charles Schumer, Diane Feinstein, Obama, etc., would likely view self-defense for the INDIVIDUAL much differently, had they ever been raped, mugged, burglarized, or watched a loved-one injured or killed by some predator.

It is most difficult to open the minds of the brainwashed; attempting to do so meets firmer resistance, rather than possible positive consideration. So, you guys whose wives are still of the "guns are undesirable" mentality have a difficult position. One thing I have seen which changes outlooks is enrollment in a good self-defense class, in which the instructor uses solid examples and forceful explanation to prove the folly of "unarmed resistance". I have excerpts of such a class, which I can send to anyone who might like to view it- my eyes were surely opened by it, and perhaps your wives' eyes might be, too!

Just ask. Don't be bashful!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Draguno, guns are better than money in the bank. Banks often go under. My wife, too, is a product of small-town Indiana, the northern part, above Ft. Wayne, and when I met her she was shocked by my interest in guns. Or the money I put into buying more. Then she witnessed firsthand the buying frenzy at gun shows (we lived in Phoenix, then) as the country prepared for Clinton's restrictive "Crime Bill". Guys met me as I entered the door, asking to buy the AR, Uzi, or other "assault style" I was carrying.

That experience mellowed out her reluctance to accept more guns. 'Course, the A.D. I had which put a 9mm bullet through a wall and lodged it in an old T-V did not help matters!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #13

some times it just seems that the reason people dont understand or want to understand is the fear of not knowing. Not knowing guns and when you want to teach them something they either take it as a joke or get mad at you and walk away. Some times its the way they were raised guns were for hunting and thats all or there was no guns in the home.

WELL FOLKS its time for those people to learn about guns the way they are used. How they used so when it goes down if godforbid it does there not the one laying in the street or in the bushes dead.

My wife came to me today and finally asked me to teach her how to use a gun. She said that one of her friends was beat up and mugged last night and she thought it was a good idea if she could protect herself FINALLY.

So i grabbed a couple of hand guns and a shotgun and took her out side and taught her how to load them strip them hold them and shoot them. She had a blast at the range. She did tell me it doesnt mean i get to buy another gun so there goes the AR for another couple of months.

So i guess since im the one started this thread. Im glad she finally understands. But there are still people around me who just dont understand i guess ill keep working on them to.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
My wife came to me today and finally asked me to teach her how to use a gun. She said that one of her friends was beat up and mugged last night and she thought it was a good idea if she could protect herself FINALLY.
Score another one! The reality of evil in our lives ran smack into the "I don't need a gun belief." At least your wife understands that guns in the hands of the good guys is a social good. Good for her and good for you and good for society. Bad for the criminals, but....

Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #15

I guess I am an anomoly then

I shoot with my husband--and the rare occassion my score is better, I get to chant "you got beat by a girl" all the way home. hahahaha.

Seriously though, the shooting keeps our marriage together. Its something we both enjoy. As an added plus--when he is at the range with the boys, I know exactly where he is, what he is doing and who he is with

Last night we were on the computer looking at some nice side by sides on gunbroker. One of us is getting something nice for Christmas

A suggestion for you gents that have a gun fearing wife: find a friend who has a wife that shoots and then have 'her" introduce your wife/girlfriend to guns.

Also--trying getting a subscription to things like Women & guns magazine, and checking your local club to see if they have a ladies range day or some other type of program for women or youths.

Frequently women are either intimidated (not me--recoil does not disturb me), OR they simply do not like taking orders from husbands.

When husband and I first started shooting together, we had some intense fights on the range--whch is not a good place to be angry with the spouse

Just my two cents.

Oh and this past year I suggested my husband get a motorcycle too......

Does this make me a keeper? hahaha

Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
......Does this make me a keeper? hahaha
Ma'am, you are too good for words! One in a million, absolutely!!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10395 Times on 4485 Posts
Likes Given: 1652

Musket, my current shooting partner is one of my grandkids- she has been shooting with me for 2 years- currently age 12. Shoots 22rf at 50 and 100 meters- and anyone that thinks its "cute" that I "let the little girl shoot" gets met with a smile, and a casual offer to put 5 bucks on the next 5 rd group. (Gotta get the kid to quit hustling shooters- think she is saving up for an X-box or something) I DID get her a T-shirt that says "Shoot like a girl- if you CAN" Have taught all of our kids to shoot over the years, and working my way thru the grandkids. Marvelous what you can do with 12 yr old vision and reflexes!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #18

aw shucks--i'm not all that.

I get frustrated with antigun wives too. We have a few guys out at the club who have to lie to their wives and tell them they are out getting the lawnmower fixed or whatever.

Then there is a guy I know, whose wife only allows him one gun--the shotgun he hunts with--period. He was drooling over a shotgun I purchased last year, and when he asked wifey about buying another--she nixed that idea.

I mentioned to a coworker one year that I was letting husband get himself this neat little side by side for sporting clays. She about near had a heart attack--aren't you afraid of it shooting someone???!!!

Nope, I told her--my guns have never taken themselves out on joyrides shooting up the town.

But--she wanted to know why I would waste all that money on a shotgun?

Well the answer is simple. I was planning on letting him buy the shotgun so I could then get away with buying a target pistol...oops--she almost had a stroke.

We wont discuss the looks I got when the coworkers found out that I was buying boxes of shells as stocking stuffers.

But--there are a group of us couples--husbands & wives that shoot together on weekends. Its fun, and the ladies and gents do their respective things.

So again, I would encourage those with spousal "antis" to hook them up with other ladies who can take them out for some plinking and other nonscary gun related activities.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Musket, my current shooting partner is one of my grandkids- she has been shooting with me for 2 years- currently age 12. Shoots 22rf at 50 and 100 meters- and anyone that thinks its "cute" that I "let the little girl shoot" gets met with a smile, and a casual offer to put 5 bucks on the next 5 rd group. (Gotta get the kid to quit hustling shooters- think she is saving up for an X-box or something) I DID get her a T-shirt that says "Shoot like a girl- if you CAN" Have taught all of our kids to shoot over the years, and working my way thru the grandkids. Marvelous what you can do with 12 yr old vision and reflexes!
Thats great--this is where our future leaders come from. Now if "I" could just be twelve again

I think its great when I see folks bringing out the kids to teach them. In fact, one of the couples we shoot with on a regular basis bring along the son, who has become quite the shooter. He makes me jealous

Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
Thats great--this is where our future leaders come from. Now if "I" could just be twelve again

I think its great when I see folks bringing out the kids to teach them. In fact, one of the couples we shoot with on a regular basis bring along the son, who has become quite the shooter. He makes me jealous

I take my kids every chance i get one is 14 and he can shoot a pistol with the best of them. The other is 11 and she shoots 22lr at 30yds, 50 yds and
shes just starting at a 100yds. My youngest is 1 and im starting her with a bebe gun. My wife is so new that shes going to be just practicing the basics for awhile. I have been to the range a couple of times were there hasnt been any shooting lanes open and have started a poker game right there at the picnic tables. Its all in fun