Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Some dirty rat broke into my garage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Some dirty rat broke into my garage.

So this morning I’m getting out of the shower and getting dressed when I hear the alarm on my garage go off. I take the time to put on some underwear, grab the MP45 and run out thru the backyard. I had to call the dogs to go with me as they were still in bed. Lazy mutts. When I get there all the doors and locks are secure, and no one was inside.
I’m thinking some mouse or rat got to close to the alarms motion sensor. I’ve never had a false alarm from the system since I installed it four years ago. Time for some more Decon.

Looking back at the way I handled this I did a very poor job. I should have been acting as if I was going to find an armed intruder. I should have come from the other side of the house that gave more cover for my approach. I should have been more concerned with my safety then worried about the noise waking up the neighbors at 5:30am. The only thing I did right was bring the MP with me. And of course putting on the underwear.Luckily this turned out to be just a good learning experience.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sorry to hear about the rat. When I was in high school we had a rat come into our house. We had a VERY pregnant, due that week, weiner dog that was on that thing like white on rice. 5 am and this dog is chasing the rat all over the house until it cornered it, rat didn't stand a chance, dog didn't get so much as a scratch.

I think you can/have use this as a good training tool. You've identified what you did right and what you did wrong. Now take steps to improve on the areas of weakness. I think we can all be reminded to have a plan in the event of a break in.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #3

Glad to hear it wasn't a 2 legged vermin.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Looking back at the way I handled this I did a very poor job. I should have been acting as if I was going to find an armed intruder. I should have come from the other side of the house that gave more cover for my approach. I should have been more concerned with my safety then worried about the noise waking up the neighbors at 5:30am. The only thing I did right was bring the MP with me. And of course putting on the underwear.Luckily this turned out to be just a good learning experience.
Jo, good to know it was nothing serious and your safe. As you said, this was a good learning experience and you evaluated and critiqued your actions and will react differently if there is a next time, so something good did come out of it after all.

Rest of you damn guys type to fast.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glad everything turned out ok for you Jo, I had a simular incident happen last month,I have a detached garage, in which from the last Hurricane, I had a 10 thousand watt generator and four chain saw's, two of of the saws were never opened and used, so about 3 in the afternoon, my wife and I went to eat, when we got back, she went to the garage for the clothes, she called me and I saw that the garage door was open and the above items were gone, and this was in broad daylight!

So it does not make any difference if yo have a tank, it does no good if you are not there, a hard lesson learned. I do carry my XD when ever I leave, but have changed the way I enter the house up on returning,I used to just put it in my hip pocket when I got out of the car and opened the door to the house, I now have it in my hand with the safty off and unlock the door and cautiously look in the house, it was a wake up call to say the least. That made me realize that you never know what is on the other side of the door you are opening and it is best to be prepared to the utmost for any surprise.

Layton

Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gets the blood pumpin' at 5:30 though. Glad it was only an actual rodent!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4704

Glad it wasn't a burglar.

I'm sure the neighbors appreciated the undies, as would the paramedics had you taken a nasty fall.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Gets the blood pumpin' at 5:30 though.

Boy you got that right!

Need to change my avatar from the cat to a rat.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm glad it worked out okay. Lessons learned and no harm, no foul.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jo, Keep an eye out as it still could have been a two legged rat that ran when the alarm went off! Either way it was good training and no matter how many times you run a drill (in your mind or in real life) it's never the same when the arlam goes off.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.