Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   To soldiers past and present. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/soldiers-past-present-33931/)

redrover3569 11-03-2010 10:08 PM

To soldiers past and present.

I am new here and I have noticed that there are a number of soldiers and veterans that are members of this forum. I would like to send out a BIG THANKYOU. I do not care if it's been said a million times. As long as we have a free country, and those who would fight for it, this can never be said enough. I have never served myself. However a man or woman who would willingly give of themselves, through sweat, tears, pain, blood, lim, and life if need be, deserves the utmost respect of anyone who lives within these borders and you will always have mine.

Whether or not I agree with the directive of the soldier is beside the point. A soldier is given orders to carry out and is duty bound to do so. That is a fact that many remain willingly ignorant of in our country and chastise the soldier while apllauding his commander. Either way, I respect the one wearing the boots who would walk through hell so that I may have my freedom. I will not simply say thanks for your service because it's more than that. To give up your own freedom for a time in exchange for duty and service to your country shows the character of a man or woman. You must have the character or the service will be lacking and for this I solute you.

753X0 11-04-2010 06:30 AM

Thank you Red Rover, I appreciate that very much.
I'm going to forward this to my uncle, (he was awarded the Silver Star, and received a field commission to Captain). He will appreciate your kind words, as do I.

NGIB 11-04-2010 09:27 AM

We all welcome the appreciation but not all of us were soldiers. On this forum we have soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines...

AcidFlashGordon 11-04-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 380280)
We all welcome the appreciation but not all of us were soldiers. On this forum we have soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines...

...and we all took the oath to "protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic."

Welcome to the forum, Red, and thank you for your support of active duty and veteran personnel.

GNLaFrance 11-04-2010 12:17 PM

I'm proud of my service and appreciate the thanks, but every time some kind soul mentions the gratitude we all owe to veterans, the first thing I think is, "I wish I could have done more."

Sorry, I'm a bit down today. Thanks, redrover, for the thought.

NGIB 11-04-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon (Post 380311)
...and we all took the oath to "protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic."

Welcome to the forum, Red, and thank you for your support of active duty and veteran personnel.

Took the same oath again when I became a DoD civil servant...

CGO 11-04-2010 12:42 PM

I am married to a Vietnam vet ( Seabee )and two sons that are Marines.

I want to say that I am really proud of our men and women in uniform. They have given up so much to serve. And so many have lost their lives for doing so. Bless you all.....
Thank you!!!

spittinfire 11-04-2010 12:46 PM

Thank you, Redrover. Semper Fi!

redrover3569 11-04-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 380280)

My apologies sir. I used soldier as a default term. I meant no disrespect to any branch and the post was meant for all who have, are, or will serve this country. To me the term soldier is a reference to the character. All take an oath to protect, you only carry it out in different ways.

NGIB 11-04-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrover3569 (Post 380352)
My apologies sir. I used soldier as a default term. I meant no disrespect to any branch and the post was meant for all who have, are, or will serve this country. To me the term soldier is a reference to the character. All take an oath to protect, you only carry it out in different ways.

No offense taken by me at all as I was just an Air Force desk jockey. To avoid ruffling feathers, I always just use the term veteran...