Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Soldier Found Guilty of Mudering Afghans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Default Soldier Found Guilty of Mudering Afghans

Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs was found guilty in a military court Thursday of being the leader of a U.S. Army thrill kill team that murdered three Afghan civilians for sport.

He was sentenced to life in prison, but will be eligible for parole in nine years. Gibbs was also found guilty of 12 related charges, including taking body parts as trophies from corpses.

Full Story:Leader of 'Thrill Kill' Soldiers Found Guilty - ABC News

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Why are they killing civilians? Aren't there are plenty of terrorists they could get their "thrills" from insted? Sounds like he is just plain crazy.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 11-11-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:45 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Watched "Platoon" one to many times! Nine years isn't enough..on release they should turn him over to the Afgans!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

things happen in war most people will never understand, people can be changed in ways that most people will never even realize... maybe this was just his way of coping with the stress. I don't know anything about this guy I don't know what he's been through I don't know his history.

Is it any worse then what they're own people are doing? When terrorist use and IED and in the middle of a busy area they don't tell everyone in the area that's not a soldier about it they kill civilians as well as our own people.

I don't know this whole trial just seems like a giant wast of time and money to me.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 11-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear
things happen in war most people will never understand, people can be changed in ways that most people will never even realize... maybe this was just his way of coping with the stress. I don't know anything about this guy I don't know what he's been through I don't know his history.

Is it any worse then what they're own people are doing? When terrorist use and IED and in the middle of a busy area they don't tell everyone in the area that's not a soldier about it they kill civilians as well as our own people.

I don't know this whole trial just seems like a giant wast of time and money to me.
I'd have to agree. These guys got caught doing the wrong thing, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. That's all.

I've seen some of the best men I know do some pretty batty **** at times while in combat. Maybe they began to lose it; maybe they already have. I don't know.

TBH, I've found myself laughing after engaging insurgents.

If you've been in combat enough, and it doesn't take the same amount of time for everyone, you begin to hate the enemy with a passion. That alone can make a man do strange things.......

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs was found guilty in a military court Thursday of being the leader of a U.S. Army thrill kill team that murdered three Afghan civilians for sport.

He was sentenced to life in prison, but will be eligible for parole in nine years. Gibbs was also found guilty of 12 related charges, including taking body parts as trophies from corpses.

Full Story:Leader of 'Thrill Kill' Soldiers Found Guilty - ABC News

Right or wrong, following orders or conscience, don't mean a thing.
Karma, that irrefutable divine law of cause and effect, will visit him
irrespective of politics and spewable soundbites. God is no respecter
of religion or politics. "Ye will reap what ye sow."

Old 11-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #7

Likes Given: 2

I thought killing Afghans was the point.......... We need one of the Motivational posters for the liberals that has a picture of a soldier handing out supplies to the ENEMY! and the message says "WAR: You are doing it Wrong"

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 11-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11
I thought killing Afghans was the point.......... We need one of the Motivational posters for the liberals that has a picture of a soldier handing out supplies to the ENEMY! and the message says "WAR: You are doing it Wrong"
Yes it is. And that'd be awesome!

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Actually, we are there to drive the Taliban and Al Queda out. We want Afgan to be a democracy like us, but that will probably not happen in our lifetimes.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Actually, we are there to drive the Taliban and Al Queda out. We want Afgan to be a democracy like us, but that will probably not happen in our lifetimes.
Many of the Taliban along with Al Qaeda ate Afghani. Many are Pakistani, Iranian, and Iraqi. The same goes in Iraq. Hell, SOME are Russian. Blew my mind when I heard one being interrogated in Russian!

"Sua Sponte"