Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Soda blasting? Media blasting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/soda-blasting-media-blasting-88878/)

orangello 04-15-2013 08:21 PM

Soda blasting? Media blasting?

I have a set of wheels for my car that need to be stripped; they were painted by the previous owner and have since been scuffed by tire mounting and such to the point that I want to remove all the paint from the wheels.

My brother-in-law has a small media blaster of some type at his shop, but he is a very busy guy. I'm wondering if I could figure out how to blast the paint off these wheels for myself.

Soda seems like a safer material to use, but I don't know if it will be stout enough to get the paint off.

Anybody got any experience with soda or media blasting?

I can borrow a smallish compressor and wouldn't mind buying some attachments to try this myself.

mountainman13 04-15-2013 08:25 PM

It's a piece of cake. Point and spray. Start with the less abrasive media and if it doesn't cut it move up. If it isn't in a cabinet make damn sure to wear a mask and glasses.

HOSSFLY 04-16-2013 12:14 AM

Playsand in the bag should work fine on wheels, i think the pressure used makes as much difference as the media used--Experiment ;)

c3shooter 04-16-2013 12:26 AM

DO NOT USE PLAY SAND. Silica sand is especially harmful when used in a sandblaster. While you are not going to get THAT much just doing one set of wheels, once you get silica in your lungs, there is no way to get it out.

And I can tell you that silicosis is a crappy way to die- my dad had too many years running a rock drill w/ no dust collector.

Soda should work. Or sub it to someone that has the right equipment to bead blast them for you.

BTW, the reason that we use Black Beauty (coal slag)- no silica.

EW1066 04-16-2013 01:39 AM

Does anyone still use wallnut shells? I had heard that it works great. But I have no first hand experience with it.

EDUB

Axxe55 04-16-2013 01:48 AM

another factor to consider is the air supply or source. most sand blasters require lots of air volume. blast cabinets usually use lots of air volume, but not a lot of pressure depending on the material used for blasting and the item being blasted.

external sandblasters use lots of air pressure and volume and waste lots of blasting media.

the wheels being blasted, as to what they are made of, how much paint or rust is on them will determine what blasting media you need to use. inquire at some body shops that do restorations for ideas as to what to use. lots of places that do powder cating usually have their own media blasting equipment.

might be safer and cheaper to just find someplace that does this type of work and farm it out.

orangello 04-16-2013 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm going to check out the equipment my BIL has & decide afterwords.

nitestalker 04-16-2013 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bring your car over to our shop OJ. We will clean your wheels.:eek:

HOSSFLY 04-16-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1215216)
DO NOT USE PLAY SAND. Silica sand is especially harmful when used in a sandblaster. While you are not going to get THAT much just doing one set of wheels, once you get silica in your lungs, there is no way to get it out.

And I can tell you that silicosis is a crappy way to die- my dad had too many years running a rock drill w/ no dust collector.

Soda should work. Or sub it to someone that has the right equipment to bead blast them for you.

BTW, the reason that we use Black Beauty (coal slag)- no silica.

Awww CRAP---
How long I got C3? :(

c3shooter 04-17-2013 12:04 AM

Your time was up six years ago.

We thought something smelled strange, but we did not want to mention anything......:p

Seriously, inhaling silica (takes really tiny particles to inhale, but rock drill and sandblasting produce that size) is equal to inhaling tiny glass knives. They scar the air sacs of your lungs- scar does not transfer oxygen. When it gets to the point that you cannot lay down to sleep, bacause you can't breathe laying down....