So you wanna be a quitter?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > So you wanna be a quitter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default So you wanna be a quitter?

Post your successes and challenges, and even failures, right here.

This is for those vices that you know are just dead weight that need to be trimmed from your life.

Tobacco (smoke and smokeless), alcohol, whatever. Eating junk food. Doesn't matter.

If it's been detrimental to your life, and you have quit, are quitting, or have tried to quit, then share your story.

Last edited by trip286; 10-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Smoked my last cigarette on 16 March 2012. Had smoked with only minor interruptions from Nov 1984.
Chantix works! But... it will screw with your mood, badly. I was an irritable SOB while I was on it. It's worth it, though.
Junk Food? Life's too short to abandon ALL bad habits. You can have my bacon when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I quit smoking cigs for a year and a half. Started back up when my parents got divorced almost two years ago. On and off struggle ever since.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Soda was a biggie for me. I drank 4-5 cans a day for near 30 years. It has given me an ulcer and caused who knows what other harm. I gave it up about 3 months ago and I feel a ton better. Now I limit myself to one or two a week. People say it's nothing compared to tobacco, but I have never been addicted to that so I don't know. What I do know is that too much soda will rot a hole in your gut.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #5

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

I hate smoking!!! I love smoking!!!

Easier to kick a fuggin drug habit than this!! I've "quit" a few times in the last few years. Made it 2 months once before I cheated. Was right back to the norm in 2 days after that.

Used gum, patch, & Wellbutrin. Patch worked best of those. Next is an appointment with a hypnotist. Last resort is chantrix. Planning on quitting being a Christmas gift to me and the fam. I'll be putting $3 a day in a jar as well to save for a reward on the 6 mo and 1 yr anniv.

Sicerely wish you the best of luck, trip!!

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com
tshoot91 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

I started this thread because it's recently come up in another. And I noticed that several others have been in the same boat, or are trying, and have had, or are having, a hard time.

I started smoking occasionally when I was 14. I was one of those stressed out teens. I had a job, school, and a girlfriend, and nothing ever seemed to be going right.

By 16 I was smoking a pack a day. I joined the Marine Corps at 17, got married and had a kid eventually, went overseas a couple of times, finished my contract, had trouble finding jobs because the economy was just starting to take it's downturn. Bills kept piling up.

So, the cost of smoking was rising. So was the cost of gas, food, and everything in between.

I found cheaper ways to smoke. Rolling my own, cranking them out on a machine, and with a pipe. So I was saving money in a way. I look at it now, most recently it's been taking me about 80 cents to a dollar to make a full pack, versus anywhere from 2-6 dollars for a pack of brand name smokes, and my preferred brand is around $5.15ish.

My ex degraded me over smoking, and that didn't help matters any. It just pissed me off.

But, as I mentioned in the other thread where I brought this up to begin with, my son has been asking me to quit. My girlfriend doesn't smoke. No one in my family smokes anymore.

So, this past Sunday, the 21st, when I ran out of filtered cigarette tubes to make smokes with, I just made the choice to not go buy anymore. I had my last cigarette sometime around 5-7 PM that evening.

I've been pissed off and hungry.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #7

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71 View Post
I hate smoking!!! I love smoking!!!

Easier to kick a fuggin drug habit than this!! I've "quit" a few times in the last few years. Made it 2 months once before I cheated. Was right back to the norm in 2 days after that.

Used gum, patch, & Wellbutrin. Patch worked best of those. Next is an appointment with a hypnotist. Last resort is chantrix. Planning on quitting being a Christmas gift to me and the fam. I'll be putting $3 a day in a jar as well to save for a reward on the 6 mo and 1 yr anniv.

Sicerely wish you the best of luck, trip!!
One Marlboro Red, even after a month on not smoking will throw you right back under the bus.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Smoked my last cigarette on 16 March 2012. Had smoked with only minor interruptions from Nov 1984.
Chantix works! But... it will screw with your mood, badly. I was an irritable SOB while I was on it. It's worth it, though.
Junk Food? Life's too short to abandon ALL bad habits. You can have my bacon when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
Keep your bacon. It's not junk food, it's a miracle from the heavens.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

So, this past Sunday, the 21st, I had my last cigarette sometime around 5-7 PM that evening.

I've been pissed off and hungry.
Hey good for you man! I hope you can keep the habit at bay. Think of all the accessories you can justify purchasing...it will add up over time.

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
Soda was a biggie for me. I drank 4-5 cans a day for near 30 years. It has given me an ulcer and caused who knows what other harm. I gave it up about 3 months ago and I feel a ton better. Now I limit myself to one or two a week. People say it's nothing compared to tobacco, but I have never been addicted to that so I don't know. What I do know is that too much soda will rot a hole in your gut.
A 12 pack a day of Mountain Dew and dont plan on quitting I'm 19 6 ft 142 lbs soaking wet