Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   So you wanna be a quitter? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/so-you-wanna-quitter-75020/)

trip286 10-25-2012 03:42 PM

So you wanna be a quitter?

Post your successes and challenges, and even failures, right here.

This is for those vices that you know are just dead weight that need to be trimmed from your life.

Tobacco (smoke and smokeless), alcohol, whatever. Eating junk food. Doesn't matter.

If it's been detrimental to your life, and you have quit, are quitting, or have tried to quit, then share your story.

Overkill0084 10-25-2012 03:52 PM

Smoked my last cigarette on 16 March 2012. Had smoked with only minor interruptions from Nov 1984.
Chantix works! But... it will screw with your mood, badly. I was an irritable SOB while I was on it. It's worth it, though.
Junk Food? Life's too short to abandon ALL bad habits. You can have my bacon when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

tshoot91 10-25-2012 03:58 PM

I quit smoking cigs for a year and a half. Started back up when my parents got divorced almost two years ago. On and off struggle ever since.

JD1969 10-25-2012 04:00 PM

Soda was a biggie for me. I drank 4-5 cans a day for near 30 years. It has given me an ulcer and caused who knows what other harm. I gave it up about 3 months ago and I feel a ton better. Now I limit myself to one or two a week. People say it's nothing compared to tobacco, but I have never been addicted to that so I don't know. What I do know is that too much soda will rot a hole in your gut.

LongBaller71 10-25-2012 04:02 PM

I hate smoking!!! I love smoking!!!

Easier to kick a fuggin drug habit than this!! I've "quit" a few times in the last few years. Made it 2 months once before I cheated. Was right back to the norm in 2 days after that.

Used gum, patch, & Wellbutrin. Patch worked best of those. Next is an appointment with a hypnotist. Last resort is chantrix. Planning on quitting being a Christmas gift to me and the fam. I'll be putting $3 a day in a jar as well to save for a reward on the 6 mo and 1 yr anniv.

Sicerely wish you the best of luck, trip!!

trip286 10-25-2012 04:15 PM

I started this thread because it's recently come up in another. And I noticed that several others have been in the same boat, or are trying, and have had, or are having, a hard time.

I started smoking occasionally when I was 14. I was one of those stressed out teens. I had a job, school, and a girlfriend, and nothing ever seemed to be going right.

By 16 I was smoking a pack a day. I joined the Marine Corps at 17, got married and had a kid eventually, went overseas a couple of times, finished my contract, had trouble finding jobs because the economy was just starting to take it's downturn. Bills kept piling up.

So, the cost of smoking was rising. So was the cost of gas, food, and everything in between.

I found cheaper ways to smoke. Rolling my own, cranking them out on a machine, and with a pipe. So I was saving money in a way. I look at it now, most recently it's been taking me about 80 cents to a dollar to make a full pack, versus anywhere from 2-6 dollars for a pack of brand name smokes, and my preferred brand is around $5.15ish.

My ex degraded me over smoking, and that didn't help matters any. It just pissed me off.

But, as I mentioned in the other thread where I brought this up to begin with, my son has been asking me to quit. My girlfriend doesn't smoke. No one in my family smokes anymore.

So, this past Sunday, the 21st, when I ran out of filtered cigarette tubes to make smokes with, I just made the choice to not go buy anymore. I had my last cigarette sometime around 5-7 PM that evening.

I've been pissed off and hungry.

tshoot91 10-25-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongBaller71 (Post 989334)
I hate smoking!!! I love smoking!!!

Easier to kick a fuggin drug habit than this!! I've "quit" a few times in the last few years. Made it 2 months once before I cheated. Was right back to the norm in 2 days after that.

Used gum, patch, & Wellbutrin. Patch worked best of those. Next is an appointment with a hypnotist. Last resort is chantrix. Planning on quitting being a Christmas gift to me and the fam. I'll be putting $3 a day in a jar as well to save for a reward on the 6 mo and 1 yr anniv.

Sicerely wish you the best of luck, trip!!

One Marlboro Red, even after a month on not smoking will throw you right back under the bus. :(

trip286 10-25-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 989323)
Smoked my last cigarette on 16 March 2012. Had smoked with only minor interruptions from Nov 1984.
Chantix works! But... it will screw with your mood, badly. I was an irritable SOB while I was on it. It's worth it, though.
Junk Food? Life's too short to abandon ALL bad habits. You can have my bacon when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Keep your bacon. It's not junk food, it's a miracle from the heavens.

astroman 10-25-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 989352)

So, this past Sunday, the 21st, I had my last cigarette sometime around 5-7 PM that evening.

I've been pissed off and hungry.

Hey good for you man! I hope you can keep the habit at bay. Think of all the accessories you can justify purchasing...it will add up over time.:)

carbon15man 10-25-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD1969
Soda was a biggie for me. I drank 4-5 cans a day for near 30 years. It has given me an ulcer and caused who knows what other harm. I gave it up about 3 months ago and I feel a ton better. Now I limit myself to one or two a week. People say it's nothing compared to tobacco, but I have never been addicted to that so I don't know. What I do know is that too much soda will rot a hole in your gut.

A 12 pack a day of Mountain Dew and dont plan on quitting I'm 19 6 ft 142 lbs soaking wet