Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   So much for Christmas plans (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/so-much-christmas-plans-35690/)

ScottA 12-17-2010 04:25 AM

So much for Christmas plans

Put new Goodyear Eagles on my car last year. They got me through last winter quite well. Today I got back out in the snow, and you would have thought I was driving on bald tires. I don't even have 20,000 miles on these tires.

$600 for 2 new snow tires and wheels. I'm sick of this winter crap, so I'm going with dedicated snow tires this time. There's goes my budget for a new pistol purchase after Christmas... unless someone surprises me.

I hate winter. :mad:

doctherock 12-17-2010 04:29 AM

I bought an all weather tire, snowflake on the sidewall means its also a traction device. They are working good so far.

ScottA 12-17-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctherock (Post 404517)
I bought an all weather tire, snowflake on the sidewall means its also a traction device. They are working good so far.

The Goodyears were all-weather as well.... but apparently for only one season.

willfully armed 12-17-2010 12:19 PM

from websters dictionary

Quote:

Goodyear. Proper name.

Overhyped union made rubber products that are easily twice the cost of what they should be, and ring true to their name, as they are often only GOOD for a YEAR!
Their only good tires are truck tires. Passenger tires suck.

spittinfire 12-17-2010 12:24 PM

I personally have never had good luck with Goodyear. Traction and wear has always been poor for me from any Goodyear product I've tried. I've always had good luck with BFG and Michelin. In the BFGs I've gotten 60,000 out of Long Trails and All Terrains, had both in over a foot of snow with no issues. The All Terrains traction was better though, especially under breaking. They have become my tire of choice for my truck, great traction on any surface. They also have the snowflake so they are severe weather rated, M&S rating from the past is a joke.

My dad swears by Michelin and only puts LTX M/S on his truck and Explorer. Snow traction is good but they don't like much mud. He has gotten 90,000 miles out of several sets and they weren't into the wear bars when he replaced them. They're quiet and ride smooth. They are expensive but you just can't argue with that kind of mileage.

spittinfire 12-17-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 404592)
from websters dictionary

Their only good tires are truck tires. Passenger tires suck.

If by truck you mean heavy truck, I will agree but their light truck tires suck too.

willfully armed 12-17-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 404596)
If by truck you mean heavy truck, I will agree but their light truck tires suck too.

if its under 10m, its only a pickup.......

cpttango30 12-17-2010 01:19 PM

My last three sets of goodyears SUCKED BIG GAINT HAIRY DONKEY NUTS.

The factory set on my Saturn lasted 15,000 miles if that. Then they had large chunks coming out of them. I used to love goodyear tires. They were a quality tire that you could afford.

If you want the best tires out there Michelin is the way to go. Expensive French but they are quiet have a good warranty and do what they say they are going to do.

I would buy Kumho before buying Goodyear anymore.

Michelin
Bridgestone
Firestone
Sumitomo
BF Goodwrich
Dunlop
Prelli
Yokohama

are all good tires that I would put on my car.

Used to be a tireman at a Petro and on the side for my dad when he owned his own tire shop.

I could sell the crap out of some truck tires. I once sold a guy 18 tires all bridgstone and had them all mounted in under an hour. It looked like a NASCAR pit crew with one guy in that tire day.

Michelin tires are quiet because they have a slightly softer sidewall that other tires. But like spitty said they are great tires.

doctherock 12-17-2010 01:22 PM

Tango I do believe the Michelin brand is made in the UK. At least all my bus tires are.

ScottA 12-17-2010 01:46 PM

The new snow tires are Michelins. I foresee a new set of all season or summer Michelins come next spring. Definitely not getting Goodyear again.

Had pretty good luck with my last set on Continentals as well. I'll have to go check out Consumer Reports again when the time comes.