So I married a Democrat...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > So I married a Democrat...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default So I married a Democrat...

This is a re-print of a post from another forum being shared with permission from the original poster.

==========================

So I married a Democrat...

My wife and I get into discussions about CHL and use of force and whatnot every now and then. She’s an artist…so you can imagine which side of the fence she’s on… She bites her tongue most of the time, but once in awhile, she blurts out complete nonsense about how dangerous it is for me to be carrying a loaded firearm. “If someone’s going to rob you, just give them your belongings”, “if someone is going to break into your home, just let them be and they’ll leave”, etc. You get the idea, a liberal from a totally different world. The other day, she had heard a news story about a guy with a knife who carjacked someone, they fought back and got stabbed to death. She began her usual, “if that idiot would have just given up the car and ran away…” when I broke in and said: what would you do? Of course she said, “I would just get out of the car and run, can't stab me then”. Then I said: Ok, what would you do if someone did it right now (motioning back to our 16 month old strapped in his car seat)?

Silence…

She just realized there are things worth fighting over. She posed the question back to me. I told her that my family and my own safe escape from a situation is always first. Anytime that I thought we could escape without injury by giving up valuables or a car, that’s the way it’s going to be. But, you try to pull me out of my vehicle with my kid locked in the back or you back us up in a corner? It’s going to get real ugly, whether I’m armed or not. She agreed. Now she wants a pink gun…

It’s funny how people’s views on a situation can change when you put the important things into the equation.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Great story. Puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Great post!

Things are never worth losing your life over but loved ones is a totally different situation.

I know this is most likely a made up conversation but I've always liked it as an explanation to a liberal about why wealth distribution is bad:

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be very liberal, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, “How is your friend Audrey doing?” She replied, “Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.”

Her wise father asked his daughter, “Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.”

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, “That's a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!”

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, “Welcome to the conservative side of the fence.”

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
Great post!
Touche. I love your post as well.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great posts and on the money!! Libs never get it until the government they love so much is picking their pocket!!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I've told this story before, but it's another along these lines and 100% true.

When I met my woman, Andrea, she had some friends who very close to her and had helped her through some very rough times when she had a medical issue that falls into the 99% safe medication to take scenario, she was the 1% that wasn't.

Anyways they are cool people. Married, live and worked in Seattle at the time, in an uber liberal part of the City. She biked to work or took the bus when it was raining outside and he only had a small, economic car because he worked outside of the city.

About a year after knowing them they bought an older house in a part of Seattle that isn't "bad" but didn't have the best crime stats either. Established community, but also some established crime stats that went with it. They invited us over and the husband, knowing my background, asked me about a few things for making the house "safer".

We did a threat assessment and I made some easy recommendations, one of which was a firearm for the home, just in case, and to change the old school panel doors to the backyard along with motion lights.

Fast forward 6 months and nothing had changed. They were still living in the place making "improvements" to things like the bathroom and kitchen. No changes to the overall security of the place, nor did they want anything to do with a firearm.

One day while at work a crew came ( at least three people according to the cops and the shoe/mud prints ) kicked in the backdoor ( because it wasn't solid wood ), reached in, unlocked the door and proceeded to ransack the place. They even used the kitchen knives to cut the flatscreen off the drywall and the fished in wires that went to the connections. They tore this place UP!

Suddenly they wanted to know about shotguns and go to the range with us and all about deadbolts that lock with a key and not a latch. A complete 180 degree turn from everything they had professed to believe in before when we had talked about this stuff.

All it took was that ONE instance to snap them back into the real world where bad things do happen to "good" people.

They have a very nice and secure house now with motion lights, an ADT system, solid doors and they even got a guard dog. Hey, it's a start.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

What I always find sad about the "conversion" stories is it usually takes a negative event for folks to realize that they must control their own safety & security. JDs friends only lost stuff - some folks lose their life and don't get a second chance to rethink their life strategy...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6672 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
What I always find sad about the "conversion" stories is it usually takes a negative event for folks to realize that they must control their own safety & security. JDs friends only lost stuff - some folks lose their life and don't get a second chance to rethink their life strategy...
its sad but liberalism kills more people than cancer.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
True but hopefully, spreading the word via stories like this will help someone avoid that.

I will take one convert anytime.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1334 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I had seen DrJason's "conversation between Father and daughter" years ago. My then liberal daughter was a college student and talking about how her friend was having difficulty with grades because of supposedly a job, but mostly from screwing off. When I suggested that she share her grades, she reacted like the post did. That lead to a conversation on conservative values. She listened. Much better then I thought. Now though her boy friend is a big time Obama supporter, she voted Republican. She had a problem with an old boy friend who was harassing her, and when I suggested she get a carry permit, she agreed immediately and now carries 100% of the time.

So, this stuff will sink in. Even my wife is now talking about getting a carry gun. We just have to find her one she can shoot. So far we have worked up to 22.