So I got the Cowboy hat....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > So I got the Cowboy hat....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default So I got the Cowboy hat....

Tango's pet thread revealed that we have horse people here.

This is kind of a bucket list thing for me, as I've never done it, and should, once, before I die. Something I can take a picture of with that inexpensive Digital Camera (thanks, guys).

What is the best way to go about riding a horse? I'm 240, do I need a Clydesdale? What would be considered a consumate horse ride?

I don't heal as fast as I used to, so I don't want a horse named "Satanic Demon." I think "Cotton Ball" would suit me fine.

What's involved?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post

This is kind of a bucket list thing for me, as I've never done it, and should, once, before I die. Something I can take a picture of with that inexpensive Digital Camera (thanks, guys).

What is the best way to go about riding a horse? I'm 240, do I need a Clydesdale? What would be considered a consumate horse ride?

I don't heal as fast as I used to, so I don't want a horse named "Satanic Demon." I think "Cotton Ball" would suit me fine.

What's involved?
Finding a stable that rents.
They will have a cotten ball for your size.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Anything I should look for? I'm completely ignorant of this, and I keep mentally rewinding the Walker Texas Ranger episode where Chuck breaks the wild horse after being thrown for 20 minutes of an hour long show.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just pray you don't get some stable bound nag that wants to return to the stall at warp 1 from across the pasture!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, you probably want a horse that isn't too wide or too narrow. Most people that don't ride ever experience some seriously sore inner thigh areas because of how wide the horse is and trying to keep your knees in while you ride. It's quite uncomfortable. The reverse is true if the horse is too narrow.

Make sure your horse is a trail horse, one that is used to going where you are going and isn't going to fight you. Any place that rents horses will have these type of broken spirits..

Get a good look in your horses' eyes before you try and jump up on him/her. That will tell you a lot. If the horse gives up the side of the neck and just wants to be pet, you are good. If the horse stares you down, you probably aren't going to enjoy that particular ride unless you want a fight.

I effing hate horses! And yes, I have the right to say that because when I first got out of high school, and had a live in g/f, I bought her a $5400 Arabian offspring named Zeus from a well respected ranch in these parts.

That damn animal cost more money every damn time I turned around he needed something. Riding saddle, show saddle, special bit ( because his gums were sensitive ) special shoes ( because Arabians can have hoof problems ) vet bills out the rear end. It was a black hole money pit with a tail and good teeth.

Go and have a ride, then run far away..... Just my opinion...

JD

Old 08-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post

What's involved?

You are going to need a good strong sturdy horse, but I would not go as far as to say that you will need a Clydesdale. Do you plan on buying a horse? If so you need to make sure you have a proper place to keep it. You will need a place to exercise it. A stall for it or just a place to shelter it etc. A field for grazing and a place to ride. You will need a good deal of time with the horse everyday or someone who can spend that time with the horse. You will be paying huge sums of money on feed and tack and you will probably want a tack room built somewhere. The feed for the horse needs to be put away safely so that the horse CAN NOT get to it. If it does you run a very high risk of the horse colicing (Horse colic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) You will need to learn how to saddle a horse (Saddle Your Horse - How to Saddle Your Horse Step-by-Step) You will also need to know how to put a bridle on the horse (This is how to find what size bridle fits your horse and shows you how to put one on. How To Fit A Bridle On Your Horse (Lifestyle & Home: Horses)) and then you will approach the horse from the left hand side. You will put your left foot into the stirrup and place your left hand on the horn of the saddle and you will lift yourself onto the horse. Try to lower yourself gently so as to not spook the horse. You will want to make sure when you buy the horse that it is FULLY broke and that it neck reigns. To make a horse go you simply click your heels lightly and most horses if they have been broke properly will respond immediately, sometimes you must also make a light clicking sound with your mouth at the same time. To make the horse turn if it is neck reigned you grab the reigns in one hand (I prefer using my right) To make the horse turn left you pull the reigns to the right this si done at the shoulder do not lift the reigns too much and do not pull them to hard or far or you may risk splitting your horses mouth. To go faster you of course repeat the clicking. To slow the horse you pull back on the reigns slightly and to make the horse stop you need to pull back a little more firmly and say "ho" or "whoa" or something similar (please keep in mind that you must never snatch the reigns or risk harming your horse and possibly yourself) That is all I can think of at the moment feel free to ask questions.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And JD is right in some aspects horses can be EXTREMELY expensive especially now in this economy.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Horses know when you have little or no experience, and the mean ones will fuk with you. Watch as you come near a wall or a post. They love to rub their side along it crushing your leg. Lift your leg up by the horse’s neck if they try this. They also head for low hanging branches and when you duck they throw their head back to head butt you in the face. Keep your head on the side of their neck to stop this. They will also make very fast turns hoping to throw you off when you are not paying attention. I used to ride my friends horse. Big, strong and evil. He would throw spit over his shoulder at me. My friend had me slap him on top of the head to let him know I was in charge. But that horse loved to run and what an amazing feeling to be on the back of such a powerful animal.

Of course these are LA horses. Probably gang related.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All good replies.

Benning, 240 isn't anything to worry about. I'm about 220 and don't worry about anything I put my leg across. Like everyone has said, any good rental place will have something to fit you if you just want to go for a trail ride. Ditto about the look in their eye. Go up and make friends first. A lot of it has to do with trust. Another place to look is a reputable trainer or someone that gives lessons. Call and tell them that you are interested. You'll be invited out so you can interview THEM, and check out the facility. If you're not sure if this is something you'll enjoy getting into ask if you can ride one to see if you're even going to like it. We have people come out all the time that just want to look and end up spending an hour or so with them, so it's no big deal.

Buck is a four letter word that our horses never learn. My wife and I are both in our early 40s, and hitting the ground hurts, so we don't play that game. We don't do speed or timed events (barrel racing, roping, cutting....). What we do is show Western Pleasure and Halter horses, so everything we do is slow. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or anything.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah, gotta do it, if only once, but backing out isn't optional.

How do I know, doing the eye thing, that I'm not engaging in a pi$$ing contest before I get on? If I determine that the horse is gonna give me problems, will I know before I get on, or will he be devious and wait till I'm committed to act up?