So far so good.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > So far so good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default So far so good.

I just got back from the recruiter. All and all, I qualify for the medical program in the Navy. My best friend qualified to be a nuclear physicist. :/
Anyways, I will be getting the paper work together here real soon. Then I will sign, go to the physical and get shipped off to basic.... in 3 to 8 months......

There are a lot of former and current military people here, so what is your advice.
I had one guy tell me to avoid prostitutes like the devil....

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not a current or former military person.....but thank you!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you go to Norfolk, Va., the old 'strip' is long gone. It's all industrial park now.

West coast may be a different story.......

Charleston Naval Base was surrounded by 'Indian Country' in the 80's - dangerous to walk off base at night. Likely still the same.

I liked the Navy - did my first hitch in the USAF and was BORED...... The Navy actually sent me places on my second hitch - great fun!

On shipboard, the 'doc' is well respected, especially if he has a good 'bedside manor' and knows how to give shots without much pain. Master that, you will get along well!

And congrats - the military is a great experience that will be with you for life. It defines the way you will comport yourself decades from now!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thank you for your service and I'm soo jealous of you, I have to wait two more years and finish college. Are you going in as a corpsman or a medical officer? One of my best friends was kind of a drain on society after high school and he joined the navy and is a corpsman at portsmouth naval hospital and he is doing really well for himself, from what I've seen the navy medical program is top notch. good luck and god bless.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
If you go to Norfolk, Va., the old 'strip' is long gone. It's all industrial park now.

West coast may be a different story.......

Charleston Naval Base was surrounded by 'Indian Country' in the 80's - dangerous to walk off base at night. Likely still the same.

I liked the Navy - did my first hitch in the USAF and was BORED...... The Navy actually sent me places on my second hitch - great fun!

On shipboard, the 'doc' is well respected, especially if he has a good 'bedside manor' and knows how to give shots without much pain. Master that, you will get along well!

And congrats - the military is a great experience that will be with you for life. It defines the way you will comport yourself decades from now!
Wait wait wait, Indian country? Please explain.......

I am actually not going to be that kind of a doctor.......
I will be a physical therapist. I want to help the wounded or the people that do dumb stuff. Unfortunately, my father had to go to therapy for 3 months while in the Marine Corps. because of dumb stuff..... -_-
I'll probably end up in therapy as well......

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid20 View Post
Thank you for your service and I'm soo jealous of you, I have to wait two more years and finish college. Are you going in as a corpsman or a medical officer? One of my best friends was kind of a drain on society after high school and he joined the navy and is a corpsman at portsmouth naval hospital and he is doing really well for himself, from what I've seen the navy medical program is top notch. good luck and god bless.
I will be going in as a corpsman.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent! Even if yer' gonna' be a squid.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Excellent! Even if yer' gonna' be a squid.
Yeah, dad is a Marine and he has been calling me a squid off and on since the first visit with the recruiter.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yeah well, I was an Air Force Wingnut, so don't sweat it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 08-06-2010 at 03:46 AM.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #10

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I went Air Force so I can't offer Navy advice for active duty... But if you get to or near DC give me a PM and I'll buy you a beer.

Thanks for serving, it will change your life and for the better.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson